Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 10:42 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times

Advertisements

Harris will socially engineer all of us into the best slaves we can be.

I shall cast my vote for her shiny and fresh idea of bondage.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 11:03 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,552,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
https://www.apnews.com/252e6519aad242739072498948093df2

good or bad idea. Seems like a good idea for lawyers and lawsuit happy women
Would she fine companies that pay women more than men? Of course not. Harris is just another racist, sexist democRAT

Old 05-20-2019, 11:19 AM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
The devil is in the details, Harris & company would want a bureaucrat that they own to decide what jobs are "equal".

Old 05-20-2019, 11:55 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Right decision. People should only get paid differently for the same job title when one excels while the other is mediocre or sucks.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:10 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Kammy Harris is an idiot

Old 05-20-2019, 12:14 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
"Equal value" is the trap

They are free to say Admin = Engineer.

Now if you tell me that Fred the ME with a BSME who works 45 hours a week and has 10 years experience makes more than Lisa the ME with a BSME who works 45 hours a week and has 10 years experience I will agree.
Exactly, but I dont think thats the case 99.9% of the time.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
If women want equal pay they need to do blue collar construction jobs such as Heat and Air, electrician, bricklayer, oil rig worker, etc. They also need to study engineering, math, physics, and computer science. These are the best paid jobs and it is mostly men. Somehow women tend to favor low paying jobs such as sociology or liberal arts.

Lastly the stats are manipulated by the left: The compare the salaries of secretaries with engineers and then claim pay discrimination.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Men do 96% of the dying in dangerous decent paying jobs. Plus dominating science and engineering - the hard degrees. Reading about womens studies then doing part time work is not going to pay as well as mastering quantum mechanics - in a sane world.
I would imagine this is about equal pay for the same job position, not equal pay for day care employee and engineer.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal25 View Post
What if one of them is simply better at their job or all MEs with the same degree and hours worked inherently equivalent in the quality of their work?
Wouldn't that be what bonuses/promotions are for?

Old 05-20-2019, 12:20 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
The devil is in the details, Harris & company would want a bureaucrat that they own to decide what jobs are "equal".
And that....is exactly where the "devil" is in the details. A government bureaucrat or agency deciding exactly what each position within a company is "worth", to a private company.

My neighbor has a lawn service take care of his lawn. I take care of my own. My neighbor feels his lawn guy is worth more to him, than I think he would be to me...hence I don't use his services. Is either of us wrong ? Absolutely not! In fact we're both right. It's a judgment call, and includes our own very individual opportunity cost for our own very individual situations...and companies would be no different with their analysis I'd think.

Is the aerospace engineer worth the same as the janitor who cleans the bathrooms in the same facility? When I enter the bathroom I certainly want it clean, and don't want poop on the floor, so I guess for my immediate needs, and for the protection of my health, the janitor is indeed worth the same amount as the aerospace engineer who has no direct impact on my day to day work experience. Oh...except for the fact that without the aerospace engineer I may not even have a job, there is that!

So how exactly do you determine the value of dissimilar jobs in dissimilar companies and boil that all down into an exact salary amount that in the bureaucrats opinion "should" be paid for this exact person in this exact job?

If this idea, as presented, were ever implemented, it would be a a train wreck in the making...and anyone with an ounce of sense would see that coming.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:22 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I would imagine this is about equal pay for the same job position, not equal pay for day care employee and engineer.
if liberals were ACTUALLY concerned with fairness...then they would be pushing for a pay for performance law, rather than a "same pay/same outcome" scenario that doesn't exist

why should the other person be paid the same as me.........if I have more experience.......and more skill

do you really think the worst mechanic in town, should get paid the same as the best mechanic in town??? just because he is doing the same job, and meeting a "standard"

pay is set by QUALIFICATIONS and needs...needs of the company AND needs of the employee who negotiates starting wage during the application process

do you really think pay should be only set by title???

should a _________(you choose man/woman/it) who has been DOING THE JOB for 1 year be paid the same as a __________ who has been DOING the JOB for 10 years( EXPERIENCE )?????

should a woman or man coming into the shop as a mechanic be paid the same as my lead mechanic, just because the title says mechanic????

should a woman LAWYER just coming out of law school be paid the same as a male lawyer that has been practicing for the last 20 years???

should a woman just coming onto the job, (but has 10 years experience) be paid the same as an employee that has been with the COMPANY for the last 10 years ( LONGEVITY on the job)????

should an employee based in a NYC company be paid the same as an employee based in a Biloxi Mississippi company, just because they have the same title, and are the same type of company??? even though the cost of living is like 4-1 difference??

pay is set by skill, experience, education, and need, and associated benefits (say the woman REQUIRES a 35hr week due to daycare)...and how you PRESENT YOURSELF on the interview
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies