U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 08:59 AM

6,005 posts, read 3,465,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Formerly affiliated with the Crips (he wasn't an actual member, because he got into rap) and a wealthy, black celebrity.

Yeah... he probably wants to know who is creeping up to the porch.

You know he didn't "almost shoot" anyone, right? I have a feeling that there would be no "almost" with a guy like him.

He was being humorous about a potentially alarming situation. When Amazon Prime first launched around here, I thought it weird that random-seeming people just drove up in their own cars with brown paper bags and dropped stuff on the porch.

If you see one at the wrong time, it looks more like they may be TAKING stuff and not bringing it.

His recommendation for them to wear vests or something to identify them was a good one.

Which is why Amazon took the whole tweet in the lighthearted nature in which it was intended.
Red Zin <nails> it right on the head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 09:03 AM

11,872 posts, read 7,309,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
That is true, but when you talk about rappers being killed, its the likes of Biggie and Tupac that come to mind...KNOWN for being involved in drugs, gangs, etc. Ice T has a strange rap history, at first he was known for being really anti-police, when songs like 'Cop killer' came out, he was glorifying murder of police...but then he gets an acting gig on Law &Order SVU, and over the years, he has sort of done a 180 on his opinion of police, he is now pro-law enforcement from what Ive seen.
He actually is not.

He finds it funny and ironic that he plays a cop on TV, but he still hates the police, and will speak out loudly against police brutality given the opportunity.

I met him at a music festival in 2014. (OK granted that's five years ago now, kinda seems like five minutes ago but whatever.) But he performed at the GWARBQ with Body Count, and they just put out another album 2 years ago. Incidentally, and unrelated to the conversation, but just because it's a delightful memory for me...I took a whole bunch of inflatable sex dolls to that festival, and I have pictures of both Ice T and his wife, CoCo holding and/or um...interacting with...them.

By the way, I would not characterize him as "a rapper." Yes, he is a black vocalist, but Body Count is a metal band. Cop Killer isn't a rap song.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:04 AM

48,101 posts, read 45,475,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Ice-T is 61? Wow.
Yep. He sure is 61. He's old.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:06 AM

48,101 posts, read 45,475,380 times
I'm wondering if age (he's 61) and a hood mentality has something to do with this.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:14 AM

18,273 posts, read 10,371,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Oh for peteís sake, BruSan. You always have the choice to stop inserting yourself in American affairs if silly stories like this get your shorts in such a twist. You have nobody but yourself to blame for your aggravation due to your spending 24 hours a day here looking for topics to interject your smug Canadianism into.

Itís true that these drivers ought to be more identifiable. I live in a rural part of Austin and they frequently make deliveries in personal cars very late at night here. It probably IS in their best interest to wear bright vests.

Does anybody *really* think that Ice T was going to cap an Amazon driver? Seriously?
And as usual you always have the choice to put me on your ignore list.

So Ice T is not to be believed when he said he almost shot someone ...okie dokie.

It's only true in one country, among those of the first world developed nations, that two issues collide to create this situation. Fear and firearms.

You call this a silly story but the rest of us read this nonsense happening over and over again. Sometimes on these very boards.

Japanese foreign student lost seeking a house party does the normal thing in any other country and goes up to a house and rings the doorbell to ask directions only to be shot and killed through the un-opened door. The homeowner was a stupid chickenchit who owned a firearm and was also acquitted of any wrongdoing. Only in America!

Another stupid guy shoots his own daughter through a closed door:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...er/3738938002/

And yet another: Black teen misses bus, gets shot at after asking for directions in Rochester Hills - Story | WJBK

Unreasoning fear and firearms.

These are just a couple of the "silly stories" you so blithely refer to.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:14 AM

Also, and more to the point, I believe that RedZin is right, too. The Ice T that I met, would totally have exaggerated, in saying that he "almost shot" someone, to make his point. And I agree, if you don't live in the kind of setting where you regularly get random Mormons and cable salesmen ringing your doorbell, the sight of a stranger cruising up to your porch, especially if they just put something down and leave without ringing the bell or knocking or anything... Yeah, that might look sketchy!

Having delivery people wear a vest or something really does seem like a solid idea.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:16 AM

11,620 posts, read 3,978,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Delivery people for any company should be easily identifiable; customers should be able to say "Ah, it's the pizza guy" or "Ah, it's my Amazon package".

So this guy would shoot someone for trespassing? I am an advocate of personal defense however I know of no state in this country where shooting a trespasser would be legal for the act of trespass alone. You have to be in fear for your life or the lives of others. Some dude walking up the driveway with an Amazon box does not seem to meet the test.

Maybe Tracy Marrow (aka Ice T) should seek out firearms training in order to be a responsible gun owner. I've had trespassers on my property and none have been "almost shot".
Ice-T isn't a big fan of people in blue uniforms if I recall correctly.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:23 AM

To focus more on Amazon's end of this, I think it just makes sense to have the delivery people identified because I can think of other people who are way more legit scary than Ice T who might spook if they saw a strange person coming to their door.

John McAfee? I wouldn't want to deliver a package to him in plain clothes. Plenty of paranoid and well armed people in America, it's true. Seems a way to visibly identify delivery people would be a good idea.

Although...to be fair...I usually have an idea that I'm expecting a delivery of something, before it arrives.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:53 AM

6,005 posts, read 3,465,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
And as usual you always have the choice to put me on your ignore list.

So Ice T is not to be believed when he said he almost shot someone ...okie dokie.

It's only true in one country, among those of the first world developed nations, that two issues collide to create this situation. Fear and firearms.

You call this a silly story but the rest of us read this nonsense happening over and over again. Sometimes on these very boards.

Japanese foreign student lost seeking a house party does the normal thing in any other country and goes up to a house and rings the doorbell to ask directions only to be shot and killed through the un-opened door. The homeowner was a stupid chickenchit who owned a firearm and was also acquitted of any wrongdoing. Only in America!

Another stupid guy shoots his own daughter through a closed door:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...er/3738938002/

And yet another: Black teen misses bus, gets shot at after asking for directions in Rochester Hills - Story | WJBK

Unreasoning fear and firearms.

These are just a couple of the "silly stories" you so blithely refer to.
You sound very frightened. My advice is to sell your Florida condo, stop spending half of your year here in the States, and retreat back to the safety of Ontario for good.

It’s just a miracle that you’ve survived in America this long without being randomly shot while collecting your mail. Just amazing. Get out while you still can!

Old 05-23-2019, 11:05 AM

51,927 posts, read 41,791,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
That is true, but when you talk about rappers being killed, its the likes of Biggie and Tupac that come to mind...KNOWN for being involved in drugs, gangs, etc. Ice T has a strange rap history, at first he was known for being really anti-police, when songs like 'Cop killer' came out, he was glorifying murder of police...but then he gets an acting gig on Law &Order SVU, and over the years, he has sort of done a 180 on his opinion of police, he is now pro-law enforcement from what Ive seen.
Ok, forget rappers, let's talk entertainers then.

2 of the 4 Beatles for example (that I know of) were shot or stabbed by nutjobs.

His wife probably has some weirdo stalkers too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or