Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 01:18 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,125,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
It's odd and gloomy when you go outside and there are no birds chirping. Unnatural somehow...
Life in the big city. I got to tell you, I went outside the city after so many years and I actually heard something that was very nice. Crickets at night. Seriously, I completely forgot about that sound, until I left the city and heard it again for the first time in like ten years. Another one is the sound a large quantity of Cicada make at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 01:31 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Yes, also a very nice sound Or the sound of flying insects. All those sounds make me remember my childhood somehow. We used to have a big garden with a fountain in the middle, where birds would rest in the summer. And bird houses for the winter

I also live in a big city and never get out. But there are lots of birds, sometimes they hop around on the roof, even seagulls. When I get up early, like 5-6am I hear a regular concert Birds have such short lives, so they are probably desperate to attract a mate, where singing plays a big role.

Hehe, there are many videos on YT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQTLZRC_FhU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-ZwwWeO6DI

Last edited by Neuling; 05-23-2019 at 01:46 PM..

Old 05-23-2019, 09:18 PM

35,054 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
Maybe everyone can just wear a big plastic bubble, then they'll just bounce off of the car that hits them.
That actually sounds like it could be fun ....boing , boing , boing, oh look a huge SUV...boing ...Basinga !!!
I'm going to rep both of. you for humor. Life in the big city all right.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:22 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I have just read with some alarm the article on the CNN website, New York might make it illegal to text while walking, about a proposed ban on texting while crossing streets. While a texting ban might not be so bad, the legislation appears to extend to any use of an electronic device while crossing the street.

One of the great pleasures of life that I have in life is my morning walk and/or jog. During this morning exercise, I listen to a variety of music. The way the law is worded such a pleasure will become a violation of the law, subjecting one to arrest and fine.

Why I believe strongly in pedestrian and motorist safety, there must be some ground for personal freedom, enjoyment and recreation. One should not, on morning sojourns around the neighborhood, have to keep ones eyes peeled for a police officer. This is one occasion where The dictates of the majority leaders of the two houses of the state legislature, and the governor must be subject to public input.
Liberals love the nanny state.

Old 05-24-2019, 01:12 AM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times
We have to protect the stupid among us....It is also dangerous for drivers.........You are driving down the street and hit a distracted person, who do you think will get sued?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTPxZ1n4M-M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYgTM1pPjKQ

Old 07-19-2019, 07:55 AM

Default Listening to audiobooks while driving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I don't have the time to read; I listen to audiobooks which allows me to "read" during my daily walks and while driving around. Why waste time?
Would the anti-cell-phone freaks have a problem with listening to books, albeit through the car's speakers, handsfree?

Old 07-19-2019, 08:01 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,698,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I have just read with some alarm the article on the CNN website, New York might make it illegal to text while walking, about a proposed ban on texting while crossing streets. While a texting ban might not be so bad, the legislation appears to extend to any use of an electronic device while crossing the street.

One of the great pleasures of life that I have in life is my morning walk and/or jog. During this morning exercise, I listen to a variety of music. The way the law is worded such a pleasure will become a violation of the law, subjecting one to arrest and fine.

Why I believe strongly in pedestrian and motorist safety, there must be some ground for personal freedom, enjoyment and recreation. One should not, on morning sojourns around the neighborhood, have to keep ones eyes peeled for a police officer. This is one occasion where The dictates of the majority leaders of the two houses of the state legislature, and the governor must be subject to public input.

Just a couple of days ago, I was out shopping and watched person after person go by with their hand glued to their ear. What the Hell do they have to talk about so much that they can not give up using their cell phone for even a few minutes ?

Next time you are out in public, watch people. 50% of them are not paying any attention to their surroundings, as they are engaged in some conversation on the damn cell phone. I think those phones will go down as the best and worst invention in the history of mankind.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:35 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
I don't mind if people use cell phones while walking as long as when they step out in front of me and I hit them, they have insurance to pay for damage to my car.

Old 07-19-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
Just a couple of days ago, I was out shopping and watched person after person go by with their hand glued to their ear. What the Hell do they have to talk about so much that they can not give up using their cell phone for even a few minutes ?

Next time you are out in public, watch people. 50% of them are not paying any attention to their surroundings, as they are engaged in some conversation on the damn cell phone.
Remember, there is a distinction between what should be legal requirements, and the needs to have a civil society. When I go out jogging, I see dog walkers with their ears glued to their phones. No time to say "hi" to a neighbor or jogger, or enjoy the beauty of the morning cool before the day's heat. Such indulgences should not be legislated, but people should not miss the joys of life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
I think those phones will go down as the best and worst invention in the history of mankind.
Absolutely. Rep-worthy.

Old 07-19-2019, 09:16 AM

78,376 posts, read 60,566,039 times
I've had people using cell phones walk into me on a few occasions while I was standing still. No harm done but I think to myself about people like my elderly neighbor that just had knee surgery etc. and wonder just how big of a self-absorbed d-bag someone has to be where they could quite possibly be knocking down and hurting elderly or young people.

You want to wander into traffic? Go right ahead. I've seen two people get absolutely plowed by bike messengers they stepped out in front of in downtown Chicago....enjoy those separated shoulders and the new suit you have to buy.

As with dang near everything, a small % of people ruin just about everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies