Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we be posturing for war with Iran?
Yes 1 3.33%
No 19 63.33%
Not at this time/need more information 10 33.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 08:41 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,161,497 times

Advertisements

Over the millenia empires have collapsed becuase they overextended themselves devoting increasing resources to distant wars while the situation at home slowly deteriorated. Why should the United States repeat the same mistake?

In today's world natural resources are increasingly limited. The best national defense is to preserve resources and not spend them on a war a half world away. We should only engage in war in self-defense in response to an attack on us. The Pentagon's budget should be cut, some overseas bases closed, and change the Department of Defense so it focuses on defense instead of offense and the projection of power. And then invest the "peace dividend" in needed infrastructure projects here at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2019, 08:42 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
But, but.....Lockheed Martin, Ratheon, BAE Sytems, Northrop Gruman, General Dynamics et-al ….they all need routine feeding!
Defense contracting is definitely where the biggest amount of government waste/abuse takes place.

But that's a discussion for another thread.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:47 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan should have taught us to stay the F out of the middle east. Unless Iran openly attacks us, stay out and away. No provoking either which is what Trump is trying to do.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:56 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Over the millenia empires have collapsed becuase they overextended themselves devoting increasing resources to distant wars while the situation at home slowly deteriorated. Why should the United States repeat the same mistake?

In today's world natural resources are increasingly limited. The best national defense is to preserve resources and not spend them on a war a half world away. We should only engage in war in self-defense in response to an attack on us. The Pentagon's budget should be cut, some overseas bases closed, and change the Department of Defense so it focuses on defense instead of offense and the projection of power. And then invest the "peace dividend" in needed infrastructure projects here at home.

i d agree with you on this, to a point. understand that our supply lines, while long, are rather secure because we have the advantage of the massive air and sea lift capabilities to handle long supply lines, and we have the necessary forces to secure those supply lines, at this point in time. can things change? sure they can, but not without warning, except in time of serious war, like world war two.

and that is one of the reasons we have bases around the world, so our supply lines are a lot shorter than they would be otherwise.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:58 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,120,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Defense contracting is definitely where the biggest amount of government waste/abuse takes place.

But that's a discussion for another thread.
Probably best to not talk about things you have ZERO knowledge about.

Old 05-19-2019, 09:15 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
There has never been a war in my lifetime which goes back quite aways now that was, in my opinion, necessary or justified for our national security.

Old 05-19-2019, 09:16 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Oh, we have like 22 TRILLION dollars in debt of knowledge about it.

I have large yachts and Porsches and Beach Houses galore and many other things that people I know who work with Lockheed Martin purchase....as evidence of it.

That's beside all the known quantities.......

I have 100% knowledge that we are not collecting enough taxes to pay the inflated costs. Simply enough

What does one need to know about it? I know a gallon of ice cream is too much for one person to eat at a sitting. That is not rocket science.

There are literally 100's of examples, but some "little numbers" like 125 Billion are known.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/inves...=.53e3e37b2bf2

"The Pentagon has buried an internal study that exposed $125 billion in administrative waste in its business operations amid fears Congress would use the findings as an excuse to slash the defense budget"

"the plan was killed. The Pentagon imposed secrecy restrictions on the data making up the study, which ensured no one could replicate the findings"

We are not stupid.

Now, can you educate us as to whether you profit off any of this?

Old 05-19-2019, 09:17 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
I see the GOP doing again what they did with Bush/Chaney. Starting a war to get a bad POTUS re-elected. Creating the problem, so he can fix it.

I have family in the guard over there. Trump will just throw him away.
Bush didn't really need Iraq to win. Kerry was a weak candidate plus everyone truly believed Iraq actually had WMDs. They had to at some point with the gas attacks they used during the 90's against insurgents. Bush wasn't THAT bad until he was a lame duck. Chaney on the other hand...

Old 05-19-2019, 09:18 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
There has never been a war in my lifetime which goes back quite aways now that was, in my opinion, necessary or justified for our national security.
Attacking us is a feature as long as your country agrees to buy 100's of billions of new weapons from us to use against other poor people.

This is way past being a joke.

Out of control...and I know IKE would say the same thing

Old 05-19-2019, 09:26 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
I work in the Defense/Aerospace Industry, for your information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies