Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 11:06 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Looks to me like the average conservative is in the same frame of mind as under Obama. They are not moving to the extreme. They are more open to things like ending the war on drugs and they don't mind abortion as much as years past. Conservatives have moved closer to the center on most issues over the past 20 years. You could call them the new moderate base. Leftists continue to push deeper into left field, showing America just how wacky they can be.
^this is straight up comedy and the real problem. Conservatives think they're the moderates, it's called cognitive dissonance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 11:57 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,455,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
The torch ends with Trump
That looks to be the case for now.

There is no likely successor. Not Pence for sure. Trump's appeal is largely based upon his unique personality and the followers pack all of their hopes and dreams into it. Trump did not arise out of a faction, he literally was a dark horse, and he does not have a notable faction in Republican leadership in office even now. As far as I can tell there is no other person alike to Trump, not even in the House Freedom Caucus.

What we know of the Republican party, how it is funded and the traditional ideology indicates to me that there is a disconnect between the Trump base and the traditional Republican party.

It could be that within six years the establishment will retake the party and the Trump base will either lose it's voice or conform.

If people disagree with this assessment I would certainly like to see what they have to say.

Old 05-21-2019, 12:08 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
I think the logical progression would be:

1) Melania takes over when Trump is gone.

2) Then Don Jr.

3) Then Ivanka

4) Then Barron.

5) Then Barrons son, assuming he has one at that point.

That would insure that this Dictatorship would extend into the next century.

A man can dream, can't he ?

Old 05-21-2019, 12:35 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
There is no likely successor. Not Pence for sure. Trump's appeal is largely based upon his unique personality and the followers pack all of their hopes and dreams into it. Trump did not arise out of a faction, he literally was a dark horse, and he does not have a notable faction in Republican leadership in office even now. As far as I can tell there is no other person alike to Trump, not even in the House Freedom Caucus.
Steve Bannon, Stephen Miller, and to a large extent Jeff Sessions. None of them is a likely presidential candidate, but collectively they represent Trump-like vision/policies. Perhaps from their coterie will emerge a like-minded viable candidate.

As an anti-Trumper, I have to concede, that Trump has struck a nerve. He's masterfully tapped into a brooding, latent discontent. Whether or not Trump wins in 2020, this latent discontent won't go away. It will only fester.

Old 05-21-2019, 12:37 PM

21,932 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Leftists have been moving to the extreme and gravitating closer towards Marxism. That's because Trump expresses deep love for America and Americans, and that really irks leftists. It's kind of funny actually because leftists would absolutely hate living in most Marxist orientated countries. Why are leftists so interested in harming themselves and others?
Because it's profitable (to them). Clintons got rich in office. Sanders now owns three houses. China has given millions to Hunter Biden. Follow the money.

Old 05-21-2019, 01:33 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Who will carry the Torch?

After Trump is no longer in office (let us assume for argument's sake 5-1/2 years), who will carry on in his place?

Is there a legitimate successor to the Trump legacy waiting in the wings?

Ted Cruz? Stephen Miller? Tom Cotton? ... is there anyone else more uniquely qualified? What will the Trump movement do for an encore?

What is the vision for the Trump movement in the coming decades? Who can be entrusted with the torch?
Successor? What is he, a King?

Old 05-21-2019, 02:22 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,354,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I don't think we are ready for someone with a name like "Shapiro" for President; or ever will be.
I never thought that the country would ever be ready for someone with the name Barack Hussein Obama? Especially after 9/11.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 05-21-2019 at 02:32 PM..

Old 05-21-2019, 02:24 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,900,192 times
Quote:
After Trump is no longer in office (let us assume for argument's sake 5-1/2 years), who will carry on in his place?
Probably one of Trump's flunkies like Ron DeSantis.

Old 05-21-2019, 02:27 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,900,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpow View Post
Jeanine Pirro, Mike Pompeo, Candace Owens, Ben Shapiro, and Nikki Haley would all be interesting candidates.
Jeanine Pirro? Her Senate run was a total disaster and couldn't even beat Hillary. Besides, Trump doesn't like to surround himself with losers.

Candace Owens? What a joke.

Nikki Haley? Maybe.

Old 05-21-2019, 02:35 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Because it's profitable (to them). Clintons got rich in office. Sanders now owns three houses. China has given millions to Hunter Biden. Follow the money.
Most elected people in Washington have 2 dwellings. A place at home and one in DC. From what I read years ago, Sanders has a modest condo by DC standards.
The vacation house was due a inheritance from her parents. Ever been to Tahoe and seen those summer cabins that have been there for 100 years? IIRC, his wife sold it and bought one closer to her needs.

And I don't even like Sanders or Biden.

How many dwellings does Trump have? How much has his family made from Saudi's, Russians? Chinese?

What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies