Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 09:18 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times

Advertisements

Those of us in the north always wondered why so much divorce, STD, Obesity is happening in the Southern areas. Not much we can do...they must not be smart enough to stay healthy, etc.

Florida, GA and NC are all "winners" on the rate of abortion per 100,000 chart. Texas, OH, LA, Ariz, TN are all in the middle.......

Doesn't seem to me much of a divide. Except in Obesity and stuff like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 05:03 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,673,944 times
The Anti-Abortion position is split. In fact one side actually makes the case for the Pro-Choice position. The Anti-Abortion position that allows for the procedure in cases of rape or incest are saying that some women deserve a choice. The constitution protects every one not some.

Old 05-21-2019, 05:07 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Those of us in the north always wondered why so much divorce, STD, Obesity is happening in the Southern areas. Not much we can do...they must not be smart enough to stay healthy, etc.

Florida, GA and NC are all "winners" on the rate of abortion per 100,000 chart. Texas, OH, LA, Ariz, TN are all in the middle.......

Doesn't seem to me much of a divide. Except in Obesity and stuff like that.
Southern states have had a long history of obesity and low education due to being Democrat states for the majority of their history.

Do you believe these are trends thay started 25 years ago? Lol

Old 05-21-2019, 05:19 AM

16,035 posts, read 6,843,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankTellYouWhat View Post
I have 2 opinions on abortion.

1. Why would I care what you do to yourself or anything sustaining life directly through your body? It will never affect me.

2. the number 1 threat to the earths prosperity is overpopulation. Why many people seem to want MORE people, when the threat is more substantial than every major disease combined?

1) It will never affect me? Stand in line with all the other pissed off tax payers.....
2) Overpopulation ? It's easier ,cheaper and moral to educate and pass out protection globally than rip a fetus limb from limb.

Old 05-21-2019, 05:53 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,419,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
It doesn't matter whether 'actual facts as described' exist.....that wasn't the point.

The POINT WAS that pretty much every Democrat running for anything,when asked a hypothetical question similar to the one 'I described' has pretty much responded as 'I described'.If you are unaware of this you need only listen to the radio or watch any Sunday morning news show.Countless Democrats have been asked some hypothetical variation on a question about their position on allowing abortion up to the moment of delivery and every single one I've heard has refused to denounce the idea.If one would at least challenge the idea that that would happen,as you did,I would give them credit.So far they all just say they trust women and doctors and won't even denounce the hypothetical question asked.

Here let me try it with you....." Would you hypothetically support a womans right to get an abortion if she were nine months pregnant and her water broke but she simply changed her mind?"
This is patently ridiculous and you know it. The actual response you are hearing is that the pro-choice position is...LET THE FAMILY AND THE DOCTOR MAKE THE DECISIONS. When that happens, decisions will be made in the best interest of the people involved and not forced by outside factors and fear.

I am perfectly comfortable saying that if a woman in her third trimester decides at the last minute that she does not want to be a mother, she and her doctor can make the decision about what to do next. No doctor would say sure, let's kill this viable baby. Why on earth would you trust lawmakers more than doctors and patients?

Women communicating freely without fear allows for better medical decisions--better prenatal care, better deliveries, healthier babies, better adoptions. I've never seen any evidence that any third-trimester abortions are done for reasons other than dire medical extremis of the mother or baby. If any are, they are immoral in the extreme and no law would stop them.

These laws are NOT ABOUT situations like that, and they are not really about limiting the number of abortions. There are much better ways to do that and we all know it. But sex education and birth control don't allow crusaders to punish women for their behavior.

Last edited by Sanderling; 05-21-2019 at 06:34 AM..

Old 05-21-2019, 05:57 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,094,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Southern states have had a long history of obesity and low education due to being Democrat states for the majority of their history.

Do you believe these are trends thay started 25 years ago? Lol

There's more to it than that. Southern states are divided amongst rich and poor. It's always been that way, and a middle class started to make an appearance mainly after the Atlanta Olympics and more people moved to the south. Things are heading back to how they were before, rich and poor. Just that little taste of prosperity then yanking it away has a lot of people angry.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:31 AM

21,928 posts, read 9,498,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
I dont think this is ever going away. There is goign to be a loud faction of the population who believe life begins a conception, there is going to be a faction who thinks life begins when the baby is born. Those people are diametrically opposed to each other, no technology advances or compromises would suffice. Women are not going to be happy about getting turned into incubators no matter what, we can revamp our adoption system and foster care so that 100% of babies end up in a loving home, people still wouldnt want to be an incubator. You can advance modern medicine so that as soon as a heartbeat is detected you can transfer the fetus to an incubator and carry it to term. Most people still wouldn't be cool with having a genetic clone of themselves out in the wild, there is a psychological toll that you pay when you give a child up for adoption, most people worry about them, people want to meet their parents, its not ideal. As long as this is single issue voter approved there is no incentive for either party to reach a compromise.
But no psychological toll from having an abortion?

Old 05-21-2019, 06:33 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,419,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
But no psychological toll from having an abortion?
Not necessarily. Definitely not.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:34 AM

62,938 posts, read 29,134,396 times
I find it odd that the liberal left claim we need more immigration because our birthrates are low and on the other hand most of them are pro-abortion. Huh?

Old 05-21-2019, 06:35 AM

21,928 posts, read 9,498,367 times
I dare you pro choice people to look at this week by week development of a baby. I know you won't.

https://www.babycenter.com/fetal-dev...t-week-by-week
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies