Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 05:57 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,564,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
And, what's wrong with that?

Do you think we have unlimited potable water and unlimited buildable land? Look at India. They have over 1 billion people and Bangalore doesn't have enough potable water. Is that the future you want to see for the US?
We're 175th in the world in population density; Kyrgystan is 176th. We are in no danger of running out of buildable land. India has 159 people per square mile. We have 13. We're closer to being Greenland than India in buildable land.

Once again, read Johnathan V Last's book What to Expect When No One's Expecting. The dangers of having negative population growth far exceed the dangers of having the types of modest population growth that the United States experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2019, 06:41 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
So what are you proposing, besides banning abortion? Banning Birth Control and Sterilizations so Americans have more (unwanted) children? Do you want to fund Government run Orphanages for all these people who do not want to raise their unwanted children?
I'm opposed to abortion except under extreme circumstances. I have no issue with birth control and in fact encourage it for those who don't want and undesired pregnancy. However, we need to take measures to discourage irresponsibility on the part of the humans who do keep creating babies they don't want and don't support knowing full well that the taxpayer will take care of them after birth.

Old 05-26-2019, 06:49 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I'm opposed to abortion except under extreme circumstances. I have no issue with birth control and in fact encourage it for those who don't want and undesired pregnancy. However, we need to take measures to discourage irresponsibility on the part of the humans who do keep creating babies they don't want and don't support knowing full well that the taxpayer will take care of them after birth.
I.E. letting said babies starve to death, sounds great 😑

Old 05-26-2019, 07:04 PM

22,449 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
We're 175th in the world in population density; Kyrgystan is 176th. We are in no danger of running out of buildable land. India has 159 people per square mile. We have 13. We're closer to being Greenland than India in buildable land.

Once again, read Johnathan V Last's book What to Expect When No One's Expecting. The dangers of having negative population growth far exceed the dangers of having the types of modest population growth that the United States experiences.
Seriously?

You must be looking at all those wide open desert spaces when you claim we won't run out of buildable land. If so, that land isn't buildable. Those people you see there have to have their water trucked in. I'm sure that you are factoring all that desert land when you say we have 13 people per square mile.

It doesn't bother you to watch green space disappear and animals become displaced?

Do you seriously think we have unlimited potable water? Good grief! Did you know (I saw this on CBS evening news) Phoenix and Tucson rely on underground aquifers for their water and no one knows how much is in them. FL is having sinkhole problems---many of which are traced to all the digging looking for underground aquifers for the ever growing population.

Get real!

Old 05-26-2019, 09:14 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:

One hundred and twenty five million additional people in just 50 years. Yeah, modest population growth.

Old 05-26-2019, 10:25 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Quote:

I read a couple of reviews on your suggested reading ... ty
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
One hundred and twenty five million additional people in just 50 years. Yeah, modest population growth.
Made me look:

Demographic Turning Points for the United States: Population Projections for 2020 to 2060

Summary ...
"By 2030, immigration is projected to become the primary driver of population growth: more people are projected to be added to the population through net international migration than from natural increase. The projected shift to net international immigration as the primary driver of population growth is the result of falling fertility rates and the rising number of deaths in an aging population, not because of a projected increase in international migration. The rapid aging of the population between 2020 and 2040 will have a substantial demographic impact on the country.

Despite slowing growth, the U.S. population is still projected to grow. This continued growth sets the United States apart from some of the other developed countries whose populations are expected to barely increase or contract over the next few decades." (my emphasis)

Change the driver, change the growth? Keep Trump in the WH, it could happen.

Old 05-27-2019, 08:32 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,564,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Seriously?

You must be looking at all those wide open desert spaces when you claim we won't run out of buildable land. If so, that land isn't buildable. Those people you see there have to have their water trucked in. I'm sure that you are factoring all that desert land when you say we have 13 people per square mile.

It doesn't bother you to watch green space disappear and animals become displaced?

Do you seriously think we have unlimited potable water? Good grief! Did you know (I saw this on CBS evening news) Phoenix and Tucson rely on underground aquifers for their water and no one knows how much is in them. FL is having sinkhole problems---many of which are traced to all the digging looking for underground aquifers for the ever growing population.

Get real!
I grew up in Pennsylvania - - there are counties that have more deer than people in them. Lots of area, lots of water. And Pennsylvania is absolutely teeming with people in comparison to other states. Where I live now, San Diego, it has more people in it than ten states have. You're telling me there isn't room for people or water in North and South Dakota, Montana, Vermont, Maine, Wyoming, etc?

There are ways to be smart about green space and flora and fauna and still maintain our current population (not expand, maintain).

Old 05-27-2019, 09:02 AM

18,560 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I.E. letting said babies starve to death, sounds great 😑
It's a fact of life.

Old 05-27-2019, 09:03 AM

18,560 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
I grew up in Pennsylvania - - there are counties that have more deer than people in them. Lots of area, lots of water. And Pennsylvania is absolutely teeming with people in comparison to other states. Where I live now, San Diego, it has more people in it than ten states have. You're telling me there isn't room for people or water in North and South Dakota, Montana, Vermont, Maine, Wyoming, etc?

There are ways to be smart about green space and flora and fauna and still maintain our current population (not expand, maintain).
There's room, but there's no need or desire. If we wanted or needed more people, we would make them. But we don't.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:08 AM

22,449 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Quote:

And where will people find work in rural areas? Did you think about that? You have this naive vision of packing rural areas will millions of people who somehow will manage to make a living. Have you forgotten that we also need lots of farmland to feed people? And you want to take that farmland away?

Besides, look at PA. There are lots of mountainous areas where the land is not buildable due to the terrain. Everywhere in the country there are flatlands that have soil that's not conducive to building.

You need to get that image of 13 people per square mile out of your head.

Do you know how Montana got its name? Answer: all the mountains. Just take a drive through that states and you will quickly see that those mountains don't have all that much buildable land.

Some places have very harsh weather in the winter, like the Dakotas. Put millions of people there and you will need to find enough sources of fuel to keep them warm in the winter. You can say the same thing about Wyoming.

And where is all the money going to come from to add to the existing infrastructure? You know---roads, sewers, water treatment plants, electricity, etc.?

You really need to educate yourself on this issue. Just because our current population comes out to 13 people per square mile, doesn't mean we have unlimited buildable land and potable water. Those are 2 issues you willfully ignore.

We don't need to add anymore people to our population. It's long past time to drastically reduce legal immigration and send the illegal aliens packing.

Oh...BTW if PA is so great with all this, according to you, buildable land, then what are you doing in San Diego? Think about that for a minute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies