Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 06:42 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,569,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
If you told me you were a Republican, I'd call you a liar.

Yeah, thread titles count too.
So call me a liar. Trump is not the GOP. If it came down to Trump vs AOC, I'd hold my nose and vote for AOC. Trump is not presidential timber. Never was. Never will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 06:47 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,663,106 times
80 to 85% of Republicans support Trump. The real figure is higher. To the extent that any claim otherwise, it is nuance......i.e. "well, he's better than the alternative" or something.

They have lost any credibility in ANY of their stated issues - balancing the budget, corruption, war, free markets, government out of my head and womb, etc.

They are basically authoritarians now...plain and simple.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:49 PM

29,794 posts, read 24,876,501 times
I'm not crazy about him, but love the fact that he gets under liberals thin skin so easily. Totally worth whatever trouble he causes. Maybe people will smarten up and demand smaller, less powerful government. The founding fathers founded this nation on the basis of small, limited government. What happened, and what party am I supposed to support if that is what I desire?

At any rate, he's going to get my vote in 2020 for sure. There is no one out there who can stand up to Trump without getting knocked down. It's a field of losers, and Trump will easily triumph over every one of them.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:06 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,246,866 times
Limited government requires a more conscientious populace than we have now. The composition of our country changed because of immigration, and letting in people who are less conscientious and more prone to corruption and lawlessness. The most conscientious, law-abiding people come from northern Europe and northeast Asia. Funny how those places are the most advanced.

The business wing of the Republican party was driving lax immigration policy for the past 50 years. They benefitted from cheap labor and foisted the costs of immigration onto the commonwealth. It was selfish, putting profit over country and I am done with that crowd.

If you want limited government to make a comeback, first we need to socialize all the recent immigrants into a rule of law and self-sufficiency mindset. If it's even possible, that will take generations. In the meantime we need "law and order", i.e. state coercion to keep all the plates spinning.

I have lost all respect for libertarians in the past 10 years. They took Lenin's statement that capitalists will sell the rope used to hang them, not as a warning but seemingly as a guidebook. Their movement is a rump and clownish now compared from what it was in the 70s and 80s.

The third world wants revenge against the white world. No two ways about it. No amount of commerce and cultural exchange can paper over the gulf. I used to consider myself a libertarian, and believe in an "end of history" type of idealism, but I was proven wrong over time, and adjusted my beliefs. There will be a fight between the third world and the white world, and maybe we are in the midst of it already.

Clinging at this point to utopian, unrealizable values like limited government, peace through trade, free movement of people, and even decorum among public officials, without recognizing the massive threats looming on the horizon is a quick way to lose at politics. If I can mix metaphors, the camel's nose is in the tent, and the ostrich's head is in the sand.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:11 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,137,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Do all Republicans support trump?
Of course not! Republicans once used to be a perfectly sane party, and I hope they will be again some day.

The problem is that too many are cowed for fear of being tweeted to death. It will be interesting to see what happens if any Republican challenger appears for the 2020 election.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:13 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,509,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I would like to see him get primaried by Kasich or a libertarian-republican.

You have a legit point, but (1) some Republicans claim that we don't have true free trade with China and this will force them to agree to an arrangement that looks more like free trade and (2) parties change...from the creation of the GOP in the 1850s for at least 80 years they were the party of tariffs.

He is getting primaried by Bill Weld.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:20 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,012,999 times
Supporting or opposing Trump isn't a partisan issue.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:23 PM

30,135 posts, read 11,759,905 times
Quote:

About 90% do.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:30 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,150,612 times
It's OK. Trump won because many Democrats hated Hillary.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:33 PM

30,349 posts, read 19,122,995 times
Quote:
Trump was initally last of the Republicans I supported in 2016 but when he won the nomination, I joined up and he has far surpassed what I expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies