Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 05:28 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times

Advertisements

Society gets the government it deserves. No pity for Americans. We’ve had it too easy for too long and our grandchildren and their children will pay the price.

Old 05-17-2019, 06:54 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
There's less people in the UK and they don't have a huge surge of illegals coming through their border to support. It seems the Baby Boomer generation will be getting screwed if the Democrats have their way. If I wanted to send my children to pre-school and college, I had to pay for it myself. Now I pay for EEE through my tax dollars. The taxpayers fund education for another 18 years and now they want us to pay for college educations also. I have my own health insurance, which I am very happy with but the Democrats want to take that away from me and force me to pay for the whole Countries, including illegals. Sounds like something I should be jumping up for joy about.
Exactly. The U.S. is NOT the UK, nor Canada. We are a very diverse, 335 million populace country with essentially Open Borders where now the Democrats want to make permanent through Amnesty. You can't finance healthcare for the ENTIRE WESTERN HEMISPHERE. "Free" college is another subject.

Old 05-17-2019, 07:21 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,582,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Exactly. The U.S. is NOT the UK, nor Canada. We are a very diverse, 335 million populace country with essentially Open Borders where now the Democrats want to make permanent through Amnesty. You can't finance healthcare for the ENTIRE WESTERN HEMISPHERE. "Free" college is another subject.
The premise that the richest country in the world is incapable of doing what dozens of developed countries already do makes no sense at all. There are many reasonable counterarguments to single payer healthcare, but impossibility is not one of them. We absolutely can finance universal healthcare for the entire US - there is no question about it, particularly given what we already spend on healthcare.

Old 05-17-2019, 07:34 AM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
The premise that the richest country in the world is incapable of doing what dozens of developed countries already do makes no sense at all. There are many reasonable counterarguments to single payer healthcare, but impossibility is not one of them. We absolutely can finance universal healthcare for the entire US - there is no question about it, particularly given what we already spend on healthcare.
True.

But we would need strict immigration policy too, like every other developed country. You can have universal healthcare, or you can have open borders, but you can’t have both.

Vote Republican, and get no universal healthcare.

Vote Democrat, and get universal healthcare, until it goes bankrupt a few years later because of endless illegal immigration.

Ain’t America great? We have only two viable political parties, and both of them suck.

Old 05-17-2019, 07:38 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
True.

But we would need strict immigration policy too, like every other developed country. You can have universal healthcare, or you can have open borders, but you can’t have both.

Vote Republican, and get no universal healthcare.

Vote Democrat, and get universal healthcare, until it goes bankrupt a few years later because of endless illegal immigration.

Ain’t America great? We have only two viable political parties, and both of them suck.
I'd be willing to look at hybrid systems (not Obamacare) to ensure people have healthcare insurance that doesn't bankrupt them, or leave them at risk. However, we need to CLOSE THE BORDER from Illegal Aliens first. Nothing can be done until that occurs. We can't finance healthcare for the world.

I recently visited the VA with a friend who goes there for his healthcare as he was hurt while in the service, and has permanent disabilities from it. It was horrific. That is not the model we should use for this country.

Old 05-17-2019, 07:49 AM

2,923 posts, read 977,125 times
salon media that is basically bankrupt? please tell us what newsweek said too. only a fool would listen to salon

Old 05-17-2019, 07:52 AM

2,359 posts, read 1,033,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post

People believe we should have all kinds of things until it's time to pay for them.

As a corollary: These same people are the ones who fully expect someone else (and not themselves) to do the paying part.

Old 05-17-2019, 07:52 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
its not that it is an impossibility.........its about DETAILS that the liberals REFUSE to address

let's look at health care:
currently we spend 1.3 trillion FEDERALLY (taxpayer money funding the budget) on medicare/Medicaid/VA

Medicare is a 80/20 INSURANCE (not 100% coverage, you must buy supplemental insurance...and many denials of service

Medicare for all will COST an additional 3.6 trillion ANNUALLY

a true singlepayer (100% coverage for all, no copays (it is after all SINGLE-payer) would cost an additional 5 trillion OVER what we (the governments budget) are paying currently

see its not an impossibility...but liberals FAIL to share details or answer simple questions like these two:

Question one: what guarantees does John Doe have about the QUALITY of SERVICE?.... we have seen the horror clinics of the Dept Of Health...will there be the multitude of Denial of Service like we already see with medicare??

question two: how will this be funded...how is the GOVERNMENT going to raise an additional 3.6t to 5 trillion...we already have a budget deficit....raising taxes wont get you an additional 5 trillion, unless you are going to tax EVERYONE at 75% (rich and POOR too)

that is just about the health care for 335 million Americans... and liberals keep pushing about giving this to illegals too

----------------------------------------------------------------

now to "free education"

any given year there is about 20 million people attending college
the average cost for a bachelors degree is 36k per year or 144k for a bachelors degree (including r&b) if you do it in the normal 4 years (some people can do it in less, some people take a little longer)
https://www.studentdebtrelief.us/new...-college-2018/

if you were to use the average 36k and multiply if by the average number of people attending college annually (20m)... that is 720 Billion....annually

again not impossible..but the DETAILS

will there be standards (like must maintain a 3.0 GPA)??
will this cover multiple degrees???
if you fail ONE course..are you no longer funded...what is the turn around time for a second chance (if any)??

so with "free health care" and "free college" we are talking about 5 trillion ADDITIONAL dollars, and 720 Billion dollars... nearly 6 trillion in NEW BUDGET COST

where is the magic money coming from???

Last edited by workingclasshero; 05-17-2019 at 08:04 AM..

Old 05-17-2019, 07:59 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,604,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
There are very few Democrat run school districts I would want to send my kids... Las Angeles, Detroit, NOLA, NYC, Dallas, Houston

.... Nope, Nope, Nope and Nope.

Very few major Dem run cities that are not near Bankrupt.

Very few large Dem run States that are not near Bankrupt.

Very few large Dem run cities that don't have a high crime problem.

Very few large Dem run Cities that don't send Politicians to Prison on Corruption Charges on a regular basis.

Basically Dems run their Govts in a Corrupt, Bankrupt, Bad Schools, High Crimes, Crap on the street. Not a place I want to live.
You know the states with the best education systems are Dem states, right? You can pull cities out all you want, but it just shows how little you know. Of course crappy run cities are Dem. You know why? Because nearly EVERY large city is run by Dems.

It's like saying, "Look at all these poor counties in (insert southern state) that are red!". Of course they are, because most of the counties are red. This is common sense. It doesn't mean Dems are bad because some cities are bad, just like it doesn't mean Reps are bad because some Rep run counties are cesspools.

But, I guess I shouldn't expect someone like yourself to care about the actual reasoning, as long as it fits your whole "Dems are terrible! They all suck!" mantra.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:45 AM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
its not that it is an impossibility.........its about DETAILS that the liberals REFUSE to address

let's look at health care:
currently we spend 1.3 trillion FEDERALLY (taxpayer money funding the budget) on medicare/Medicaid/VA

Medicare is a 80/20 INSURANCE (not 100% coverage, you must buy supplemental insurance...and many denials of service

Medicare for all will COST an additional 3.6 trillion ANNUALLY

a true singlepayer (100% coverage for all, no copays (it is after all SINGLE-payer) would cost an additional 5 trillion OVER what we (the governments budget) are paying currently

see its not an impossibility...but liberals FAIL to share details or answer simple questions like these two:

Question one: what guarantees does John Doe have about the QUALITY of SERVICE?.... we have seen the horror clinics of the Dept Of Health...will there be the multitude of Denial of Service like we already see with medicare??

question two: how will this be funded...how is the GOVERNMENT going to raise an additional 3.6t to 5 trillion...we already have a budget deficit....raising taxes wont get you an additional 5 trillion, unless you are going to tax EVERYONE at 75% (rich and POOR too)

that is just about the health care for 335 million Americans... and liberals keep pushing about giving this to illegals too

----------------------------------------------------------------

now to "free education"

any given year there is about 20 million people attending college
the average cost for a bachelors degree is 36k per year or 144k for a bachelors degree (including r&b) if you do it in the normal 4 years (some people can do it in less, some people take a little longer)
https://www.studentdebtrelief.us/new...-college-2018/

if you were to use the average 36k and multiply if by the average number of people attending college annually (20m)... that is 720 Billion....annually

again not impossible..but the DETAILS

will there be standards (like must maintain a 3.0 GPA)??
will this cover multiple degrees???
if you fail ONE course..are you no longer funded...what is the turn around time for a second chance (if any)??

so with "free health care" and "free college" we are talking about 5 trillion ADDITIONAL dollars, and 720 Billion dollars... nearly 6 trillion in NEW BUDGET COST

where is the magic money coming from???
How much money did we spend on the Iraq war?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies