U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-21-2019, 09:06 AM
 
7,242 posts, read 2,147,586 times
Reputation: 9009

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I don't find pronouns confusing at all.

In a hospital, nobody is wandering around looking for the "pregnant lady." That's not how healthcare works. They enter your room/cubicle/whatever and verify who you are based on your bracelet and your verbal self-identification (your last name and birthdate). If a trans man comes in and is pregnant, trust me, the relevant staff is aware of the situation.
Right.

There have been circumstances in the past where talking about TG as a "TG" has caused lawsuits. So describing patients? May be a no - no depending on how litigious the TG is. So how do you explain to other staff that the MAN over there? Needs OBGYN care and make sure you say HIM not HER. He is pregnant? Biologically impossible.

Not sure how you do not find that factually incorrect, but OK. /shrug/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-21-2019, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Philaburbia
32,309 posts, read 59,585,988 times
Reputation: 53805
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Did you not miss the part where I said this is extremely confusing and results in a lot of issues with timely care for patients?
How is it confusing? If someone says they're transgendered and stopped taking T, believe them and treat them accordingly. If someone suspects they're pregnant, believe them and treat them accordingly. If someone says they're having abdominal pains believe them and treat them accordingly.

If someone says they're transgendered, suspects they're pregnant, and is having abdominal pains -- that's right! Believe them and treat them accordingly. What's confusing about that?

Only medical staff with their heads up their rears wouldn't know what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2019, 09:54 AM
 
7,242 posts, read 2,147,586 times
Reputation: 9009
According to article which is a paraphrase of another article, the EMR had the patient listed as male. That in itself is a huge problem. Huge. And if anyone thinks that does not impact care, think again.

The article also does not claim that care given was wrong or inappropriate.

It also does not state that any healthcare provider at the hospital was in any way disrespectful to the patient.

It's a Monday morning quarterback hack job on an unfortunate situation that is using emotion to act as though there are discriminatory practices when TGs get healthcare.

It's making the situation political, rather than healthcare related.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2019, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Boston, MA
11,660 posts, read 8,255,086 times
Reputation: 5760
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
They knew that he still had female reproductive organs and that he was pregnant. It sounds more like general ineptness of the staff, to be honest.
Perhaps you are correct but If I saw a transgendered man, reproductive organs intact or not, I would assume that he/she was not having heterosexual sex with other men. If for no other reason than who would want to have sex with him.

The depths of this insanity may never be plumbed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2019, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Middle of nowhere
20,322 posts, read 10,396,400 times
Reputation: 7953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Perhaps you are correct but If I saw a transgendered man, reproductive organs intact or not, I would assume that he/she was not having heterosexual sex with other men. If for no other reason than who would want to have sex with him.

The depths of this insanity may never be plumbed.
Why would the hospital staff be worried about anyones sex life or who they are having sex with? They are not there to make moral judgments, or assume anything, they are there to care for sick and injured people. The patient in this case informed them of the fact that he was trans and that he had a positive pregnancy test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2019, 11:19 AM
 
2,670 posts, read 894,851 times
Reputation: 1006
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
"In reality, he was pregnant "

No, in the real world she was pregnant.
Or how about, a woman who masqueradeded around as a man was pregnant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2019, 11:58 AM
 
Location: Florida
5,661 posts, read 3,638,622 times
Reputation: 10613
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Right.

There have been circumstances in the past where talking about TG as a "TG" has caused lawsuits. So describing patients? May be a no - no depending on how litigious the TG is. So how do you explain to other staff that the MAN over there? Needs OBGYN care and make sure you say HIM not HER. He is pregnant? Biologically impossible.

Not sure how you do not find that factually incorrect, but OK. /shrug/
I'm assuming you've never worked in healthcare? Nobody can (legally) describe patients within the earshot of other patients and random bystanders. Does it happen? Of course it does. But it's not supposed to.

When doctors and nurses and other medical staff consult among each other, though, they can and do explain the story to one another. So yes, absolutely an ER nurse would say to the ER doctor, "that is a transgender male who is pregnant."

But all told, it doesn't even matter, because the nurse KNEW he was pregnant. Then the nurse decided that in his or her professional opinion, the patient did not need emergency care at that time. It makes no differnece whether the patient went by Bob or Barbara or Fred or Beelzebub. It was not a secret that the patient was pregnant. The issue is that the nurse made a bad call and then the situation ended with a stillborn baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2019, 12:00 PM
 
7,242 posts, read 2,147,586 times
Reputation: 9009
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I'm assuming you've never worked in healthcare? Nobody can (legally) describe patients within the earshot of other patients and random bystanders. Does it happen? Of course it does. But it's not supposed to.

When doctors and nurses and other medical staff consult among each other, though, they can and do explain the story to one another. So yes, absolutely an ER nurse would say to the ER doctor, "that is a transgender male who is pregnant."

But all told, it doesn't even matter, because the nurse KNEW he was pregnant. Then the nurse decided that in his or her professional opinion, the patient did not need emergency care at that time. It makes no differnece whether the patient went by Bob or Barbara or Fred or Beelzebub. It was not a secret that the patient was pregnant. The issue is that the nurse made a bad call and then the situation ended with a stillborn baby.
Then why is the focus of the story that a TG received bad care because the patient was TG?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2019, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,661 posts, read 3,638,622 times
Reputation: 10613
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Then why is the focus of the story that a TG received bad care because the patient was TG?
Uh, because "Nurse makes bad call and baby dies" does not elicit enough clicks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2019, 12:56 PM
 
19,248 posts, read 17,395,652 times
Reputation: 10513
If society is mad, don't blame individual citizens for going along with it. I just listened to a story where a man crashed his car and ran off to leave his wife to die in the wreck. All because he was driving on a suspended license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top