U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 12:32 PM

21,197 posts, read 19,212,676 times

Advertisements

Here is a diagram on the adjusted (meaning compensating for difference in experience due to motherhood and such factors) gender pay gap by industry:

But from what I read the bigger problem is the overall compensation, not the base salary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 12:39 PM

21,715 posts, read 21,605,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
if liberals were ACTUALLY concerned with fairness...then they would be pushing for a pay for performance law, rather than a "same pay/same outcome" scenario that doesn't exist

why should the other person be paid the same as me.........if I have more experience.......and more skill

do you really think the worst mechanic in town, should get paid the same as the best mechanic in town??? just because he is doing the same job, and meeting a "standard"

pay is set by QUALIFICATIONS and needs...needs of the company AND needs of the employee who negotiates starting wage during the application process

do you really think pay should be only set by title???

should a _________(you choose man/woman/it) who has been DOING THE JOB for 1 year be paid the same as a __________ who has been DOING the JOB for 10 years( EXPERIENCE )?????

should a woman or man coming into the shop as a mechanic be paid the same as my lead mechanic, just because the title says mechanic????

should a woman LAWYER just coming out of law school be paid the same as a male lawyer that has been practicing for the last 20 years???

should a woman just coming onto the job, (but has 10 years experience) be paid the same as an employee that has been with the COMPANY for the last 10 years ( LONGEVITY on the job)????

should an employee based in a NYC company be paid the same as an employee based in a Biloxi Mississippi company, just because they have the same title, and are the same type of company??? even though the cost of living is like 4-1 difference??

pay is set by skill, experience, education, and need, and associated benefits (say the woman REQUIRES a 35hr week due to daycare)...and how you PRESENT YOURSELF on the interview
Why are you yelling at me?
Posters were stating if women wanted the same pay as men they should be in IT, engineering and hazard pay jobs instead of secretaries and women's studies. Do you think thats what the equal pay gap is about, too?

Old 05-20-2019, 03:02 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,098,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
Shes becoming more unhinged as she goes down in flames.

Personally, Im very surprised. I figured the combination of being black, woman, and offering free stuff was the quickest way to a Democrat heart....
Yes, I expected she'd be a media darling....but she doesn't seem to be.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:20 PM

2,779 posts, read 996,922 times
If businesses could get the work done for less by only hiring women and paying them less than they'd pay a man that's what they'd do. They wouldn't hire men except as a last resort, and even then would fire them as soon as they could find a woman to do the work. No business is going to pay more than they have to. This "women get paid less" is one of those urban legends that just won't go away.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:34 PM

31,736 posts, read 36,414,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
why don't all the democratic presidential candidates get real and admit they want America's institutions and businesses to completely eradicate rewards for individual effort and merit?

I wish they would.
The Communist way. Govt assigned jobs and fixed pay scales.
That way you have to bribe a Govt official to get ahead.

After all eveyrone is equal and all work is the same. Right ?

Old 05-20-2019, 07:55 PM

3,243 posts, read 897,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
If women want equal pay they need to do blue collar construction jobs such as Heat and Air, electrician, bricklayer, oil rig worker, etc. They also need to study engineering, math, physics, and computer science. These are the best paid jobs and it is mostly men. Somehow women tend to favor low paying jobs such as sociology or liberal arts.

Lastly the stats are manipulated by the left: The compare the salaries of secretaries with engineers and then claim pay discrimination.
This is very true about women choosing lower paying careers. I'm in the electrical-mechanical engineering field, and all my life, (been doing this for 20 years now) I have come across only one other woman in this field. Rest have all been men.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:13 PM

1,415 posts, read 271,578 times
Trump's buddies at the National Enquirer are going to have a field day with her and her days as Willie Brown's mistress if she becomes the nominee.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:27 PM

51,637 posts, read 41,596,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Here is a diagram on the adjusted (meaning compensating for difference in experience due to motherhood and such factors) gender pay gap by industry:

But from what I read the bigger problem is the overall compensation, not the base salary.
Where did you get that chart from?

They had a thing on NPR recently about the wage gap and the researcher that did that one said there is no gap in most industries but there are in a few.

The key would be what are "such factors".

This is a VERY easily manipulated and politicized topic so you have to be extremely careful and read the methodology, adjustments etc.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:31 PM

51,637 posts, read 41,596,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
Trump's buddies at the National Enquirer are going to have a field day with her and her days as Willie Brown's mistress if she becomes the nominee.
She has zero chance. She already attacked Beto, Biden and Bernie for being "white males" and didn't get much traction and that's a sign of desperation.

Unless something major changes, Biden has been selected as the chosen one at whatever backroom meeting the DNC held this time around. He's solid, probably will do pretty well.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:08 PM

859 posts, read 173,485 times
All straight men should be fired. It will make the SJWs excessively happy and less rabid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies