Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2019, 02:23 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,750,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
You're still going to have to borrow money for years 3 and 4 if mommy and daddy don't have it. You won't be able to work enough hours your first and second years at community college to save up the $30k plus those final 2 years will cost
maybe, and maybe not. if you do, you won't have to borrow much. just live at home and go to a local school. there's probably a school located within an hour of most people. live at home and work part time. good chance you would graduate with zero debt. I live in VA, and state schools are pretty affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2019, 02:25 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
maybe, and maybe not. if you do, you won't have to borrow much. just live at home and go to a local school. there's probably a school located within an hour of most people. live at home and work part time. good chance you would graduate with zero debt. I live in VA, and state schools are pretty affordable.
Our state schools (ASU, U of A, NAU) are now $14k/year for full time students

Old 06-15-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Our state schools (ASU, U of A, NAU) are now $14k/year for full time students
that's below minimum wage if you are working full time. you could work 20 hours a week at around $10-11 an hour and graduate with next to zero debt.

Old 06-15-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
that's below minimum wage if you are working full time. you could work 20 hours a week at around $10-11 an hour and graduate with next to zero debt.
Not going full time you couldn't, you wouldn't have enough time to study and do assignments

Old 06-15-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Not going full time you couldn't, you wouldn't have enough time to study and do assignments
sure you could. my first semester I worked 45 hours a week and took 13 credits. it was actually pretty easy. that was one of my best semesters too.

Old 06-15-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
sure you could. my first semester I worked 45 hours a week and took 13 credits. it was actually pretty easy. that was one of my best semesters too.
That's you. One case doesn't make the norm

Old 06-15-2019, 03:52 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Depends on the major. If you’re majoring in something hard like engineering or medicine, forget working 40 hours a week. You’ll flunk out, most likely. The exception does not prove the rule.

Old 06-15-2019, 04:48 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
how does joe schmo benefit from drone bombing children in pakistan?
He works at Raytheon or many other employers...even little machine shops...that supplies the stuff.

I was amazed when a friend who owned a little machine shop told me the stuff he was making. Of course, he wasn't supposed to know exactly what it was for, but suffice it to say that a Joe Six-Pack who was working there was benefiting from submarine construction.

Old 06-29-2019, 07:29 AM

1,031 posts, read 638,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Biggest bunch of BS I ever laid my eyes on......(title/OP).

I saw this happen many a time. One example is water. Our town had some of the best water in the USA - so good it didn't even need to be treated. The "right people" got on the city council and, over the long term, made sure that a new pipeline from one of the dirtiest rivers in the country - fed our fair town. The price was much higher and the water sucked, but virtually every town had to adopt the new water (the county is powerful and made it so due to corporate gifts).....

Just one example, but I have many.

So you're suggesting that corporate bribery caused your Town's water to go down in quality and up in cost

What Corporation was interested in giving the county money?

... that's precisely what the thread is warning about LOL

Once private operators are in charge of your critical human infrastructure your democratically-elected government is out

prices are going to go way up quality is going to go way down and options are going to go to zero point none

Old 06-29-2019, 07:34 AM

1,031 posts, read 638,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I consider myself to be a realistic Libertarian. I just would prefer as much freedom as can be reasonably obtained. In general, I'm not in favor of corporations taking over most functions but there are some areas where they are more efficient and it makes sense....we should be smart about it.
Okay give me a list of critical government services that a corporation with a profit motive can do
"better"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies