U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 06:15 AM

11,635 posts, read 3,985,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Sorry, I don't do hugs!

All well and good, but the best method to assure equal treatment is to withhold money and take one's business elsewhere as well as spread the word. Unfortunately, most of these types of situations are hoaxes and have never happened at all. Again, this sort of thing is extremely rare, to begin with.
Obviously you also have that option as well.

I know the gay community has had a few well documented issues with Chick-fil-A, although that was due to religious views and they don't stop gay customers from using their restaurants.

I am not gay however I don't believe in discrimination in terms of serving someone in a business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2019, 07:46 AM

6,895 posts, read 2,527,367 times
Hoax. Never happened.

Don't even need a news update to know it. Chicago is one of the most gay friendly cities in the country, and no business owner in that city would go out of their way to alienate a giant chunk of market share.

That is the common sense reason. The other reason is that all these "they claim" hate crimes are always hoaxes.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:02 AM

45,840 posts, read 34,057,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Hard to believe this happened in Chicago. As you say, given all the bogus accusations, I'll wait for more information.
Why hard to believe?

Homophobia crosses party line as does everything else.

Thus far, the restaurant has not made a public comment. It may or may not have happened, as described.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:08 AM

6,006 posts, read 3,469,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
When did they stop calling them kebab shops and start calling them gyros.

They used to be a great place to get food poisoning, with that grey meat thing turning in the window, indeed nobody could work out what kind of meat it was.

The Turkish and Egyptians also do a lot of gyro, although they tend to use halal meat, indeed the big Gyro Chain is now 'Halal Guys' which started in NYC, others include German Doner Kebab which is about to open branches in the US.
The sickest I have ever been in my life was a horrific case of gastroenteritis I got as a teenager after eating a gyro with my mum and sister at our local mall. Mom and sis were hospitalized, and I missed my own graduation while recovering. Horrible memories.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.R.I.O.N View Post
Even if that is what TRULY happened I am all for business owners having the right to serve and not serve WHOEVER they so choose....doesn't matter if its left or right they should have that right.
Reportedly, it was a worker, not the owner who made the alleged remarks.

Thus far, neither the owner or any workers have commented.

Students organized a boycott. They have many choices for lunch in the area.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
..huh? Are you suggesting the gyro guy was radial right? Did he claim religion? Orthodox im guessing,race? greece?
Reportedly, it was a worker, not the owner, who made the alleged remarks.

The owner and other workers have declined to comment.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:17 AM

11,635 posts, read 3,985,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
The sickest I have ever been in my life was a horrific case of gastroenteritis I got as a teenager after eating a gyro with my mum and sister at our local mall. Mom and sis were hospitalized, and I missed my own graduation while recovering. Horrible memories.

We have all been there, at the time a kebab seemed like a good idea.

A lot of kebab/gyro places in the UK are near pubs and rely on drunken trade, as anyone sober is not going to want a kebab.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Your just saying the same thing over and over. Really not progressing here.

They were two gay dudes hugging and the owner said it would be fine if they were straight but not gay. Should i not be socially able to hug my Husband in public? Why do you think it's okay for people to try to control who others are? We are progressing from a owner not wanting to make a cake to a owner humiliating a person. I think that's a shame and it says alot about you that you can't see that.
Again, it was a worker, not the owner.

It is unknown if the owner was present or overheard the alleged remarks.

No shortage of employees in restaurants have refused to serve patrons based on their own ideologies. Police officers come to mind. The owner or store manager or franchise usually take swift action: employee is either counseled or terminated and an apology is issued. And the outrage passes.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:21 AM

4,266 posts, read 4,080,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Reportedly, it was a worker, not the owner who made the alleged remarks.

Thus far, neither the owner or any workers have commented.

Students organized a boycott. They have many choices for lunch in the area.
These were high school students and neither pulled out a phone to record the incident? I'm also assuming that there were no other people of a similar age that forgot to record this incident as well. Or maybe this working quietly asked them to leave and they went without protest.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I lived near there for years.

First off, 2 miles east of there is "boys town" which is Chicagos gay area.

The chances they were kicked out for "hugging" raise my skepticism unless it was hugging with something other than arms.

Clearly Jussie has raised everyones level of suspicion over such claims.

Given that the place probably has a steady stream of gays and lesbians flowing through there, I have to think that they got a little too "huggy", but who knows, Chicago has a lot of immigrants with anti-gay views. (It's not just white guys with pickups unless the person is into ignorant stereotypes. )
Homophobia crosses all political ideologies and ethnicities.

None of us were there and don’t know what, if anything, happened.

This place is more of a transient construction worker stop than the type of place that would attract residents of Boys Town. It also has proximity to the selective school with a student population of around 4500.

No shortage of branded and unbranded fast food joints in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies