U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2019, 10:28 AM

10,737 posts, read 4,016,065 times

Advertisements

The FCC is proposing to pass regulations that enable and encourage the telecoms to automatically block robocalls. FCC Commissioner Ajit Pai has also stated that he believes that the telecoms should provide this service at no charge.

The FCC proposal being considered would also enable the ability to only allow calls that are on a customer's contact list - a 'whitelist'. You can do this now on your mobile phone using apps, but this proposal would apparently include landlines and would integrate this capability in with the customer's actual account with the phone company. I really like this idea and I think this is may very well be the way that I use my phone going forward.

Well, the debt collectors who rely heavily on robocalls, are not amused and they are in fact blasting the proposal. Who would have guessed?

Quote:
Debt Collectors Blast FCC Plan To Block Robocalls

Debt collectors make money based on their ability to bother people who don’t want to be bothered, but how can you bother people if you can’t reach them?

That’s essentially the argument of ACA International–the trade association that represents the debt-collection industry–which is expressing concerns about a proposed FCC rule that would allow telecom companies to block unwanted robocalls by default. Although ACA wouldn’t use the word “bother,” the group said in a statement Friday that the proposal is problematic because it could prevent legitimate businesses from communicating with consumers.

At the same time, it’s hard to muster much sympathy for this particular baby. Debt collectors are notorious for strong-arm tactics, outright threats, and fraud. And debt-collection agencies have proven, time and again, that they can’t police their own behavior. According to the FTC, debt collectors generate more complaints than any other industry.
Now to be fair, if someone is not paying their debts according to the terms agreed to, it is not unreasonable for the extender of credit or the lender to try to collect those amounts. But the tactics these people have established are apparently quite outrageous to the point of being excessive and sometimes quite unacceptable.

So some balance needs to be maintained here. But it seems to me that this balance should be achievable entirely without the use of robocalls.

Also, we need to be able to block all political robocalls. The politicians are likely to try to pursue a special carve-out for themselves. But that should not be provided to them. The unwanted political robocalls are in my opinion, the most undesirable and annoying robocalls of them all.

Last edited by Spartacus713; 05-20-2019 at 10:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 10:44 AM

32,439 posts, read 26,308,370 times
robocalls need to be eliminated from the face of the earth. the purveyors of these types of calls be damned to hell forever.

as for the debt collectors, their tactics need to be severely limited in scope as to what they can legally do to collect a debt. these criminals tend to go far beyond questionable tactics, and dive straight into the criminal tactics arena. especially when they lie and claim to be cops, or court appointed attorneys, or what ever else they claim, or they constantly bother the wrong people at all hours of the day or night, or call the people while they are working.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:49 AM

24,762 posts, read 9,647,370 times
Get up Monday morning and find support for the FCC and regulations.

Yeah, it's going to be a long week in Statistville.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:52 AM

5,214 posts, read 1,563,293 times
I can't believe anyone who doesn't own a robocall business would not support ending all robocalls.

Then again, I couldn't believe that consumers opposed net neutrality also.

Wonders never cease.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Get up Monday morning and find support for the FCC and regulations.

Yeah, it's going to be a long week in Statistville.

From a Republican, Trump appointed FCC, no less. I guess most conservatives and Republicans are not actually libertarians after all. Who knew?

Old 05-20-2019, 10:57 AM

24,762 posts, read 9,647,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
From a Republican, Trump appointed FCC, no less. I guess most conservatives and Republicans are not actually libertarians after all. Who knew?
Nobody would mistake Trump or the FCC for natural law advocates. There are numerous ways to avoid robocalls without involuntary 3rd party interference. Plenty of apps as well direct communication with your carrier. I run my own business which means I have to take calls from everyone and anyone yet I don't receive any robocalls.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:59 AM

51,893 posts, read 41,774,553 times
As the target of robocalls, most of which are illegal scams to begin with....I'm 100% fine with blocking robocalls.

I'm also fine with instilling the death penalty for running a robocalling fraud ring.

If they not US citizens then I'm also fine with a visit from a seal team or 500lb bomb.

I'm in a good mood today too, on a bad day I'd be down for harsher penalties like scaphism.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Nobody would mistake Trump or the FCC for natural law advocates. There are numerous ways to avoid robocalls without involuntary 3rd party interference. Plenty of apps as well direct communication with your carrier. I run my own business which means I have to take calls from everyone and anyone yet I don't receive any robocalls.
Well, I am planning to get a new mobile phone in a few months, and I may very well just set up a white list. For people who do not want to do that, it would be great to be able to opt out, or maybe even have to opt in to robocalls, at the telecom level and not having to try to download and configure apps and whatnot.

If the debt collectors, or the politicians, or whoever want to have a real person sitting there punching in the numbers and trying to call you, that is one thing. But these robocalls are ENTIRELY undesirable and unwanted in my opinion, and I for one would be very happy to see them stopped once and for all.

Old 05-20-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
As the target of robocalls, most of which are illegal scams to begin with....I'm 100% fine with blocking robocalls.

I'm also fine with instilling the death penalty for running a robocalling fraud ring.

If they not US citizens then I'm also fine with a visit from a seal team or 500lb bomb.

I'm in a good mood today too, on a bad day I'd be down for harsher penalties like scaphism.
Scaphism. That was a new one for me. I had to look it up. It is too gross to provide a link, otherwise I would have.

Over in places like Singapore, they still do caning. It seems to me that might be a good deterrent to robocallers here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies