U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-18-2019, 07:49 PM
 
2,664 posts, read 966,960 times
Reputation: 1702

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That’s not my question.

What significance is Australia’s election results to the average American? How am I affected?
Why does everything in the P&OC section need to be about the US? Is there any rule that states that this forum is exclusively to discuss matters involving the US? Ideally, it should involve global political topics.

it’s true that over 90% of posters on C-D are American, so America related topics will abound, but it doesn’t negate my previous point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-18-2019, 08:04 PM
 
49,661 posts, read 26,359,640 times
Reputation: 15463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Why does everything in the P&OC section need to be about the US? Is there any rule that states that this forum is exclusively to discuss matters involving the US? Ideally, it should involve global political topics.

it’s true that over 90% of posters on C-D are American, so America related topics will abound, but it doesn’t negate my previous point.
If right wing Americans are jumping for joy about an election on the other side of the world, why in the hell shouldn’t I ask why they’re so happy and what this portends for our domestic politics? Especially when they tell me that I’m gonna feel the effects of that election upon my bemusement at their joy.

I’m a lefty, and if I were jumping around for joy about the left winning an election in Australia, you’d most certainly wonder what the hell I'm so giddy about. Especially if I told you that you’re gonna be affected by that victory.

Don’t sweat me for asking questions. If that poster knows what he’s talking about, he should be inviting my questions...not deflecting them or giving me effete answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2019, 08:14 PM
 
10,362 posts, read 3,903,711 times
Reputation: 5095
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
If right wing Americans are jumping for joy about an election on the other side of the world, why in the hell shouldn’t I ask why they’re so happy and what this portends for our domestic politics? Especially when they tell me that I’m gonna feel the effects of that election upon my bemusement at their joy.

I’m a lefty, and if I were jumping around for joy about the left winning an election in Australia, you’d most certainly wonder what the hell I'm so giddy about. Especially if I told you that you’re gonna be affected by that victory.

Don’t sweat me for asking questions. If that poster knows what he’s talking about, he should be inviting my questions...not deflecting them or giving me effete answers.
LOL. It is not me who is the one deflecting and giving effete answers here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2019, 08:42 PM
 
Location: too far from the sea
19,538 posts, read 18,609,271 times
Reputation: 33151
The winners are centrists. "Conservative" in most other countries means center, not what it means here. Here it means extreme right wing radicals who often want to impose their religion on others. I don't think their new leadership will be taking away a woman's right to end her pregnancy.

As a Dem, I'd be fine with a centrist party. A little bit left of center, a little bit right of center. Nothing extreme though.
__________________
my posts as moderator will be in red. Moderator: Health&Wellness~Genealogy. The Rules--read here>>> TOS. If someone attacks you, do not reply. Hit REPORT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2019, 08:55 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, La. USA
5,904 posts, read 2,804,718 times
Reputation: 2163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Australia has just completed their national general elections. The ruling center right coalition was predicted to lose by virtually EVERYBODY in the mass media and in the polls. But yet again, the left dominated media hacks and the pollsters got it wrong.

This result is reminiscent of so many elections and campaigns that we have seen around the world in recent years, not least of which was President Trump's victory over Hillary Clinton and the Democrat left in the 2016 elections here in the US. Likewise the Australian people decided to defy the propaganda narratives of their media "Betters" and vote center right PM Scott Morrison back into office, and also to send packing the prematurely celebrating Australian Labor Party and their media supporters.

Next week the EU will hold the EU Parliamentary elections across Europe. Do not be surprised to see similar results in those elections.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison believes in man-made global warming, and he is leading Australia to meet IPCC reduction goals. Scott Morison also dedicated an extra $2 billion dollars to combat global warming.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-...hange/10845234
https://theconversation.com/morrison...te-fund-112387

And Australia has a government controlled healthcare system, and Scott Morrison has announced an extra $1.25 billion in healthcare spending (to give free healthcare to the poor.)
https://www.bupa.com.au/healthcare-g...lthcare-system
https://theconversation.com/morrison...th-care-108607

Scott Morrison is against raising the min wage. But the min wage in Australia is already $12.99 USD.
https://dingoos.com/en/salario-minimo-en-australia/
https://www.google.com/search?q=18.9...hrome&ie=UTF-8


American republicans talk about conservatives in other countries winning elections. But these conservatives in other countries believe in man made global warming, they are combating global warming, they give everyone government healthcare, and they support $12.99 min wages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2019, 09:01 PM
 
