Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 06:09 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,397,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Well I dunno what any christian pro-lifer thinks, but you seem to believe only the wealthy and politically connected should posses a tool for self protection.
And the law has no mandate except to enforce the governments own rules, which is not be confused with your assertion that it is there to "protect life". You dont have to take my work for it, your own supreme court told you so.
Insurance is required in many aspects of our lives. Insurance is not only for the rich. If someone is killed because of one's negligence and actions that person should be held liable. The victim or their families deserve to collect. It makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 06:10 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
And just like that the left is on board with big insurance
Well Frank, most folk are left of you.

I am clear that I would not hesitate to increase my liability insurance if I chose to own a gun in the very, very unlikely event my gun accidentally injured / killed someone or harmed someone or damaged/ destroyed someone else’s property and I were sued.

No shortage of daily local stories throughout the US where an owner’s unintentional negligence or a simple accident causes harm to someone. When that happens, a civil suit commonly follows.

Thinking those with no assets figure they have nothing to lose.

Old 05-17-2019, 06:16 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...-NTSHEoVCup8YM

New York Senate Bill Would Require $1 Million Liability Insurance Policy for Gun Owners

A tax on your rights...

The Supreme Court has already ruled in that mess.
NO.

Old 05-17-2019, 06:19 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,494,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
I think any one who is into personal responsibility and who is truly pro-life and not a hypocritical conservative pro-lifer, will have no problem with this requirement. If your gun is used to kill or injure someone because of your negligence you should pay and the victim or their families whole be able to collect. Nothing wrong with that. The law will protect life.
LOL leftist hypocrisy strikes again.

When we suggest that there ought to have been an armed deterrence present to thwart a homicidal scumbag, ya'll suggest that's "victim blaming".

When it comes to someone exercising a constitutional civil liberty, should they become a victim of theft, and their firearm used in connection with a crime, it's suddenly perfectly fine to blame the victim?

I love how ya'll get to have your cake and eat it too...

The law will protect life. I've yet to see a law that protects life. A piece of paper with a bunch of words and signatures does nothing to protect life. Like the gun free school act. How many school shooters were deterred from descending upon school grounds with a firearm?
How many workplace shooters were deterred from descending upon an employers grounds with a firearm?
How many house of worship shooters were deterred from descending upon a house of worship with a firearm?

This will protect life how?

Old 05-17-2019, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
No, we want the bloodsucker in the health insurance industry completely removed from the equation, because they provide only expense with no benefits added. Liability insurance is a different matter entirely. You would be a damned fool not to have it on your home, especially if you have an attractive nuisance on the property. Ditto your automobile, even though it is required in most states before you can operate on on public thoroughfares. Liability insurance on guns would mean that you would take pains to store your weapons safely, out of the reach of the incompetent, children, and bad actors. THere are nothing but positives here.

The alternative would be mandatory prison time for a gun owner if the gun was not stored securely and was taken and used in a crime or used by someone to cause injury, intentionally or unintentionally. There are a couple of first world countries whose gun laws provide for such mandatory imprisonment if you cannot prove your gun was taken from a locked safe without your permission.
All but one state requires liability insurance as a condition to lawfully own a car. The exception is NH that allows those to demonstrate the financial wherewithal to cover the liability out of pocket.

Ship happens. People sue. The court will not appoint a public defender to defend you in the event of a civil suit. A component defense attorney charges $300-400/ hr in my neck of the woods and requires an upfront retainer.
There are court costs. And then there’s the judgment, in the event the court finds you responsible for the unintended injury/ damage.

Old 05-17-2019, 06:24 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,979,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...-NTSHEoVCup8YM

New York Senate Bill Would Require $1 Million Liability Insurance Policy for Gun Owners
Are they caving on gun control laws?

Old 05-17-2019, 06:25 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Funny how the Left says getting a voter ID disenfranchises the poor from a Constitutional right but they are ok with this. Hypocrisy is in their DNA
Seems to go both ways, no?

Old 05-17-2019, 06:25 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
Thank goodness there was no "gun insurance" back during the Revolutionary War

The Lefties would still be swearing allegiance to the King
Its amazing how many Tories are still around to this day!!

Old 05-17-2019, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
This is so against the federal constitution. We have a right to own a gun, it's not a privilege like driving. When are these power hungry politicians going to get it through their thick skulls?
Yet laws make that right conditional. Federal and state laws prohibit convicted felons from gun ownership. Some states have defined processes to restore those rights.

Old 05-17-2019, 06:28 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,397,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
LOL leftist hypocrisy strikes again.

When we suggest that there ought to have been an armed deterrence present to thwart a homicidal scumbag, ya'll suggest that's "victim blaming".

When it comes to someone exercising a constitutional civil liberty, should they become a victim of theft, and their firearm used in connection with a crime, it's suddenly perfectly fine to blame the victim?

I love how ya'll get to have your cake and eat it too...

The law will protect life. I've yet to see a law that protects life. A piece of paper with a bunch of words and signatures does nothing to protect life. Like the gun free school act. How many school shooters were deterred from descending upon school grounds with a firearm?
How many workplace shooters were deterred from descending upon an employers grounds with a firearm?
How many house of worship shooters were deterred from descending upon a house of worship with a firearm?

This will protect life how?
In answer to your highlighted questions, how many of those folks would have owned those guns if they had to buy insurance. Insurance cost will be based on the risk you pose. Like all insurance these companies will do an investigation to gage their risk. If you are on Facebook and social media and threatening violence, for instance, your insurance will be much higher. You will be deterred from buying a weapon because of insurance costs thus saving lives. Further, to keep insurance costs down, gun owners will also be much more careful how they handle their firearms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies