Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 10:45 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Anyone who is pro-life because they are concerned about preserving innocent life cannot, I submit, support abortion even in the case of rape, etc. Not if they are being intellectually honest. After all, although rape is disgraceful (and I fully support the death penalty for rapists), any resulting children are innocent and blameless.
I agree, but the forced-birthers don't see those children that way. They have willfully abandoned them. Which means they are absolutely not pro-life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2019, 10:54 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,995 times
This pro-lifer is for abortion only when it is the following:
1). Rape. It has to be proven it was rape because there is the unlikely chance that a woman will lie about getting pregnant via rape when it was really she knowingly had unprotected sex then got pregnant. In such case, I see that as murder but whether or not they will make a law addressing that provision is anyone's guess.

2). To save the woman's body (like the mom might die if she gives birth) or if the child is so sick while being carried that them being a functional person after delivery is basically a miracle.

4). If the guy she is banging removes the condom during intercourse without telling or asking her. I got a similar point from a tweet from a woman that shared her abortion experience.

5). Concerning incest or near-incest*, I see that more with rape or accidental incest (the couple are unaware they are related until they find out). After all, there are times when consenting adults who know they are banging their biological parent or sibling but might be indifferent about it. Still, an adult woman bangs a guy she knows is her biological brother and gets pregnant then aborts (there was pressure to abort and she had no mental/emotional/physical handicaps when it happened), I am not for abortion during that situation. Abortion from consensual cousin-banging is what/where I am iffy at/on.

*aunt, uncle, step-relative, or in-laws.

Last edited by Eumaois; 05-19-2019 at 11:14 AM..

Old 05-19-2019, 11:21 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I agree, but the forced-birthers don't see those children that way. They have willfully abandoned them. Which means they are absolutely not pro-life.
Abandoned them? Yes, more can be done for those who are already here, but that to me (not that you're saying such necessarily) isn't a valid reason to support snuffing out the lives of the unborn. Living in poverty or hardship doesn't deprive you of a life of meaning. Its not just the wealthy or well to do who deserve to live. That standard is far more pro life than the alternative, which supports snuffing you out and not even giving you a chance.

Old 05-19-2019, 11:32 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Abandoned them? Yes, more can be done for those who are already here, but that to me (not that you're saying such necessarily) isn't a valid reason to support snuffing out the lives of the unborn. Living in poverty or hardship doesn't devoid you of a life of meaning. Its not just the wealthy or well to do who deserve to live. That standard is far more pro life than the alternative.
I'm talking about pro-forced-birthers abandoning those conceived through rape by being perfectly fine allowing exceptions so they can be aborted. Is that "a valid reason to support snuffing out their lives" if you claim to be pro-life?

If they truly care about the children, as they loudly proclaim, why are they so willing to allow these babies to be aborted? They always make exceptions for rape, as if those babies are less worthy of life than others. How is that even remotely "pro-life"?

Old 05-19-2019, 01:41 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,977,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
It is strange. I can understand incest (due to the high probability of abnormalities), but with rape? Thats a normal fetus between 2 people that are NOT related, plus there is a HUGE demand to adopt newborns.

I dont understand why they do not promote adoption in the case of rape?

Something else to keep in mind, even though it was rape, that fetus is still HALF hers ( I dont think many people take this into account).
Women can still become ill, have disabilities, and die with childbirth. Their lives are restricted for 9 months, in what they can eat, do, etc. It can affect their careers (taking time off work). It takes a financial toll (maternity clothes, medical visits, special vitamins, etc.). A woman should risk all of this for something she doesn't want, let alone something the result of something traumatic that happened to her?

A woman should spend the better part of a year knowing that her body and life are affected by a thing growing inside her that was a product of something horrible, that contains the genetic material of someone horrible? A woman should risk that the rapist might show up and want the kid?

What if the baby isn't white? Isn't healthy? Who adopts it then?

Old 05-19-2019, 03:04 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Women can still become ill, have disabilities, and die with childbirth. Their lives are restricted for 9 months, in what they can eat, do, etc. It can affect their careers (taking time off work). It takes a financial toll (maternity clothes, medical visits, special vitamins, etc.). A woman should risk all of this for something she doesn't want, let alone something the result of something traumatic that happened to her?

A woman should spend the better part of a year knowing that her body and life are affected by a thing growing inside her that was a product of something horrible, that contains the genetic material of someone horrible? A woman should risk that the rapist might show up and want the kid?

What if the baby isn't white? Isn't healthy? Who adopts it then?
And some states allow the rapist to have visitation.

Old 05-19-2019, 03:12 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,094,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
And some states allow the rapist to have visitation.
Thankfully the loopholes that made this possible have been closed.

There is currently no state with a law on its books expressly permitting this.

Old 05-19-2019, 03:15 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
There should be no exceptions.

Old 05-19-2019, 03:21 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,094,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
There should be no exceptions.
Totally unrealistic.

At least you're consistent.

Old 05-19-2019, 03:53 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Thankfully the loopholes that made this possible have been closed.

There is currently no state with a law on its books expressly permitting this.
Alabama has no law preventing this.

"Alabama is one of seven states that doesn't have any kind of law on the books that protects a rape victim from having to negotiate child custody and adoption issues with her attacker."
https://www.al.com/news/2018/01/alab...ild_visit.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies