U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 02:56 PM

21,230 posts, read 14,251,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
He's only polarizing because cnn repeats orange man bad.

A paper napkin would be polarizing to the far left. The far left refuses to work with anyone else.

Most of Trump's policies are similar to bill Clinton's in the 90s so there goes that argument.
No. Trump would be polarizing if CNN didn't exist. He's been a polarizing figure in the United States ever since he took control of his father's fortune, and he set out to be that figure when he was still a very young man.

Polarization is what Trump does, has always done, and will always do.

Polarization is how Donald Trump gets through his life. It's the thing that gives him what he needs the most to keep living.

Politics was only the way he saw to get all the attention he's always craved. That's why he was once a Democrat and and Independent before becoming a Republican. It took him some time to learn which party would best satisfy his cravings.

There has never been anyone like him in the White House before, and it's unlikely there will ever be anyone like him in it again for a very long time to come.

Is he unique? Nope. Just rare, very, very rare. Most of those like him have never had the money to gratify their endless need for attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 03:01 PM

11,011 posts, read 6,450,785 times
Hard to predict when Trump will leave office if he keeps getting years tacked on to his presidency for years of enduring a coup. But, when he does leave, I think Ben Shapiro will be a very real possibility.

Old 05-21-2019, 03:13 PM

9,425 posts, read 2,291,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Hard to predict when Trump will leave office if he keeps getting years tacked on to his presidency for years of enduring a coup. ...
Not possible, not legal.

Old 05-21-2019, 03:20 PM

34,516 posts, read 28,796,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
I never thought that the country would ever be ready for someone with the name Barack Hussein Obama? Especially after 9/11.
Why, though? We had no problems with guys named stuff like Bush and Trump after the OKC bombing was carried out by Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols.

What does a name have to do with anything? Barack Obama wasn't a closet member of Al Qaeda.

Old 05-21-2019, 03:21 PM

21,230 posts, read 14,251,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Not possible, not legal.
Not legal, but do-able. Any democracy's greatest weakness is succumbing to a strongman who subverts the law and gets away with it.

Old 05-21-2019, 03:22 PM

107 posts, read 33,842 times
I mean no not really, I have little faith in humanity, but few people are as depraved and ignorant as he is. And before you go calling me names, here is how I grade the last 10 of presidents and human beings:

trump president: D- Human being: F
Obama president: C- Human being: C+
W. Bush President: D Human being: D+
Bill Clinton President: C+ Human being: C-
Bush Sr. President: D+ Human being: D+
Regan: D- Human being: D+
Jimmy Carter President: D+ Human Being: B+
Ford president: D+ Human Being: C-
Nixon president: D Human being: F
LBJ president: D+ Human being: C-
JFK president: C- Human being: C-
Eisenhower president: B- Human being: C

well...... what a track record we have, Eisenhower is the last president to get a passing grade.

Old 05-21-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
He's only polarizing because cnn repeats orange man bad.

A paper napkin would be polarizing to the far left. The far left refuses to work with anyone else.

Most of Trump's policies are similar to bill Clinton's in the 90s so there goes that argument.
Funny enough, I never have required CNN or any other news network (I don't even watch network TV) to tell me that I don't like Donald Trump.

I decided that for myself in the 1980s and all he's done recently is reinforce my already-ill opinion of him.

He's an idiot.

Old 05-21-2019, 03:27 PM

9,425 posts, read 2,291,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Steve Bannon, Stephen Miller, and to a large extent Jeff Sessions. None of them is a likely presidential candidate, but collectively they represent Trump-like vision/policies. Perhaps from their coterie will emerge a like-minded viable candidate.

As an anti-Trumper, I have to concede, that Trump has struck a nerve. He's masterfully tapped into a brooding, latent discontent. Whether or not Trump wins in 2020, this latent discontent won't go away. It will only fester.
Re: the bolded, I agree.

The main cause of the discontent is, ironically, traditional Republican establishment policies.

It is Republican tax policy that has generated the wealth and income gap that causes people to feel they have been left behind. Companies even get tax credits for developing automation technologies which replace human beings on the factory floor.

It is Republican free trade policy that has allowed so many of the rest of American jobs to flee overseas. Even Trump (as well as his daughter Ivanka) contracts with Asian sweat shops to manufacture his clothing line.

The Republicans built a 'base' of working class voters by exploiting wedge issues. These people vote on the one issue they care about most and wind up getting hurt on almost every other policy the Republicans advance.

There is no resolution for this festering resentment under standard traditional Republican policy, it can only get worse. When Trump retires (and he will) there needs to be a Trump clone to carry on, and I don't see anyone yet that fits the bill.

Old 05-21-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Re: the bolded, I agree.

The main cause of the discontent is, ironically, traditional Republican establishment policies.

It is Republican tax policy that has generated the wealth and income gap that causes people to feel they have been left behind. Companies even get tax credits for developing automation technologies which replace human beings on the factory floor.

It is Republican free trade policy that has allowed so many of the rest of American jobs to flee overseas. Even Trump (as well as his daughter Ivanka) contracts with Asian sweat shops to manufacture his clothing line.

The Republicans built a 'base' of working class voters by exploiting wedge issues. These people vote on the one issue they care about most and wind up getting hurt on almost every other policy the Republicans advance.

There is no resolution for this festering resentment under standard traditional Republican policy, it can only get worse. When Trump retires (and he will) there needs to be a Trump clone to carry on, and I don't see anyone yet that fits the bill.
An angry tweeter who can claim to be a business genius...

Old 05-21-2019, 04:12 PM

3,228 posts, read 1,846,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Why, though? We had no problems with guys named stuff like Bush and Trump after the OKC bombing was carried out by Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols.

What does a name have to do with anything? Barack Obama wasn't a closet member of Al Qaeda.
Since the subject is about someone with a Jewish last name becoming president. I was responding to this post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa:
I don't think we are ready for someone with a name like "Shapiro" for President; or ever will be.
What does Bush or Trump have to do with the OKC bombing? Neither of their names sound like anything similar to McVeigh's or Nichols' ? They don't even have the same first names.

Whereas Obama sounds similar to Osama. Remember: Osama Bin Laden? Obama's middle name "HUSSEIN" is the same as the late Iraqi dictator Saddam HUSSEIN. Barack is not exactly a common sounding name either in the United States. His entire name sounds middle eastern. Never did I think that someone with a middle eastern sounding name could ever get elected especially after 9/11. Just as I wouldn't expect someone with a name like Heidler or with the first name of Adolf getting elected right after World War Two. Or someone with a Japanese sounding name.

I'm not even suggesting that Obama, (as much as I can't stand him) was in any way associated with Al Qaeda. Even though he vowed to "fundamentally change America" to his liking. Which led to the election of Donald J. Trump.

"jbgusa" doesn't think that someone with the last name of "Shapiro" could ever get elected president? My whole point was that if someone with a middle eastern sounding name can get elected (someone who's name sounds similar to a terrorist's and a ruthless dictator) than why couldn't someone with a Jewish last name get elected?

That shouldn't be too hard to figure out now should it?

When in doubt, check it out: FAQ

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 05-21-2019 at 04:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or