U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 08:53 AM

Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
25,357 posts, read 14,065,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Absolutely.

If Brutus gets three treats, I should get three too.

what about performance??

you get an annual eval....with that eval (supposing everything is AT LEAST satisfactory) you get promotions or raises, or bonus

so if..if.. the woman's performance is NOT to the level of the males..or vice versa...should both get the same bonus or raise...

or do you no bother to evaluate performance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 09:12 AM

22,915 posts, read 16,291,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
what about performance??

you get an annual eval....with that eval (supposing everything is AT LEAST satisfactory) you get promotions or raises, or bonus

so if..if.. the woman's performance is NOT to the level of the males..or vice versa...should both get the same bonus or raise...

or do you no bother to evaluate performance
What about it?

Why do you keep wanting to cloud the issue with whataboutism?

Still waiting for some proof that women just entering the workforce are insisting on being paid the same as those with twenty years of experience.

The issue isn't performance bonuses or increases or whatever.
The issue is base salary or hourly wage.
That's all.

I don't believe that anyone would dispute that people earn compensation over and above their base at different rates nor that people aren't entitled to same.
But the starting point should be level.
If two people start at the same time, with the same qualifications and the same responsibilities, they should be paid the same rate.

Do you disagree?

Old 05-23-2019, 09:22 AM

9,764 posts, read 3,173,560 times
Quote:
What about it?

Why do you keep wanting to cloud the issue with whataboutism?

Still waiting for some proof that women just entering the workforce are insisting on being paid the same as those with twenty years of experience.

The issue isn't performance bonuses or increases or whatever.
The issue is base salary or hourly wage.
That's all.

I don't believe that anyone would dispute that people earn compensation over and above their base at different rates nor that people aren't entitled to same.
If two people start at the same time, with the same qualifications and the same responsibilities, they should be paid the same rate.

Do you disagree?
There’s already a law for that

Non issue

Old 05-23-2019, 09:28 AM

Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
25,357 posts, read 14,065,996 times
Quote:

Do you disagree?
you are dismissing salary negotiation???

I go to an interview...I know the going local rate, I research the company and know their average rate, and I know MY SKILLS and how to sell those skills and negotiate a rate.

I also give 110% to my job, and have exemplary annual evaluations to prove it, if some female doesn't understand salary negotiation, yet THINKS she is entitled to what I negotiated, and doesn't sell that argument...then no she shouldn't get the same salary, as she didn't TRY to get it

Last edited by workingclasshero; 05-23-2019 at 09:51 AM..

Old 05-23-2019, 09:36 AM

3,752 posts, read 3,859,615 times
Quote:

Do you disagree?
You do know that is already illegal and it would be a bad business practice anyway.

If you think women are getting paid 80 cents on the dollar compared to men for the same work with the same qualifications producing the same results, any business that hired only women would just completely crush their competition. 20% less overhead on labor is an insane advantage in most industries.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:42 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,050,590 times
Quote:
The examples that poster listed have nothing to do with anything.
They’re just a bunch of made up hypotheticals that don’t address the issue.

The issue is not inexperienced workers vs. experienced workers.
It is not different job responsibilities.

The issue is people with comparable education, work experience, longevity, and the same job description making different salaries for no reason other than gender.
Part of it could also be how aggressive someone is in negotiating starting salaries and pay increases.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:03 AM

3,902 posts, read 1,648,548 times
Feminists believe that women should be paid the same as men. Even if said women have less experience, work fewer hours, choose easier majors in college, work at less demanding jobs, etc.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:06 AM

5,272 posts, read 1,447,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
"Equal value" is the trap

They are free to say Admin = Engineer.

Now if you tell me that Fred the ME with a BSME who works 45 hours a week and has 10 years experience makes more than Lisa the ME with a BSME who works 45 hours a week and has 10 years experience I will agree.
Yes, that is correct. If two candidates, one male, one female have equal experience and work equal hours, they should be paid the same.

However, in most cases, when the left talks about a gender pay gap, they are actually not looking at the same position or even the same industry. In fact, they are looking at the entirety of employment in the country.

They fail to take into consideration that much of this so-called pay gap is the result of individual choices and differences in pay among various industries. For example, more women go into education than engineering, which overall leads to women making less than men.

What can we do about that? Encourage more women to go into engineering or become brain surgeons? Or, force them to do so, perhaps? That's what Harris really wants isn't it?

Old 05-23-2019, 10:58 AM

21,954 posts, read 21,751,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
No, but there are always consequences when our personal life decisions impact the job.
Example I had a friend take a month off for paternity leave. He then opted for a reduced work schedule.
He was also passed over for the next leadership position in favor of a man who had not missed a day of work in 5 years.

Was my friend being punished? No. The needs of the business dictated that it needed a full time person for the leadership role. It cost my friend a $3.50 an hour bump in pay.

Should a woman who took maternity leave, where I work up to 6 months and then comes back on a reduced work schedule get the next leadership job? No
Did I say anything of the sort?
I responded to a statement asking if there could be a guarantee that a female employee would not leave her work duties to give birth.
It is well acknowledged that those who take any extended leave from work or reduce their hours will be passed over for promotions. And I believe that is what some factor into the wage gap. Voluntarily taking leave or reducing you hours does not qualify as unequal pay or a wage gap IMO.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:12 AM

4,980 posts, read 1,249,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
It is totally unnecessary and government over reach. I have hired and managed men and women in the corporate world for over thirty years, and have never seen disparity. If there is it was due to a difference in skills or experience. Often woman leave the workforce to have kids, then come back many years later and lack the experience of their male counterparts. If they are paid less it is due to lack of experience and skills not because they are women.

Harris is just virtue signaling to women that are duped by the current breed of "Feminists".
So a few years ago, I was on a forum that was mostly women. They have a thread griping about how they don't want kids and how people bug them to have kids. It's mostly a thread bashing parents but I digress. So one day, a woman was on there griping about her female coworkers who were mothers who were constantly on the phone with their kids or leaving for doctor's appointments for them and such. I said, "Would it bother you if they made the same $$ as you". You should have seen the replies. One idiot, when reminded the wage gap is a myth and why said 'EVERY study accounts for women leaving the work force to have kids and taking time off'. That was when I left the site. You can't argue with stupid. I looked it up and in less than a second was able to find out that, no, EVERY study does not account for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies