U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 07:35 AM

39,489 posts, read 40,805,534 times

Advertisements

Unexpected visitors should always be a concern. I was just recently in NJ at a hotel, about 10PM someone is banging at the door. I asked who it was and they say open up it's the police. I can see out the peephole it wasn't the police and had I been in PA I would of been reaching for the gun just to be prepared. I was getting ready to call the front desk and I hear "is this the right room".... "Sorry...." Just a couple of kids that made a mistake.

I had another weird thing happen at the hotel, some guy waving at me in the parking lot and I stop to see what he wants and he's trying to open the door the car to get in.... He thought I was the Uber guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 07:39 AM

39,489 posts, read 40,805,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
and unless they display some sort of threat,

Criminals are not always stupid and may not appear to be a threat until it's too late. If you have an unexpected visitor you should assume they are threat, that doesn't mean you pull out a gun and point it at them. What that means is be aware of your situation and surroundings.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:56 AM

18,279 posts, read 10,380,277 times
Only in America would it become arse-backwards to the requirement of a guy going about his daily job having to comply with the unreasoning fear held by some firearms owners simply seeing anybody just walking up their driveway.

What's next?

Amazon or Fed-Ex getting sued by just one delivery guy who got shot under similar circumstances? Duty to protect extending to having homeowners expecting door delivery required to post a multi-thousands dollar bond guaranteeing no harm to employees making deliveries to your property?

Don't be surprised if a couple of these incidents result in delivery companies refusing to allow driver's to enter any private property environs and you find your parcel out on the sidewalk. You having to drive to a central collection office to pick your parcels up is where this could end up and YOU having to identify yourselves thoroughly before receiving your packages is the just and obvious conclusion to this silly conundrum.

Nice way to highlight and make completely oxymoronic that "Land of the Free Home of the Brave" bullcrap!

Old 05-23-2019, 08:01 AM

10,634 posts, read 2,714,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
You can't train the 'stupid' out of people. If he publicly admits to almost shooting an Amazon delivery guy ...he's stupid beyond measure.
Yes, plus he must be in a state of extreme fright most of the time, if he is ready to shoot a delivery driver...what is he so scared of?

Old 05-23-2019, 08:05 AM

6,043 posts, read 3,473,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Only in America would it become arse-backwards to the requirement of a guy going about his daily job having to comply with the unreasoning fear held by some firearms owners simply seeing anybody just walking up their driveway.

What's next?

Amazon or Fed-Ex getting sued by just one delivery guy who got shot under similar circumstances? Duty to protect extending to having homeowners expecting door delivery required to post a multi-thousands dollar bond guaranteeing no harm to employees making deliveries to your property?

Don't be surprised if a couple of these incidents result in delivery companies refusing to allow driver's to enter any private property environs and you find your parcel out on the sidewalk. You having to drive to a central collection office to pick your parcels up is where this could end up and YOU having to identify yourselves thoroughly before receiving your packages is the just and obvious conclusion to this silly conundrum.

Nice way to highlight and make completely oxymoronic that "Land of the Free Home of the Brave" bullcrap!
Oh for peteís sake, BruSan. You always have the choice to stop inserting yourself in American affairs if silly stories like this get your shorts in such a twist. You have nobody but yourself to blame for your aggravation due to your spending 24 hours a day here looking for topics to interject your smug Canadianism into.

Itís true that these drivers ought to be more identifiable. I live in a rural part of Austin and they frequently make deliveries in personal cars very late at night here. It probably IS in their best interest to wear bright vests.

Does anybody *really* think that Ice T was going to cap an Amazon driver? Seriously?

Old 05-23-2019, 08:10 AM

12,124 posts, read 6,697,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
This guy is paranoid for sure. Maybe fall under one of those red flag laws? Dude almost shot a simple delivery person. Uniform or not should not matter, it could be anyone coming up for a reason, and unless they display some sort of threat, merely coming up to deliver something or even ring the door bell is not a reason to almost shoot someone.

Lol, that was my first thought also.
He's probably got some enemies. Lots of celebrities have stalkers and receive threats.

I was scared once by a meter guy, he parked the utility truck down the road and had no vest or anything, he was just walking around the house like any stranger skulking about. It wasn't until I realized it was meter reading day that I figured it out.

IMO, Amazon should not be allowed to use contractors, just fully trained and vetted employees with clean records and strict rules. Anything they do wrong is on Amazon, so they can't pull the "contractor not our responsibility" card.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Oh for peteís sake, BruSan. You always have the choice to stop inserting yourself in American affairs if silly stories like this get your shorts in such a twist. You have nobody but yourself to blame for your aggravation due to your spending 24 hours a day here looking for topics to interject your smug Canadianism into.

Itís true that these drivers ought to be more identifiable. I live in a rural part of Austin and they frequently make deliveries in personal cars very late at night here. It probably IS in their best interest to wear bright vests.

Does anybody *really* think that Ice T was going to cap an Amazon driver? Seriously?
Im not sure uniforms would really help that much, if people are THIS scared of strangers lurking around their properties, criminals that are motivated enough, can easily obtain a uniform or wear something that looks close enough from a distance.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:48 AM

51,969 posts, read 41,815,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im not sure uniforms would really help that much, if people are THIS scared of strangers lurking around their properties, criminals that are motivated enough, can easily obtain a uniform or wear something that looks close enough from a distance.
I think that in fairness, we do not know what sort of bizarre stalkers, death threats, past beefs etc. might be out to get him or his wife for that matter.

It's not like he's just "Bob" that works at the grocery store.

The list of murdered rappers is as long one.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I think that in fairness, we do not know what sort of bizarre stalkers, death threats, past beefs etc. might be out to get him or his wife for that matter.

It's not like he's just "Bob" that works at the grocery store.

The list of murdered rappers is as long one.
That is true, but when you talk about rappers being killed, its the likes of Biggie and Tupac that come to mind...KNOWN for being involved in drugs, gangs, etc. Ice T has a strange rap history, at first he was known for being really anti-police, when songs like 'Cop killer' came out, he was glorifying murder of police...but then he gets an acting gig on Law &Order SVU, and over the years, he has sort of done a 180 on his opinion of police, he is now pro-law enforcement from what Ive seen.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:55 AM

34,643 posts, read 28,987,475 times
Formerly affiliated with the Crips (he wasn't an actual member, because he got into rap) and a wealthy, black celebrity.

Yeah... he probably wants to know who is creeping up to the porch.

You know he didn't "almost shoot" anyone, right? I have a feeling that there would be no "almost" with a guy like him.

He was being humorous about a potentially alarming situation. When Amazon Prime first launched around here, I thought it weird that random-seeming people just drove up in their own cars with brown paper bags and dropped stuff on the porch.

If you see one at the wrong time, it looks more like they may be TAKING stuff and not bringing it.

His recommendation for them to wear vests or something to identify them was a good one.

Which is why Amazon took the whole tweet in the lighthearted nature in which it was intended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or