49,661 posts, read 26,359,640 times
Reputation: 15463
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Prime Minister Scott Morrison believes in man-made global warming, and he is leading Australia to meet IPCC reduction goals. Scott Morison also dedicated an extra $2 billion dollars to combat global warming.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-...hange/10845234
https://theconversation.com/morrison...te-fund-112387

And Australia has a government controlled healthcare system, and Scott Morrison has announced an extra $1.25 billion in healthcare spending (to give free healthcare to the poor.)
https://www.bupa.com.au/healthcare-g...lthcare-system
https://theconversation.com/morrison...th-care-108607

Scott Morrison is against raising the min wage. But the min wage in Australia is already $12.99 USD.
https://dingoos.com/en/salario-minimo-en-australia/
https://www.google.com/search?q=18.9...hrome&ie=UTF-8


American republicans talk about conservatives in other countries winning elections. But these conservatives in other countries believe in man made global warming, they are combating global warming, they give everyone government healthcare, and they support $12.99 min wages.
Yeah, well we’re supposed to overlook those facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2019, 09:04 PM
 
Location: Various
1,032 posts, read 366,159 times
Reputation: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Prime Minister Scott Morrison believes in man-made global warming, and he is leading Australia to meet IPCC reduction goals. Scott Morison also dedicated an extra $2 billion dollars to combat global warming.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-...hange/10845234
https://theconversation.com/morrison...te-fund-112387

And Australia has a government controlled healthcare system, and Scott Morrison has announced an extra $1.25 billion in healthcare spending (to give free healthcare to the poor.)
https://www.bupa.com.au/healthcare-g...lthcare-system
https://theconversation.com/morrison...th-care-108607

Scott Morrison is against raising the min wage. But the min wage in Australia is already $12.99 USD.
https://dingoos.com/en/salario-minimo-en-australia/
https://www.google.com/search?q=18.9...hrome&ie=UTF-8


American republicans talk about conservatives in other countries winning elections. But these conservatives in other countries believe in man made global warming, they are combating global warming, they give everyone government healthcare, and they support $12.99 min wages.
They Conservatives took a pragmatic view on climate change and doing "our bit". The losing Labor party and the Greens were running with the usual "catastrophic" claims and wanted us to pay a lot more so the temps wouldn't rise. They called it the Climate Change election. This was strongly repudiated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2019, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Various
1,032 posts, read 366,159 times
Reputation: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
No. He lost his senate seat.

Changes were made to the system to ensure people like him who received a tiny proportion of votes can no longer be elected to the Senate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2019, 09:05 PM
 
4,618 posts, read 1,300,844 times
Reputation: 2891
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
They draw parallels to actual Nazis. Anyone who doesn't toe their line gets labeled a goose stepping moron. I'm REALLY sick of hearing "racist", "racism" "right wing extremism" and all the other garbage the left throws around being used to describe anyone who doesn't agree with them.


They got their noses rubbed in it in 2016 and I sincerely hope it happens again in 2020. Just like here in 2016 the Aussies showed just how much faith to take in leftist controlled polls.
We're all tired of it and that is why we've chosen to ignore them and vote our silent ways. They are not interested in any discussion or debate, but forcing their views on everyone else. We will keep quiet, turn out to vote and surprise them again in 2020.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2019, 09:08 PM
 
Location: Various
1,032 posts, read 366,159 times
Reputation: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Australia has just completed their national general elections. The ruling center right coalition was predicted to lose by virtually EVERYBODY in the mass media and in the polls. But yet again, the left dominated media hacks and the pollsters got it wrong.

This result is reminiscent of so many elections and campaigns that we have seen around the world in recent years, not least of which was President Trump's victory over Hillary Clinton and the Democrat left in the 2016 elections here in the US. Likewise the Australian people decided to defy the propaganda narratives of their media "Betters" and vote center right PM Scott Morrison back into office, and also to send packing the prematurely celebrating Australian Labor Party and their media supporters.
Bill Shorten, the two time losing candidate has stood down from the leadership after losing the supposedly unloseable election. He was an unpopular figure having long been behind in the polls for preferred Prime Minister, despite this his Party was still strongly expected to win.

Social media is having fun with him and he is being tagged as "Billery" due to the obvious comparison to Mrs Clinton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top