Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 12:03 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,898,903 times

Advertisements

Jesus, the SJWs have even taken over the College Board...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 12:05 PM

15,622 posts, read 10,376,759 times
LMAO!

https://twitter.com/iowahawkblog/sta...61989488181249

Old 05-16-2019, 12:09 PM

17,767 posts, read 13,656,554 times
I honestly don't see what the big deal is. Article says the students don't see the "adjusted diversity score" and the colleges are allowed to see it. SAT is just doing more data mining. Colleges get more info on the risk of admitting lower test score students.

Then again, I don't see what the big deal is about "participation trophies" since I'm in the trophy business.

Old 05-16-2019, 12:16 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,513,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
stevie wonder could’ve seen that one coming.

Old 05-16-2019, 12:18 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,798,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I honestly don't see what the big deal is. Article says the students don't see the "adjusted diversity score" and the colleges are allowed to see it. SAT is just doing more data mining. Colleges get more info on the risk of admitting lower test score students.

Then again, I don't see what the big deal is about "participation trophies" since I'm in the trophy business.
The big deal is that it is being used as a factor in the SAT, thus the score which is a factor in a person getting accepted or not.

Old 05-16-2019, 12:36 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,377,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
So you get extra points if your father left you and your mother depends on welfare?
You are screwed if you live in a happy family and your hardworking parents care about your education?

-------------------------------------
The College Board plans to assign an adversity score to every student who takes the SAT to try to capture their social and economic background, jumping into the debate raging over race and class in college admissions.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/sat-to-...nd-11557999000
I wonder if I can get something?! My white parents grew up in a part of the south in the 50s and 60s where the economy was dependent on cotton. That meant that the entire community had to pick cotton come September to pay for school clothes and books and to keep the very poor economy going. How many points could I get?

Old 05-16-2019, 12:47 PM

16,909 posts, read 10,578,652 times
It’s clear that a group of liberal people in this country think certain groups just can’t compete academically with others.

Old 05-16-2019, 12:55 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,148,069 times
Quote:
So you get extra points if your father left you and your mother depends on welfare?
Yep, dumb it all down to the lowest common denominator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
According to liberals, such an allowance would be flatly racist.
Good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Whenever anyone proposes "Voter ID" laws, requiring people to get ID cards proving they are eligible to vote, they immediately scream that black people would have more difficulty getting such cards because they live farther away from the office that issues them, or can't pay a fee (if any) as easily as whites, etc. etc. And therefore, "Voter ID" discriminates against black people on the basis of RACE.

By this "logic", the same liberals would have to conclude that the SAT test will become reverse-biased against whites, for the same reason... because a greater percentage of black people would live in adverse circumstances.

And therefore, the SAT would be illegally discriminating against whites on the basis of RACE.

I'm sure that any minute now, the liberals will come piling in to scream against this clearly-racist proposal for the SAT.
Those are great examples of Liberal racism.

Liberals are admitting that certain groups are inferior, which is the classic definition of racism, that a group is superior to others in some way, shape or form.

Another bright shining example of Liberal hypocrisy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I'm not an Ivy League grad. However, why would you NOT favor admissions to the children of those people who donated to your school?
Because it's a demonstration of blatant bias and prejudice.

However, Ivy League schools are private schools, and not State-funded public schools, so they can take a few more liberties than a State-funded public university.

Yet, seeing how Ivy League graduates have totally dominated every facet of the federal government since FDR and left the US in a lurch, I'm not really seeing the value of an Ivy League education.

If it would be up to me, I would fire every single government employee that was an Ivy League graduate and replace them with graduates from the Big 10, PAC 10, SEC and ACC.

Those people live in the real world, not some ivory tower fantasy world, and they'd do a much better job of running the US.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:34 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,747,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I'm not an Ivy League grad. However, why would you NOT favor admissions to the children of those people who donated to your school?

Money doesn't grow on trees.
It is true. But we also need to notice that Ivy schools and alike receive huge funds from government too.
Half of Harvard's research funds are from the federal government.

Harvard University
> Total federal funds (fiscal year 2015): $550.5 million
> Annual R&D expenditure: $1.0 billion

Old 05-16-2019, 01:45 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,648,020 times
Quote:
It is true. But we also need to notice that Ivy schools and alike receive huge funds from government too.
Half of Harvard's research funds are from the federal government.

Harvard University
> Total federal funds (fiscal year 2015): $550.5 million
> Annual R&D expenditure: $1.0 billion

Well- those are probably federal grants, for which professors apply. They are still private schools as the salaries provided by grants are to be used for support doing research, not teaching. Nearly ALL private schools even have on their admission forms questions regarding legacy. Notre Dame really finds this to be an important issue.

Again, I really don't care if private schools use legacy as an admission requirement. But when the buildings and salaries of the staff are provided by the state, then that is a problem.

Not everything in Harvard is great. I got into their med school and residency for my specialty, but went elsewhere for each. I really thought that both the med school, but to a greater extent Mass General, were dumps compared to big ten medical schools, which had faculty that actually taught and far better facilities. It is my understanding that both Mass General and Hopkins look much nicer today, but in the 80s they were dumps. Dumps with great reputations, but still dumps. Mayo Clinic and most of the big ten medical schools look like the Emerald City in comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies