Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 06:28 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Step forward? Not so fast.
The price point makes them more expensive than similarly optioned out IC vehicles. To the tune of 10k or more. You can buy a lot of gas for that money.
much shorter range over similarly optioned out IC vehicles,
much longer recharge/fueling times over similarly optioned out IC vehicles
Greatly reduced range/functional capability in temperature extremes
No advantage from an environmental perspective due to reliance on coal fired electricity for charging, reliance on petroleum products for production and battery disposal concerns
Inability to tow
Oh here is one win in the ev column; vanity and the ability to boast to your neighbor and anyone else in earshot about how environmentally conscious you are!
The concept of the ev has been around as long as the IC vehicle and consumers voting with their dollars have clearly prefered the IC vehicle over the ec. The only thing driving the market right now are politicians bearing mandates and onerous regs, crony hucksters (think elon musk) and misinformed environmental crusaders.
Don't buy one. It's easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 06:30 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFn1WEaYY3A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXZeq9eXAys

Old 05-22-2019, 06:31 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Don't buy one. It's easy.
yes that part is
Its the politicians, eco nuts and the rent seeking hucksters after everyones money that are the real problem.

Old 05-22-2019, 06:45 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
It says that you don't have any argument against it based on logic or fact. Care to try again without ad hominem?

http://is2.4chan.org/o/1557349912503.png
What is that image even suppose to represent? That one technology is trying to deal with the poisoning the other is creating?

Old 05-22-2019, 08:13 AM

2,359 posts, read 1,035,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post

What is that image even suppose to represent? That one technology is trying to deal with the poisoning the other is creating?
Not so much that, I think, but it illustrates that the luxury of electric transportation is made possible largely by the availability of a source of steady, reliable energy provided by fossil fuels.

You see...to fully appreciate the irony encapsulated in the photo, one must understand that the charging stations shown in the foreground are being powered by the fossil fuel-burning generator in the background.

It's quite humorous, if you take the time to consider the premises.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:28 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
yes that part is

Its the politicians, eco nuts and the rent seeking hucksters after everyones money that are the real problem.
And that is my only gripe about EVs. If companies want to build them, great. If energy providers want to build charging apparatus and stations for them, great. If people want to buy them and virtue signal from now until Doomsday, great. Just don't take my money by force (taxation) to subsidize them. Leave me out of it.

I keep hearing "don't like it, then don't buy one." OK, but on that exact same path, if you do like them, pay for them yourself and don't force me to subsidize your choice.

I couldn't care less about the tech, the future of the tech or any of that "tastes great, less filling" crap. I care about being forced to help virtue signalers pay for their choices.

Stop forcing me to pay for it, and I have no opinion on the EV matter whatsoever.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:32 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
Not so much that, I think, but it illustrates that the luxury of electric transportation is made possible largely by the availability of a source of steady, reliable energy provided by fossil fuels.

You see...to fully appreciate the irony encapsulated in the photo, one must understand that the charging stations shown in the foreground are being powered by the fossil fuel-burning generator in the background.

It's quite humorous, if you take the time to consider the premises.
No, that is not a generator in the background. But considering your source, why am I not surprised that is what you chose to believe. Carry on.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:40 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times
The charging time is definitely an obstacle to this becoming mainstream or overtaking gasoline vehicles. The crazy thing is that they can easily make the batteries swappable and that problem will be solved. You would pull into a station, pop open the hood, the attendant pulls out the battery and puts in a fully charged one, you pay and then you go. If they do that, EV would become mainstream very quickly.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:45 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Worthy of note is that in the first photo ostensibly showing a photovoltaic charging station, all four parking spaces in front of the charging bay are completely and utterly devoid of cars. There doesn't even appear to be an EV in the picture at all...with the only vehicles visible in the photo appearing to be standard gas-powered models.

On the other hand...it's a good thing that Chevron's primary business of providing real, dependable, usable energy in liquid motor fuel form generates enough profit to underwrite fancy yet useless gee-gaws purporting to deliver mere intermittent, undependable energy for sale to a motoring public that obviously isn't interested in buying it.
All public chargers around me are full pretty much all day. I know because I rely on them to charge my cars. Please keep in mind that most EVs are charged at home.

I drove by a gas station the other day, and it was completely devoid of cars. What a waste of money, eh???

Old 05-22-2019, 08:47 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Correction: It will be mainstream when the consumer starts buying it in numbers greater than IC models. That day is still far in the future, if it ever should arrive at all.

Lotta cracks in that crystal ball you're using. You may want to get another.
If it ever happens? Are you being obtuse on purpose? Fuel is, by definition, a finite source of energy, whether we like it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies