U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-19-2019, 07:10 PM
 
Location: Pyongjang
5,426 posts, read 2,300,828 times
Reputation: 3643

Advertisements

Dang he went bold! Trump is scared now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-19-2019, 07:11 PM
 
Location: One of the 13 original colonies.
10,136 posts, read 6,461,056 times
Reputation: 7984
Oh my! LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2019, 07:14 PM
 
Location: DFW - Coppell / Las Colinas
31,736 posts, read 36,414,276 times
Reputation: 38089
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
3. I have no doubt Democrats will work on passing a law making this a requirement. But it would be a fruitless effort to try and do so until they control the Senate and White House (if they ever get control of them again).
LOL, Dems created a law after B.Clinton that said any Special Council had to go through the AG so the Info is not released directly to Congress and the Media.

Then in 2019 they hated that law when it applied to Trump.

Dems can barely agree on a Speaker of their own House. They will never get a law like this passed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2019, 07:29 PM
 
14,106 posts, read 6,059,904 times
Reputation: 8774
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
It has been tradition for presidential candidates, or at least President-elects, to release several years of their tax return to not only show they're transparent to the American people and thus gain their trust, but to also prove they have no conflicts of interest in their role as leader of the free world (this really hasn't been a tradition for Congressional representatives). The fact is Trump has broken that (like a lot of other presidential traditions), which understandably has some people upset.

That being said, the obsession over his taxes is ridiculous and they need to get over it. The American people want to see representatives in Congress focus on addressing their needs, not wasting their taxpayer dollars on what's essentially a witch hunt.
It’s a tradition, and most previous candidates were working in government for years. I think we should see their tax returns. I don’t give two _____ what those in the private sector did. If it were illegal it would be leaked. It’s not like the government wasn’t already in the possession of all his filed returns. I just remember when Harry Reid asked for Mitt Romney’s tax returns (after the later admitted to lying on the senate floor that Romney committed tax evasion). When people asked why he wouldn’t release his, here was his response:

https://www.politico.com/story/2012/...returns-079419

LAS VEGAS — Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid again deflected questions Monday about releasing his tax returns, even as he continued to pound the demand for Mitt Romney to make more of his own public.

Instead, Reid pointed to the financial disclosure forms he files as a member of Congress, which provide different information.

“I’m a member of Congress now, I don’t make too much money,” said Reid, whose net worth was estimated at $10 million in 2010. “But it’s all listed every year.”

Reid spokesman Adam Jentleson told POLITICO last week that the majority leader will not release his tax returns, writing: “He’s not running for president. … He has of course released more than 30 years of detailed [personal finance disclosures]. There is exponentially more information available to the public about Sen. Reid’s financial life than there is about Mitt Romney’s.”
I looked it up, and Trump also released personal financial disclosures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2019, 07:31 PM
 
3,199 posts, read 1,095,115 times
Reputation: 2226
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
It’s a tradition, and most previous candidates were working in government for years. I think we should see their tax returns. I don’t give two _____ what those in the private sector did. If it were illegal it would be leaked. It’s not like the government wasn’t already in the possession of all his filed returns. I just remember when Harry Reid asked for Mitt Romney’s tax returns (after the later admitted to lying on the senate floor that Romney committed tax evasion). When people asked why he wouldn’t release his, here was his response:

https://www.politico.com/story/2012/...returns-079419

LAS VEGAS — Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid again deflected questions Monday about releasing his tax returns, even as he continued to pound the demand for Mitt Romney to make more of his own public.

Instead, Reid pointed to the financial disclosure forms he files as a member of Congress, which provide different information.

“I’m a member of Congress now, I don’t make too much money,” said Reid, whose net worth was estimated at $10 million in 2010. “But it’s all listed every year.”

Reid spokesman Adam Jentleson told POLITICO last week that the majority leader will not release his tax returns, writing: “He’s not running for president. … He has of course released more than 30 years of detailed [personal finance disclosures]. There is exponentially more information available to the public about Sen. Reid’s financial life than there is about Mitt Romney’s.”
I looked it up, and Trump also released personal financial disclosures.
Link that it's tradition for congressional representatives to release their tax returns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2019, 07:35 PM
 
14,106 posts, read 6,059,904 times
Reputation: 8774
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
1. I never said it was law, only that it was tradition. Some people place a high value on keeping with tradition.

2. Politifact shows every president since 1976 has released tax returns, including Reagan and Carter.

https://www.politifact.com/wisconsin...-40-years-not/

3. I have no doubt Democrats will work on passing a law making this a requirement. But it would be a fruitless effort to try and do so until they control the Senate and White House (if they ever get control of them again).
So, what other kind of personal information are we going to demand of people running for president? Their complete medical records? Their business records? Their wills? How much is enough?

Remember, the government already knows what’s in his taxes. If there was something bad in there, do you honestly think it wouldn’t have leaked by now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2019, 07:37 PM
 
3,199 posts, read 1,095,115 times
Reputation: 2226
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
So, what other kind of personal information are we going to demand of people running for president? Their complete medical records? Their business records? Their wills? How much is enough?

Remember, the government already knows what’s in his taxes. If there was something bad in there, do you honestly think it wouldn’t have leaked by now?
I'm not demanding anything. I already said the obsession over his taxes is ridiculous and some folks need to get over it.

But that doesn't change the fact that Trump is thumbing his nose at yet another presidential tradition.

EDIT: And it goes both ways. If he has nothing to hide, he would just release them in order to finally shut the Democrats up. That's what happened with Bernie Sanders after they harassed him over releasing his tax returns once he joined the 2020 race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2019, 07:44 PM
 
14,106 posts, read 6,059,904 times
Reputation: 8774
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Link that it's tradition for congressional representatives to release their tax returns?
I never said that. I meant that the other presidential candidates did it because itís a tradition, not a requirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2019, 07:47 PM
 
3,199 posts, read 1,095,115 times
Reputation: 2226
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I never said that. I meant that the other presidential candidates did it because itís a tradition, not a requirement.
Ok, the bolded was my misunderstanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2019, 07:49 PM
 
14,106 posts, read 6,059,904 times
Reputation: 8774
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I'm not demanding anything. I already said the obsession over his taxes is ridiculous and some folks need to get over it.

But that doesn't change the fact that Trump is thumbing his nose at yet another presidential tradition.

EDIT: And it goes both ways. If he has nothing to hide, he would just release them in order to finally shut the Democrats up. That's what happened with Bernie Sanders after they harassed him over releasing his tax returns once he joined the 2020 race.
And thank you for that. I agree we have more important things to worry about. I guess he thought he would take a stand on it like Obama did with his school records.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top