Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 08:51 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
I'm liberal and I think the record store was dumb for doing this. Just be quiet and put Morrissey's records out in the bins without drawing attention to them. They'll just collect dust because he's a washed-up has-been from 30 years ago.
You know something is messed-up when you see a post that says "I am [LGBT, Muslim, liberal, conservative, Latino, Asian, Black, White, Native American, etc.] and even I disagree with the actions a specific person in my socio-political group has done".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2019, 04:39 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
You mean a baker is going to refuse to make a cake for a gay wedding.
Baking a cake is slightly different, as it's selling your own skills and labour, and you can turn down a job id you so wish, just as a builder can state he doesn't want a job or a gardner, or that he is too busy.

However banning other peoples work in relation to books or records just because they share a different political stance, is a lot more controversial.

The record shop ban is not really a massive issue, indeed you can easily download the album, however it is part of a worrying trend, whilst the the banning of adverts for Morriseeys new album by Merseyrail was more controversial, and demonstrates a lack of tolerance for those who don't share the politics of the left and how quickly large organisations ban things after a mere one complaint.

Whilst the recent banning of some right wing commentators off social media, is even more worrying.

I don't support the right or left, but I do feel that banning individuals because they have a different view is a dangerous road for society to take.

I might not agree with everything Morrissey says or youtubers such as Paul Joseph Watson and Carl Benjamin ( aka youtuber the Sargon of Akkad). or indeed people like Tommy Robinson, however I don't believe they should be silenced by the establishment for having different views on subjects. Even James Woods has been banned.

Paul Joseph Watson: Virtually Every Prominent Online Personality Who Helped Get Trump Elected Has Been Banned From One Or All Social Media Sites

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-27-2019 at 04:56 AM..

Old 06-02-2019, 09:03 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
this is a great article.

https://spectator.us/morrissey-right...shment-insane/

“‘Morissey [sic], what happened?’ the Guardian agonized on Twitter. But maybe they already know the answer. In just a decade, political correctness has obtained a stranglehold on Western culture. The provocateurs and counter-cultural icons of the late 20th century have been replaced by commercially compromised ‘influencers’, and artists who are carefully selected by social censors.”

“It was England, and the West in general, that changed. Today, nations once bastions of free speech and liberalism bear closer resemblance to Middle Eastern dictatorships, with the general public’s livelihood and social status depending on a carefully held tongue and the ‘right’ political opinions.”

Old 06-02-2019, 09:06 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The left is the Taliban of the west.
Meanwhile you want to force everyone to submit to fundamentalist Christian authority and social norms. The GOP is the real Taliban in this country right now.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:46 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Meh -- the left aren't the only ones wanting to ban things.

You just feel more threatened with the left banning, boycotting, not liking what you like.
No, that's totally wrong. The Right want to get away from the Left. We want to escape the madness. You can do what you want to one another, but we have a right to be left alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies