Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2019, 04:59 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,953,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Nope. If heartbeat was the definition of life, pulling the plug on brain dead people would be murder.
Already covered that. I'm referring to natural heartbeat, the one that is present at 6 weeks gestation. I'm not referring to the artificial heartbeat of a brain dead person, but that should be obvious given the topic for discussion.

People are dead when the heart stops. They are alive when it is beating.

Old 05-19-2019, 05:03 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Already covered that. I'm referring to natural heartbeat, the one that is present at 6 weeks gestation. I'm not referring to the artificial heartbeat of a brain dead person, but that should be obvious given the topic for discussion.

And the heart beat of a 6 week fetus would stop if removed from the life support of the womans body.

Old 05-19-2019, 05:12 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,009,739 times
'pro-abortion' is just typical 'framing.' Both sides do this a lot.
Politically-concocted terms intended to skew the debate. Let's throw them in the word trash can.

It's no different than 'climate denier,' a term coming from the left side of the aisle in an attempt to shame.

Old 05-19-2019, 05:14 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
Quote:
Malnutrition messes with more than reproduction, but abortion law should not be created around malnourished women's problems.

What's with the name calling! You sound like a mysogenist arguing that women are too incompetent to act on an unwanted pregnancy with 6 weeks.

It is a fact that human life is defined by a heart beat. Without a heart beat, people are dead. It is a fact that a fetal heartbeat can be detected at 6 weeks. That is nothing new.

Instead of recognizing that abortion prior to the existence of a heartbeat will ease the conscience after abortion, I hear so many excuses for why women are incapable of knowing that they are pregnant, and incapable of making a decision or acting on it once they are aware of pregnancy. Why so many excuses?

Not since the - what, 70s? - has heartbeat been the standard. Brain activity is the standard for a person dying. Now, without cardiac activity, the brain will be unsupported, and it will die, so it makes sense to check for a heartbeat.

As to the 6 week embryo - that's not a heartbeat, because it doesn't have a heart yet. It's an electrical signal from a few cells that will eventually become a heart. It has no brain, either, for quite a while. At 6 weeks, it's a "mass of fetal cells" that's just a few mm long.

Quote:
[SIZE=2]Fetal Pole[/SIZE][SIZE=2]
A mass of fetal cells, separate from the yolk sac, first becomes apparent on transvaginal ultrasound just after the 6th week of gestation. This mass of cells is known as the fetal pole. It is the fetus in its somite stage. Usually you can identify rhythmic fetal cardiac movement within the fetal pole, although it may need to grow several mm before this is apparent.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]The fetal pole grows at a rate of about 1 mm a day, starting at the 6th week of gestational age. Thus, a simple way to "date" an early pregnancy is to add the length of the fetus (in mm) to 6 weeks. Using this method, a fetal pole measuring 5 mm would have a gestational age of 6 weeks and 5 days.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]

[/SIZE]

Source

Old 05-19-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I've been pregnant twice, and didn't know until after 6 weeks in both cases and both pregnancies were planned. It's not like there is an indicator light that goes off when an ovum implants.

You can't get a test until after a missed period. OBs count pregnancy from the first day of your last period which can be 4 weeks or more before a missed period.

What, you're missing your indicator light? I'd talk to the manufacturer.

But seriously, I have PCOS, and I could go 6-9 months without a period. I would not have had the slightest idea I was pregnant during those interludes. Most of the time, I was anovulatory, and had periods every 30-40 days. So a 6 week limit would have been impossible for me.

Old 05-19-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Yep. I bled at intervals consistent with my cycle during the entire first trimester with one of my kids. How the heck I would know I was pregnant? Surprised the hell out of me when I missed my first period and found out I was already at the start of the second trimester.

And it’s not like I’m a unicorn in this. 25-28% of women have bleeding in early pregnancy. Just another thing that the men writing these bills don’t comprehend.

Yup, friend of mine bled on time every month til her 5th month. She found out she was pregnant when she was in a car accident and they found the fetus on x-ray. Fortunately, they were both okay. Her son was a cutie, too.

Old 05-19-2019, 05:31 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,953,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
And the heart beat of a 6 week fetus would stop if removed from the life support of the womans body.
This is true, and that's why it is so controversial to have abortions after 6 - 8 weeks gestation. The heart beat - the natural one - would continue beating but for the decision of a woman to terminate that heart beat. Women can completely avoid this situation by paying a little more attention to whether they are pregnant, and to be decisive when they are pregnant.

Terminating a pregnancy prior to a heartbeat reduces the emotional impact related to the termination because the abortion is then nothing more than the removal of a few cells that do not yet constitute life.

Old 05-19-2019, 05:38 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
Quote:

The heartbeat of a brain dead person IS a natural heartbeat. They may be on a ventilator, but that’s for breathing and has nothing to do with heart beat. Did you take any science classes?

Old 05-19-2019, 05:42 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,121,604 times
Quote:
This is true, and that's why it is so controversial to have abortions after 6 - 8 weeks gestation. The heart beat - the natural one - would continue beating but for the decision of a woman to terminate that heart beat. Women can completely avoid this situation by paying a little more attention to whether they are pregnant, and to be decisive when they are pregnant.

Terminating a pregnancy prior to a heartbeat reduces the emotional impact related to the termination because the abortion is then nothing more than the removal of a few cells that do not yet constitute life.
Your not helping your cause at all, actually hurting it. You are showing contempt towards women and showing you think their bodies can be legislated and they don't know any better. Should vasectomies be mandatory?

Old 05-19-2019, 05:50 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
No. It's not obvious. Christina Aquilera is a has been pop star. She's your source for information?

Who are all these people congratulating men for sleeping around. Do they get awards? Is there an annual convention and a ceremony? You need to open your eyes to REALITY. What is going on around you, no what you are being told to believe is true.

Again: Don't know ANYONE who thinks sleeping around is something to be proud of. If these are the types of people you surround yourself with, get different friends.

Prolifer stance:
Men should wear condoms.
Men should have sex with women who have the same values that they have.
Do either of those? There is no problem.

I don't think any of the opinions that you post are based in reality. There's a lot of misinformation, propaganda, and stereotyping though.
Every logical person here knows this is EXTREMELY rich coming from you. And also total BS.

You aren't worth a debate.

Quote:
Malnutrition messes with more than reproduction, but abortion law should not be created around malnourished women's problems.

What's with the name calling! You sound like a mysogenist arguing that women are too incompetent to act on an unwanted pregnancy with 6 weeks.

It is a fact that human life is defined by a heart beat. Without a heart beat, people are dead. It is a fact that a fetal heartbeat can be detected at 6 weeks. That is nothing new.

Instead of recognizing that abortion prior to the existence of a heartbeat will ease the conscience after abortion, I hear so many excuses for why women are incapable of knowing that they are pregnant, and incapable of making a decision or acting on it once they are aware of pregnancy. Why so many excuses?
I've seen this line of argument before, probably from you but possibly from others here. Acting like it's insulting to women to suggest that many will not know they are pregnant until after 6 weeks, as if we all think women are stupid and incompetent. It's honestly an amazing way to twist the abortion argument, so props for creativity. But that's all you get props for, because otherwise it's total crap.

Quote:
It is a fact that women do have abortions at 6 weeks gestation. Therefore it is a fact that women can and do know when they are pregnant, and how to manage the pregnancy, in less than 6 weeks. Indeed, not all women are like this, but many are.

Those who object the loudest are those who don't want to pay attention to whether they are pregnant, and they want as much time as suits them to arrange to terminate.

For decades it has been known that a heartbeat can be detected at 6 weeks gestation. The law is finally catching up with how life is defined, and what it means to terminate a life.
Every woman's body is different and works differently. There is no one size fits all.

You have proven that you know little about how our bodies work and that you also don't care to learn, so how about it's time you - a man - keep your mouth shut and leave the conversation to those who know what they're talking about?

I know you won't, but you're making yourself look worse by the post, so maybe rethink it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies