U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 09:12 AM

12,022 posts, read 6,625,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post

There is a trade-off with Poland's effort to block all immigrants from outside the EU. It sounds like they don't want anyone who does not share their ethnic, religious or cultural standards. They can scare off outside investment or multi-national business ventures in Poland. What company from Asia, Middle East of even the US would want to set up a regional operations center or technical center in Poland. What if employees they brought in from the home country or other countries to manage or oversee key positions were treated like second or third tier people while living in Poland? It could scare off people with scarce or needed talents from wanting to move to Poland from other countries. That reduces Poland's ability to participate in the global economy, and they will lose more of their own residents, many with valuable skills, to other countries. It is a trade-off between the domestic culture and the global economy, and it is still not clear how this will play out in the next decade or two.
Well that's kind of sad. Got to sell your culture and your soul for money. So there is a globalist agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 09:19 AM

9,496 posts, read 6,667,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

Poland does not have the problems, of the EU
Low crime and no terrorism.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:31 PM

3,280 posts, read 1,303,254 times
Good for Poland!

Old 05-22-2019, 05:19 PM

96 posts, read 25,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Poland probably watched the terror attacks in Germany, Belgium, and the UK and said "no thank you".
And applied cause and effect logic instead of f-e-e-l-i-n-g-s.

Old 05-22-2019, 05:20 PM

12,039 posts, read 6,878,278 times
don't care....don't live in Poland....thank god. my relatives who did live there were gassed for being jews in WWII except one woman....a grandmother.

One of my favorite people and longtime friends is a non-jew who left Poland. he was a leader of the solidarity movement, was jailed for his leadership in solidarity, immigrated after his release from prison, and is now a multi-millionaire in America. when I first met him he was as poor as a church mouse. he was the painter who painted the exterior of my house. One of his daughters went to yale and the other Harvard.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 05-22-2019 at 06:10 PM..

Old 05-22-2019, 05:22 PM

2,680 posts, read 964,088 times
And the Swedes are laughing because they are NOT Poland

Old 05-22-2019, 05:44 PM

14,625 posts, read 3,878,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
don't care....don't live in Poland....thank god. my relatives who did live there were gassed for being jews in WWII except one woman....a grandmother.

One of my favorite people and long term friends is a non-jew who left Poland. he was a leader of the solidarity movement, was his leadership in solidarity, immigrated after his release from prison, and is now a multi-millionaire in America. when I first met him he was as poor as a church mouse! One of his daughters went to yale and the other Harvard.
Polish Pride - after WWII, would have been hard to garner.

Most people are probably not familiar with the history of the area - Poland has been owned, carved, beaten, settled and otherwise messed with by Prussia (Germany) and Russia, making it hardly ever a nation on it's own (at least in modern times). Major areas of German were/are in Poland.

The list of famous "Germans" from Silesia is quite long....

So who are the Poles? According to the Germans they were the peasants who lived in an uncivilized manner....along with Jews (who, of course, in the German view were sub-human).

According to the Russians, it's a buttress against Germany and Liberal Western Europe AND a breadbasket and resource extraction area. In most recent history Poland was part of the USSR.

As it stands now, what is left of Poland appears to be leaning back toward its' west (Russia and nearby Euro States). If that's what they want, then more power to them.

They have done very well for themselves since the fall of communism. It would be a shame to see them head back away from liberalism and toward authoritarianism and nationalism. You'd think those lessons had been learned.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:45 PM

9,873 posts, read 6,569,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
It seems ironic that Poland is blocking most non-EU immigration, since so many from Poland have emigrated to other countries in the EU looking for better jobs or opportunities. Go to any construction site here in Leipzig (Germany) and you will find laborers from many countries to the east, especially Poland. Same story for cities all around western & northern Europe, especially UK. Poland in not an economic powerhouse and salaries for similar jobs are lower there than here in the eastern part of Germany (which are 10-20 percent less than in the western part of Germany). On the other hand, Poland looks like it is making some economic progress. It seems like things are getting better, not worse economically. But that is just what I see as a visitor, not as someone who has lived there.
When I asked a former colleague of mine, who is Polish, why so many Poles go to work in the UK and Ireland, she said..."We're the Mexicans of Europe. We sell our labor to others."

Old 05-22-2019, 08:01 PM

3,649 posts, read 2,456,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
If that truly happened then why are there 2 million Poles and growing in England. With 900,000 of those Poles born in Poland and moving there in the last 17 years? If the Poles didn't want to be like Sweden or the U.K,why did so many of them immigrate to the multicultural hellhole to the point that the biggest ethnicity outside of English/Scottish/Irish/Welsh in the whole U.K. is Poles. If the terror attack scared them so much why do poles live in the most multicultural parts of London, in parts of London that are 27% Muslim, you'll find lots of Polish people as well like Ponders End/Enfield area.
And many Brits who are for Brexit don't want any part of the Poles being in their country.

Odd dichotomy.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:02 PM

3,649 posts, read 2,456,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
When I asked a former colleague of mine, who is Polish, why so many Poles go to work in the UK and Ireland, she said..."We're the Mexicans of Europe. We sell our labor to others."
Now you're going to make the OP rethink this whole thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or