Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2019, 09:59 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,932,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
"Experts" are always right. Roundup is completely safe and Monsanto is the most ethical company in the world.
Lol, yea Agent Orange comes to mind.

Bayer bought Monsanto.
A match made in Hell.
Bayer, the same company that made Zyklon B to exterminate humans.

But that can all be ignored when there is money to be made.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 10:05 AM

26,638 posts, read 28,461,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
I would bet GMOs have helped provide more food for the world and saved more lives than any negative.
I have to admit the name Round Up ready corn kindof bothers me.
Yes, that's one positive result of GMO products--very large production. So it can benefit starving people in other parts of the world. Anything is better than starving. Eating dog food is better than starving.

But the jury is still out as to whether these new foods (genetically altered in a way that cannot occur in nature) are causing increased food allergies and other health problems.

And Monsanto is all about the money. I think we all know that. They do not care.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Growing crops is made difficult because of weeds that grow alongside them and compete with the crops for nutrients, water and sunlight. This will stifle the crops' growth and vigor. Insect pests also will feed on the crops either killing or stifling them. Then there are plant diseases that can wipe out crops.

In order to fight against these 3 enemies, farmers will use chemicals on the crops. However the chemicals also hurt the crops as well. To solve this problem, scientists began trying to genetically engineer crops in such a way that they will not be affected by the chemicals, hence these crops are called genetically modified organisms (GMO). That means that GMO crops are assuredly sprayed with chemicals. These chemicals kill the unwanted weeds, insect pests and disease organisms but they are also not good for humans either.

Despite what the government or some non-believers say, I personally do not believe that these chemicals are safe. They certainly cannot be good for you. Therefore, I try to buy non-GMO's and organic as much as I can.
Ive offered quite a few roundup supporters that say it is perfectly safe, 1000 bucks to drink a cup of the stuff, none have taken me up on my offer.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
very much so. I've long asked why they only howl about monsanto when there are so many other companies doing the same thing...
They are an evil company with a rotten history.
Small time farmers have been raped by them many times.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:26 AM

7,448 posts, read 2,808,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Comparing herbicide to GMO corn. Well that's a strong relationship.

Hey be careful when you go anywhere this weekend, don't drive off the edge of the earth.
While the analogy being made here is indeed bogus, there are pretty interesting relationships between pesticides/herbicides and GMO products, as oftentimes they are specifically modified to be resistant to certain types of pest/herbicides so they can be blanketed in them > kills anything not genetically resistant > which is basically anything except the desired product.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
While the analogy being made here is indeed bogus, there are pretty interesting relationships between pesticides/herbicides and GMO products, as oftentimes they are specifically modified to be resistant to certain types of pest/herbicides so they can be blanketed in them > kills anything not genetically resistant > which is basically anything except the desired product.
In nature, I can think of nothing naturally produced that would kill off insects and plants and leave another plant standing.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:58 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,348,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Comparing herbicide to GMO corn. Well that's a strong relationship.

Hey be careful when you go anywhere this weekend, don't drive off the edge of the earth.
Remind them not to forget their tin-foil hats, too!

Old 05-24-2019, 11:02 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,348,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Yes, that's one positive result of GMO products--very large production. So it can benefit starving people in other parts of the world. Anything is better than starving. Eating dog food is better than starving.

But the jury is still out as to whether these new foods (genetically altered in a way that cannot occur in nature) are causing increased food allergies and other health problems.

And Monsanto is all about the money. I think we all know that. They do not care.
A) Yes, in a way the jury is out yet. I assume you will apply this standard to other scientific areas as well, such as say, climate science?

B) Monsanto is a company, which wishes to make money, yes. Just like any other company in the world. However, the vast amount of research that exists in the scientific community isn't controlled by Monsanto. Science doesn't work that way, and in fact, the entire breadth of work, ranging from those working at Monsanto, to those in academia and publishing, to those in governmental agencies (all of which is shared and replicated) shows the same thing. So, the theory that we are being fed false information because Monsanto wants to make money doesn't hold water.

Old 05-24-2019, 11:11 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,659,676 times
Thanks to Monsanto BT corn is now an insecticide. BT corn is grown all over the country and most of what is sold at farmers markets is BT corn. There are no human studies on BT corn. The consumer of BT corn is the study.
Our bodies were designed to eat natural and organic foods not genetically modified and chemically enhanced plants. Simply because these plants survive this desecration does not mean they are safe to eat. In the US we have an obesity epidemic and autism has grown from 1:1020 to 1:66. One MIT, Phd believes, and has published, that Monsanto's glyphosate is the direct cause of autism. Other studies found that corn sweeteners, like HFCS, is the key cause of most obesity.
There are some posters here that one might think have a vested interested in Monsanto. Monsanto has lost several cases for damages of their product glyphosate in which many of these same posters attempted to defend. If you want good health for yourself and your family I urge you to investigate for yourself. BT corn is toxic and, without a doubt, glyphosate is a carcinogen.
What do you want to feed your children tonight? I suggest organic foods made by God.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=013_xA5mRdg

Old 05-24-2019, 11:12 AM

13,425 posts, read 4,774,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pants45 View Post
Yes. This stuff really is no good to be eating.....

True we have been eating more and more of it for years W/O knowing it......

If you can ORGANIC is the way to go..... The easiest for our systems to handle (Fastest digestion amoung other things)
This is getting ridiculous, with so many posters saying "eat organic, eat organic"....So how do you define "organic"? Non-GMO? No use of pesticides? No use of fertilizers? Anyone can slap a label that says "organic" on a food item and the lemmings will think it is somehow better.

I saw an ad on TV the other day for cage-free eggs. Now i'm in favor of free-range chickens because it's more ethical treatment of animals. But the ad concluded with "better tasting, better for you". Now why would an egg taste any different or have a different nutritional value because the hen was not in a cage?

Others tout the benefits of "organic" vitamins. There is no such thing! Vitamin C is vitamin C, whether you extract it from a plant or produce it synthetically. Ammonia and urea are the same whether they come in cow manure or artificial fertilizer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies