Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2019, 09:02 AM

4,507 posts, read 1,862,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
"Homeless Industrial Complex".

I swear you cant make up comedy that funny.
It’s real.

It’s the evil machine dominated by liberals. A growing number of flourishing organizations making millions from the homeless.

When it costs $20million to build a “permanent supportive housing” facility with only 200 beds....corruption runs rampant. When it costs millions for a van to drive these people around......corruption runs rampant.

These people will fight to the bitter end to protect drug use and to decriminalize any crime because it continues to grow their customer base.

Open your eyes. Pure evil is at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 09:09 AM

[quote=phinneas j. whoopee;55200317]
Quote:
Originally Posted by southking500 View Post

A dozen homicides in 400 camps isnt a lot. And if the victims were their own who cares?
The fact is being homeless is not a crime. Being a drug addict is not a crime. There are laws on the books to cover the crimes they do commit. Putting people in jail for minor offenses tends to make them career criminals. How is that working when we already have the worlds largest prison population?
Freedom and rights are a peculiar thing in America. Like it or not these people do have the right to get high and live in squalor. Our current system with its inequality of wealth means that squalor is a tent on a public street.
Its not so much of a choice as you'd think, most of these people were productive at one time. I'd say they just gave up caring at some point when faced with the futility of lifes problems. You know how hard it is to make ends meet with entry level employment? Your whole take home pay alone wont even pay half the rent in many big cities. So why bother working? They learn to get by. I do not approve of their criminal behavior but a lot of you are oversimplifying the issues here on how each of these people got where they are and what their futures will be.
Whats undeniable is they are citizens and they too have rights and you cant lock them up because you dont like the blight they impose on the community.
The rosy economy really isnt so rosy so their numbers will continue to grow.
You know what increases rent? Increased demand for apartments.

You know what increases demand for apartments? Increased number of people who need apartments.

You know what increases the number of people who need apartments? Illegal immigration.

But, you crave illegal immigration.....

But you then complain that rents are too expensive.....

Fascinating.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:19 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
This largely because of the prescription opiod epidemic, not pot.
Nope. See my topic showing that opioid use and deaths are worse than ever despite a 40 percent decline in prescriptions.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:55 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Quote:

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:08 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It should be considered an emergency, no? This is happening all over the US cities right under our assaulted noses, because feces do not smell rosy, and nothing changes. Therefore, it must be acceptable. How much are we going to take and what happens when it gets worse because we accept it as normal.

homelessness has been a problem since before the great depression. so what would you do to reduce or end the problem? many attempts have been made to address the issue, from building housing for the homeless to opening up shelters, to putting them in jail, etc. and NONE f these programs has worked. oh yes i know that there have been some minor successes here and there around the country that people can point to and say we need more of this.

but reality check here, the only reason that is possible is because the people that have been helped WANTED to be helped, and were ready to be helped. when i worked for the salvation army hospitality house many years ago as a winter program driver, one of my jobs was picking up donations after dropping off the homeless i retrieved from the shelters. to assist me in picking up these donations the house gave me a helped, someone who was homeless but wanted to get help for their problems, get clean and get back into society.

and i did what ever i could to help them, listened to their problems, not being judgemental, offering what ever help and advice i could give them, and giving them encouragement when they needed it. of the ten different helpers i had, eight of them left the program because they were not up to following the rule of staying sober. in the end they were not ready to be helped getting back into society.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:09 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,732,254 times
It's the liberal cities that are full of homeless. The "Seattle is Dying" video states that 100% of them are on drugs, alcohol, and/or are mentally ill. They don't bust the drug dealers if they have less than so many grams of product on them, it's asinine!
Even in my hometown it's become a huge problem, our police report used to be 1-2 pages long, maybe 50-60 issues in a week, now there is 14-17 pages of theft, fighting, vandalism, rape, car prowl, 90% of it centered around the homeless camps.
Then, we spend millions on "studies" and handouts and the money just seems to "disappear".

Old 05-17-2019, 10:16 AM

37,961 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It should be considered an emergency, no? This is happening all over the US cities right under our assaulted noses, because feces do not smell rosy, and nothing changes. Therefore, it must be acceptable. How much are we going to take and what happens when it gets worse because we accept it as normal.

Deviancy down, it's the way of the Democratic Party. It's what gives us sanctuary cities, racially segregated college graduation ceremonies, news rooms banning guests with views the host disagrees with, and human feces in the streets of Seattle and San Fransisco, etc...

Old 05-17-2019, 10:20 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,732,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
homelessness has been a problem since before the great depression. so what would you do to reduce or end the problem? many attempts have been made to address the issue, from building housing for the homeless to opening up shelters, to putting them in jail, etc. and NONE f these programs has worked. oh yes i know that there have been some minor successes here and there around the country that people can point to and say we need more of this.

but reality check here, the only reason that is possible is because the people that have been helped WANTED to be helped, and were ready to be helped. when i worked for the salvation army hospitality house many years ago as a winter program driver, one of my jobs was picking up donations after dropping off the homeless i retrieved from the shelters. to assist me in picking up these donations the house gave me a helped, someone who was homeless but wanted to get help for their problems, get clean and get back into society.

and i did what ever i could to help them, listened to their problems, not being judgemental, offering what ever help and advice i could give them, and giving them encouragement when they needed it. of the ten different helpers i had, eight of them left the program because they were not up to following the rule of staying sober. in the end they were not ready to be helped getting back into society.

Not much of the programs work because we aren't institutionalizing them. Jail is just a free meal and warm place to sleep. One homeless man bashed all the windows out of our post office last winter so he COULD go to jail. Sadly, many of them are hopelessly addicted to drugs, cannot be saved, and will be found dead on the streets. Meth addiction for instance has a less than 10% recovery rate. But, not dealing with the drug problem, and in fact only greatly encouraging it by decriminalizing smaller amounts, is just plain stupid. EVERY drug dealer now knows that he just has to carry a small amount, and return to his stash to restock several times a day and won't be arrested anymore. Then, these addicts obviously need money to buy drugs, so where does that come from? They shoplift, break into homes and cars, assault people on the street, and so on.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:22 AM

37,961 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:

Not anymore odd as an abortion industrial complex, or green energy industrial complex. Find just about any social agenda item pushed by the Democrats and you will find special interest groups associated with the Democratic Party who profit obscenely from their free government subsides.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Then, we spend millions on "studies" and handouts and the money just seems to "disappear".
This, right here folks is the Homeless Industrial Complex at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies