Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 09:23 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Perhaps if husband/baby daddy stepped up with parenting this would not be so. The reason fathers dont have this issue is because it all falls on mothers.
Of course its a personal choice or should be.
Yes. And that is a problem that women need to solve with their mates. However, in the past and even in the present, women who lack a career direction fall back on being a stay at home mother, and find a man to be their bread winner. And it's part of the reason that the make-up and fashion industry is big business, with women trying to look their best in order to catch the best bread winner they can. Many still believe that a woman's face is her fortune.

But employers should not be punished for this mating ritual dynamic. Men are still the primary bread winners and a whole lot of women are still fine with this. Men are also risk takers and more aggressive than most women. And women are better at nurturing and more patient by nature. They also care more about others liking them. My favorite and most productive managers have been men, by far. My female managers are all about everyone playing nice, and trying not to hurt the feelings of the inept and the slackers. I've also had managers bring their children to work, when their childcare options hit a snag. Sorry, but your brats don't belong at work. It's a safety hazard and a liability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 09:32 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
So 90% of fathers are **** because they remain primary breadwinners while their wife takes the career hit to care for their children instead of sharing in the career sacrifice?
That doesnt leave much of a pool to select from.
So, do you oppose pay equality?

Old 05-21-2019, 09:39 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
kinda broad brushed there

step up.????

I was a single working dad for nearly a decade after my first wife's death
Ditto to everything you wrote there.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:47 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
The core problem with this topic is that the original study that STILL makes it's round citing 80 cents or whatnot is horribly dated.

There is still some wage gap, in particular industries, but the majority of it is no longer reality.

At times it starts to feel like people are holding protests over segregated lunch counters.

Women are now the majority getting college degrees. They're increasingly prevalent in higher and higher corporate ranks.

I get tired of what is either old information or patent politically driven dishonesty that keeps some of these memes flowing for votes and donations. It's a divisive lie for the most part.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:52 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, do you oppose pay equality?
I don't support legislating pay equality. No employee is identical in skills and talent. Personality, work ethics are also not equal. Workers are not offering their employers consistency in their outputs and contributions. Some workers will always be more valuable to their employers, and they should be rewarded for their superiority.

Most women just don't give their employers the same focus and commitments to their employers and jobs. So you shouldn't be trying to legislate and punish employers for not paying every single employee equally. Every workplace is unique, not like the cookie cutter fast food restaurants where they have dumbed down the job assignments and the workers only have to respond to customer orders... which is why they get paid minimum wages.

And since unemployment is at an all time low, if employees aren't happy with their pay, they have many options to find work at other companies that will value them more.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:53 AM

6,976 posts, read 2,701,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
"Equal value" is the trap

They are free to say Admin = Engineer.

Now if you tell me that Fred the ME with a BSME who works 45 hours a week and has 10 years experience makes more than Lisa the ME with a BSME who works 45 hours a week and has 10 years experience I will agree.
Fred may get more money and a bigger bonus because HE stayed late to finish the project while Lisa went home to feed her kids, attend a PTA meeting, take kid to doctor , etc.
because her husband was also staying late at job to finish a project.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:38 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The core problem with this topic is that the original study that STILL makes it's round citing 80 cents or whatnot is horribly dated.

There is still some wage gap, in particular industries, but the majority of it is no longer reality.

At times it starts to feel like people are holding protests over segregated lunch counters.

Women are now the majority getting college degrees. They're increasingly prevalent in higher and higher corporate ranks.

I get tired of what is either old information or patent politically driven dishonesty that keeps some of these memes flowing for votes and donations. It's a divisive lie for the most part.
correct

the gender gap or so called glass ceiling is a myth

the glass ceiling lie

another liberal lie

someone brings up the equal pay thing they lose

...the 'glass ceiling is a LIE

EVERY job that I have seen women in they make the SAME as their male counterparts based on SENIORITY and SKILL
the MYTH of the glass ceiling is just that..a MYTH

Quote:
We often hear about a "wage gap" between women and men. In 1992, the ratio of female to male, year-round, fulltime earnings was 71 cents to the dollar. This includes workers of all ages and all types of jobs. Among workers 25 to 34, the 1992 ratio was 82 cents on the dollar. And in a real "apples to apples" comparison, the gap narrows more. June E. O'Neill, director of the Congressional Budget Office, did a study based on the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth by Ohio State University's Center for Human Resources Research. O'Neill found that among people 27 to 33 who have never had a child, women's earnings were about 98-99% of men's. Similar results occur if you compare the earnings of women and men of the same education and experience in the same professions.
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/199...nings-of-women
Women also have created jobs, for themselves and others. In 1980, there were about 2 million women-owned businesses with about $25 billion in sales. in 1996, according to the National Foundation for Women Business Owners, nearly 8 million companies with more than $2.25 trillion in sales are owned by women. One in four American workers is employed by a woman-owned business.

In many occupations, including speech pathology and financial analysis, women earn far more than men. When it comes to college degrees, women outpace men by a fair shot. According to the Wall Street Journal, “single, childless women between ages 22 and 30 were earning more than their male counterparts in most U.S. cities, with incomes that were 8 percent on average."

if liberals were ACTUALLY concerned with fairness...then they would be pushing for a pay for performance law, rather than a BS glass ceiling that doesn't exist

why should the other person be paid the same as me.........if I have more experience.......and more skill

do you really think the worst mechanic in town, should get paid the same as the best mechanic in town???

pay is set by QUALIFICATIONS and needs...needs of the company AND needs of the employee who negotiates starting wage during the application process

do you really think pay should be only set by title???

should a _________(you choose man/woman/it) who has been DOING THE JOB for 1 year be paid the same as a __________ who has been DOING the JOB for 10 years( EXPERIENCE )?????

pay is set by skill, experience, education, and need(daycare, hours, etc)...and how you PRESENT YOURSELF on the interview, where you NEGOTIATE for the salary

liberals always look to mediocrity, instead of striving for the best

now liberals will force LOWER PAY for all...the fascist liberal dream...all of us being serfs

Old 05-21-2019, 11:34 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
kinda broad brushed there

step up.????

I was a single working dad for nearly a decade after my first wife's death
And I was a single working mom for 15 years after my first husbands death and a married working mom 6 years prior to his death. But overall when children come it is the mother who takes parental responsibility that will limit her income. I know its anecdotal but none of the men I know personally wanted to be the one to stay home with the kids or was willing to go part time or be the one to stay home with sick kids, or take off for doctor appts. etc. It is a couples personal choice, just saying. It seems a lot of people belittle mothers for making less due to sacrificing their career for children, but fathers are parents too and seldom make those sacrifices.
As well women make up majority of custodial care takers after divorce and when a father is not involved. So, yes it is a broad brush.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:54 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
And I was a single working mom for 15 years after my first husbands death and a married working mom 6 years prior to his death. But overall when children come it is the mother who takes parental responsibility that will limit her income. I know its anecdotal but none of the men I know personally wanted to be the one to stay home with the kids or was willing to go part time or be the one to stay home with sick kids, or take off for doctor appts. etc. It is a couples personal choice, just saying. It seems a lot of people belittle mothers for making less due to sacrificing their career for children, but fathers are parents too and seldom make those sacrifices.
As well women make up majority of custodial care takers after divorce and when a father is not involved. So, yes it is a broad brush.
single dads are on the rise, and have been for the last 30 years

https://www.theatlantic.com/national...le-dad/284016/

https://ifstudies.org/blog/five-fact...single-fathers

https://goodmenproject.com/featured-...-fathers-sjbn/

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...032-X/fulltext

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...s-to-rise.html
Households headed by single dads now account for more than 16 percent of single-parent homes..up from 12% in 2007...up from 1% in 1962

single fathers represent a sizeable proportion: about 2·6 million families in the USA....., 330 000 in Canada......, and 300 000 families in the UK are headed by single fathers

Old 05-21-2019, 11:55 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Yes. And that is a problem that women need to solve with their mates. However, in the past and even in the present, women who lack a career direction fall back on being a stay at home mother, and find a man to be their bread winner. And it's part of the reason that the make-up and fashion industry is big business, with women trying to look their best in order to catch the best bread winner they can. Many still believe that a woman's face is her fortune.

But employers should not be punished for this mating ritual dynamic. Men are still the primary bread winners and a whole lot of women are still fine with this. Men are also risk takers and more aggressive than most women. And women are better at nurturing and more patient by nature. They also care more about others liking them. My favorite and most productive managers have been men, by far. My female managers are all about everyone playing nice, and trying not to hurt the feelings of the inept and the slackers. I've also had managers bring their children to work, when their childcare options hit a snag. Sorry, but your brats don't belong at work. It's a safety hazard and a liability.
Yes and I said its a personal choice. Just saying women are often looked down on for making these sacrifices or choices but it is because of those that fathers are able to earn more. I just think working mothers should get a little credit for this instead rebuttal although I dont feel these choices should be used to cry wage gap.

I also agree Harris' proposal is over the top. I see nothing wrong with disclosing pay scales but requiring the reporting of "the total pay and total compensation gap that exists between men and women, regardless of job titles, experience and performance" is misleading and uncalled for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies