Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 11:54 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,945,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
we must cater to every group, no matter how ridiculous and expensive the cost, lest we risk the ear-splitting shrieks of 'xenophobe!!' and 'racist!!' from leftist nutbars.

Or...you know...being protected by the laws of this country shouldn't be limited to only English speakers. This may be the dumbest thread I've read on City Data and its got some tough competition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 11:55 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
New York, San Fran, L.A. Orlando and Miami are highly traveled areas for people to visit from outside the country that do not speak English. It isn't just for immigrants.
The courts utilize interpreters. The OP is just showing his/her ignorance on how the courts operate.

Old 05-17-2019, 11:55 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
It can take years and years to learn a language to a proficient level, and even more at a professional level. A person may know conversational English, but get lost in a legal type setting as even native speakers are at a loss when it comes to legalese.

You also have tourist who of course may not be fluent in the language of the country they are visiting.

Old 05-17-2019, 11:56 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
Or...you know...being protected by the laws of this country shouldn't be limited to only English speakers. This may be the dumbest thread I've read on City Data and its got some tough competition.
The day isn't over yet.

Old 05-17-2019, 11:56 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,585,801 times
Why would you not want to have as many interpreters available for witnesses or litigants in Court proceedings for whom English is not their primary language?

What an utterly absurd thing at which to take umbrage.

Old 05-17-2019, 11:57 AM

35,062 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
I agree... but
Irony...
Many people here pontificating have ancestors who did not learn English worth a darn. Their kids did.
You have hit a raw point here. Our ancestors to speak English when they first came. They worked during the day and went to night school in order to learn the English language. These night schools were provided by groups such as the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society (which now services other ethnic and religious groups) and other entities. Why can't Hispanic or Chinese people, certainly groups with a critical mass, organize and fund similar night education?

Old 05-17-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
You have hit a raw point here. Our ancestors to speak English when they first came. They worked during the day and went to night school in order to learn the English language. These night schools were provided by groups such as the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society (which now services other ethnic and religious groups) and other entities. Why can't Hispanic or Chinese people, certainly groups with a critical mass, organize and fund similar night education?
So a civil litigant should not be able to avail him/herself of the law or a witness should be barred from testifying because they haven't got around to completing night school yet? That is the argument here?

Old 05-17-2019, 12:00 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times
Quote:
Nevertheless, you're getting sandbagged on this one. The laws allow for court interpreters, period.

Old 05-17-2019, 12:01 PM

35,062 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
The courts utilize interpreters. The OP is just showing his/her ignorance on how the courts operate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
It can take years and years to learn a language to a proficient level, and even more at a professional level. A person may know conversational English, but get lost in a legal type setting as even native speakers are at a loss when it comes to legalese.

You also have tourist who of course may not be fluent in the language of the country they are visiting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Why would you not want to have as many interpreters available for witnesses or litigants in Court proceedings for whom English is not their primary language?

What an utterly absurd thing at which to take umbrage.
I don't think it's dumb in the least. When I went to Portugal as a tourist I made sure not to act in a manner where I intersected with the Court system. Why can't I go to other countries and compel them to provide me services in English if I commit a crime there?

Old 05-17-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I don't think it's dumb in the least. When I went to Portugal as a tourist I made sure not to act in a manner where I intersected with the Court system. Why can't I go to other countries and compel them to provide me services in English if I commit a crime there?
I'm not familiar with Portugal's judiciary, but I'm fairly certain that if you were a fact witness and your testimony need to be taken in a proceeding, they would provide you with an interpreter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies