U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 02:57 PM

28,103 posts, read 15,254,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Yes, the question of ownership is anything but transparent.
Ownership also matters regarding subsidies. If it is a state-owned company, the allegation of subsidies makes no sense as the state is simply the rightly investor. Subsidies only applies to non-state companies receiving state money.
THEN - we are no longer talking about a private company, and we are talking about Chinese government behind this behavior, which is a whole different issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 03:13 PM

10,768 posts, read 9,210,947 times
Not just Huewei.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/30/...-spying-china/

Old 05-20-2019, 07:14 PM

276 posts, read 200,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I still don't get what exactly the supposed problem is with Huawei, other than it being a leading competitor
It's probably arguably easier to take on a company in its current state then let it grow into a behemoth. I guess what the fear is here is basically it doesn't want it to turn out into a Google of China i.e. have an ecosystem in the 5G environment where they have everyone by the balls and threaten you at their will.

These days it's not quite so simple to produce all your own goods without some reliance on another company.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:03 PM

14,480 posts, read 9,567,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Yeah, just one tiny problem in this particular case - in 5G they are ahead of everybody. Do I need to explain further?

Meanwhile US semiconductor supliers' stocks have literally taken a nosedive with some down 20% in just a few days.
Good thing Dems convinced me that Wall Street has nothing to do with Main Street. You see, it works both ways.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:06 PM

9,892 posts, read 6,224,172 times
"Google Cuts Ties with Huawei"

Good, better late than never.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:09 PM

1,412 posts, read 288,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Intel, Qualcomm, and others have now been banned from working with Huawei, which is another big blow.

No, they do not have adequate stockpiles to offset this, I can promise.
I wonder if the government is going to subsidize the $11 billions those companies are going to lose like it happened with farmers.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:16 PM

1,753 posts, read 974,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Good thing Dems convinced me that Wall Street has nothing to do with Main Street. You see, it works both ways.
Well, the bolded does not apply to me, so not going to address.

Second, stocks react instantaneously to bad news, regardless of what they are. However in this case the bad news is tremendous loss in revenue, would like me to explain what happens next? I thought some people here were very worried about the loss of "good jobs". Well the jobs in question often require a Ph.D. so they are (or should I say were?) good.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:34 PM

65,962 posts, read 33,420,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Trump is working hard to keep people from doing business in US.
Back door into all our secrets.
The US was going to cease intel communications with the UK, if they kept their contracts.

Old 05-21-2019, 02:22 AM

2,530 posts, read 527,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Trump is working hard to keep people from doing business in US.
Is that why Google won't do business with Huawei? I ask because the story posted seems to say there were specific reasons apart from your insinuation. Maybe read the OP again?

Old 05-21-2019, 07:40 AM

20,321 posts, read 13,798,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
It's probably arguably easier to take on a company in its current state then let it grow into a behemoth. I guess what the fear is here is basically it doesn't want it to turn out into a Google of China i.e. have an ecosystem in the 5G environment where they have everyone by the balls and threaten you at their will.

These days it's not quite so simple to produce all your own goods without some reliance on another company.
You cannot even make a pencil without depending on thousands of employees from dozens of companies, all loosely working together to supply the raw materials so that your company can produce its end product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ERbC7JyCfU&t=
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or