Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 02:17 PM

13,955 posts, read 5,623,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
How much more taxes are you willing to absorb for Trump? $500 a month? $1000 a month?
Apparently you missed the part where I disagree 100% with economic nationalism, tariffs, etc. I despise barriers to the proper, unrestricted flow of capital.

My point was to all the people who have griped about outsource/offshore/globalization/trade deficit/they_took_er_jerbs and demanded government DO SOMETHING to rescue the American worker and consumer....well, this is what that looks like.

You want to have a trade war to end up as big winner and establish new dominance...well, it has a cost. I think free markets work better than nationalism, and I think trade wars are retarded...but I do accept what trade wars look like and how they work. Both Right and Left have complained about our position relative to China, the EU, India, etc. Unions gripe about it, lawmakers from both sides lament it, and gullible sheep eat it up and vote for someone to do something.

Well, this is what "doing something" looks like. Trump is, in fact, doing the something that people have griped on and off about for the last 40 years. It's silly and misguided, ad it makes all markets less free ad punishes consumers...but he's indeed doing something.

Last edited by Volobjectitarian; 05-23-2019 at 02:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 02:17 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,399,488 times
Now the prevaricator in chief is saying China will pay for the 16 billion dollar farmer bailout.

Is there anyone anywhere that stupid who believes that?

...that was rhetorical

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics...iculture-trade

I believe we need to take a hard line against Trump, but Trump can't help but to continue to lie.

Old 05-23-2019, 02:36 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,960,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
with China its a bit more sinister. they manipulate their currency and use that to offset the cost of production. they also subsidize their companies so they make money even while undercutting production costs with their trade partners.

they also control wages artificially low.

Their actions are highly predatory and not based on any free market reality. THat doesn't even begin to deal with what China does in terms of taking intellectual property, stealing technology, demanding companies that do business in China hand over valuable and proprietary information.

If we don't deal with this now, China will destroy our economy eventually. what Trump is doing is dealing with a nation that has been in a Trade war with us for 30 years.

What our liberal friends in this thread are doing is trying to pretend that by not engaging in the trade war with China, we aren't in a trade war.... its a form of insanity.
Why do plenty of other developed countries have a trade surplus with China and no trade war with them, if China makes it impossible to compete with them as you claim?

Are you open to the idea that China is a big distraction and that 40 years of decline for the middle class is not becuase of foreigners, China and immigrants, but because the domestic ruling class of this country dont care about people like yourself?

Old 05-23-2019, 02:49 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,584,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Now the prevaricator in chief is saying China will pay for the 16 billion dollar farmer bailout.

Is there anyone anywhere that stupid who believes that?

...that was rhetorical

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics...iculture-trade

I believe we need to take a hard line against Trump, but Trump can't help but to continue to lie.
Who will pay first, though, Mexico for a wall or China for the bailout?

Old 05-23-2019, 02:53 PM

25,569 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
...............Are you open to the idea that China is a big distraction and that 40 years of decline for the middle class is not ......................
Having been a solid member of the middle class for 50 years, I can tell you that I laughed hysterically at your promotion of the idea that we "middlers" have been in decline.
Middle class is wealthier now than they have ever been before in history.

Old 05-23-2019, 02:59 PM

1,705 posts, read 538,010 times
While 40% of the American people can´t afford a $400 emergency payment.

Old 05-23-2019, 03:26 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,564,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Who will pay first, though, Mexico for a wall or China for the bailout?
Is neither a choice?

Old 05-23-2019, 03:29 PM

25,442 posts, read 9,802,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
Hmm I wouldn’t wait for it
Well, dang. You just burst my bubble!

Old 05-23-2019, 03:33 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
My point was to all the people who have griped about outsource/offshore/globalization/trade deficit/they_took_er_jerbs and demanded government DO SOMETHING to rescue the American worker and consumer....well, this is what that looks like.
This is what idiocy and ignorance looks like. Trump STILL thinks China is writing checks to US Treasury to pay for the tariffs. Ha has no idea he is taxing the American consumer.

Old 05-23-2019, 03:44 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Is this another version of "Mexico will pay for the wall?" Americans are getting stick with these huge bills because the Idiot-in-Chief has no clue how to conduct foreign affairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies