Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 07:22 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,122,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
This won’t pass the constitutional mustard. Even if it did, war.
I find the notion that the lazy people in this county are going to mount a war over this pretty hilarious.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:22 AM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 28 days ago)

34,605 posts, read 16,671,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Every state doing this is a Demonicrat state and no Republican state will agree to this and it's also likely not going to be constitutional....it's a good "pissing in the wind" exercise for the Demonicrats though. I still think TDS stupidity is fun when it's not violent.
The problem is that it's purple states as well. Examples are Colorado and Nevada. The scions in those legislatures are afraid that their people might favor Trump and they "know better."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
No it's not. States don't have the right to enter into compacts without Congressional approval.
It's not a "compact" the way you think it is.

It is simply a state saying "this is how we plan to use our EC votes."

Which they can do, legally.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:25 AM

34,152 posts, read 18,427,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
It's not a "compact" the way you think it is.

It is simply a state saying "this is how we plan to use our EC votes."

Which they can do, legally.
Are you a Constitutional Attorney? This will go to the courts and be overturned. Watch. States can not disenfranchise their voters in this way to circumvent the Constitution.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
The electoral college is in there for one reason: it prevents large population centers from running the whole show by themselves. I don't want California values dictating how the rest of the country is to be run, and I don't care if Trump loses the popular vote next time by 10,000,000 votes (which obviously a good portion of these are illegal votes to begin with). The democrats are going to have to work with flyover country, otherwise they aren't going to win.
The big flaw in this argument is that you think the POTUS is ever "running the whole show" because that's just not the case.

I mean, the current POTUS is loud, but he's not actually "in charge" of anything but the Executive branch of the US Government.

We still have other branches, and we still have (in theory) checks and balances.

All states are represented quite fairly in Congress.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:26 AM

34,152 posts, read 18,427,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Why do you think that's what is happening?

The president serves the people, not the states. I've never seen the logic, in our modern society with much higher population density, of having a POTUS put into office by the electoral college.

Why does the vote of a person in Montana or South Dakota count more than the vote of a person in New York or Texas, simply because there are more people in the latter?

THAT is what should not be constitutional.

The vote of each citizen should be equal.

States get equal representation in the Senate.
No, you are absolutely wrong. The House represents "The People". The President does NOT. You need a Civics course.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:27 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,407,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
This is nothing more than an attempt to stop Trump from winning in 2020. Its irresponsible, dangerous and It will eventually lead to succession. Our founding fathers knew what they were doing “leave it alone”.

https://www.rgj.com/story/news/polit...sh/3760601002/
Had Hillary won electoral vote, you would be in here saying the EXACT opposite...

Old 05-22-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Are you a Constitutional Attorney? This will go to the courts and be overturned. Watch. States can not disenfranchise their voters in this way to circumvent the Constitution.
I don't need to be one to understand that every state can cast their EC votes however they want.

You also know that members of the EC can go and cast a vote for a person that their state didn't vote for, right?

Just checking.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:30 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,140,447 times
Quote:
Where did you see that?

NYC, and L.A. should NOT dictate to the entire U.S. The Electoral College was put in place, and has remained for our entire existence as a Constitutional Republic. There is a good reason it is there, and if people want to get rid of it, they should move to amend the Constitution. The Constitution has been amended many times before. If enough people want it changed it can be changed legally.
From Trump.

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/...494082?lang=en

Old 05-22-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
No, you are absolutely wrong. The House represents "The People". The President does NOT. You need a Civics course.
No. I really do not.

The Senate represents the states. The House represents the people on a state-by-state basis. That's how Congress is fair to everyone.

The POTUS, however, also represents all the people. That's why we all vote for the POTUS, rather than our states' governors casting a vote for their POTUS choice.

POTUS serves all the people.

I do not need a Civics course because I actually know how the government works. I suggest you read up on it, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies