Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 11:52 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,695,422 times

Advertisements

To quote the words of an infamous demagogue: "You knew I was a snake when you picked me up!"

This is what happens when people settle for any type of Democratic candidate without properly vetting them. You get people who will be complicit in some of the Republican's extremist agendas.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/lou...at-legislation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 11:56 AM

8,060 posts, read 3,941,959 times
The city of Austin is going to save tons of money on travel expenses!

Old 05-18-2019, 01:47 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,513,185 times
One thing that is interesting about all of these abortion laws being passed by these states is how different they are from each other. This one establishes restrictions when a heartbeat is detected - at about 6 weeks.

If the Supreme Court takes this issue up, expect them to take up a number of these bills and address them all at the same time.

Old 05-18-2019, 01:48 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,934,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
One thing that is interesting about all of these abortion laws being passed by these states is how different they are from each other. This one establishes restrictions when a heartbeat is detected - at about 6 weeks.

If the Supreme Court takes this issue up, expect them to take up a number of these bills and address them all at the same time.
And isn't that the point?

It's no coincidence that multiple states have bills on the table RIGHT NOW regarding abortion.

Old 05-18-2019, 01:50 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,543 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
To quote the words of an infamous demagogue: "You knew I was a snake when you picked me up!"

This is what happens when people settle for any type of Democratic candidate without properly vetting them. You get people who will be complicit in some of the Republican's extremist agendas.

But arent you a Bernie Supporter ?

Old 05-18-2019, 01:51 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,513,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
And isn't that the point?

It's no coincidence that multiple states have bills on the table RIGHT NOW regarding abortion.
It certainly appears to be a coordinated effort to me. And very brilliantly so. The variations in scope and approach in these laws is going to put enormous pressure on the now antiquated Roe v Wade legal framework from the early 1970's.

It is clearly time for a major upgrade from the SCOTUS on this subject. And with this carefully coordinated frontal assault on Roe, we might just get it.

Old 05-18-2019, 01:58 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
John Bel Edwards is up for re-election in one of the most conservative states in the union and he wants to get re-elected.

He’s done great on the Medicare front though. Louisiana is the only southern state to have expanded Medicare under Obamacare and he did that the first day he was in office.

Also he has reformed the prison system in Louisiana. It no longer has the highest incarceration rates in the country.

You’re not going to get re-elected as an anti abortionist in Louisiana. You could view him as an independent governor. He doesn’t really tote either party line.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:59 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Quote:

The thing you may not realize is that here in Louisiana, the electorate is so pro-life that nobody of any party that supports abortion has a chance of being elected.

So if you're a Louisiana liberal, if you vote for someone like Edwards you at least get someone who supports Obamacare, higher taxes, BLM, etc. All of which are reasons I actually did not vote for him and want to put a Republican in office. The only reason he won is because his Republican opponent had a scandal involving call girls which was proven with evidence (unlike the allegations against Trump and Kavanaugh) and many Christian voters stayed home, while there was a massive turnout in the ghetto and among black voters to support Obama.

Old 05-18-2019, 07:02 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
And this is really going to affect any kind of liberal boycott. Hollywerid simply CANNOT afford to boycott both Georgia and Louisiana, another major production center. They must remember why they came to the South for tax breaks to begin with.

Let Hollywood go back to filming everything in overtaxed, overpriced, over-unionized California. It was California's business hostile environment and high taxes that forced even liberal Hollywood to go elsewhere!!!!! To the point where even when a movie is SET in California they film in Georgia to pass it off as California! (Den of Thieves does a particularly poor job of passing off suburban Atlanta as Los Angeles.)

Old 05-18-2019, 07:09 PM

30,350 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:

I personally know the Gov. and his family and they are devout Catholics, which much of Louisiiana is as well....this will ensure his re-election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies