Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2019, 02:19 PM

346 posts, read 237,579 times

Advertisements

Obviously girls/women having body image issues is by no means new, but with social media and the like, do you think it's worse today than say 20-30 years ago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 10:18 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,564,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
Obviously girls/women having body image issues is by no means new, but with social media and the like, do you think it's worse today than say 20-30 years ago?

Social media is a huge drag on the psyche when it relates to body image issues with youths. Constant d*** measuring contests.

Old 07-26-2019, 10:56 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Plastic surgery is becoming a lot more common among young teens nowadays thanks to Instagram culture.

The beauty standard is something like this nowadays:

https://www.somalispot.com/attachmen...362-jpg.31720/

https://bossip.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/lemy-13.png

Old 07-27-2019, 07:12 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Same today as it was yesterday.
I still see five pounds of salami trying to squeeze into a into a one pound bag.
You can't fix ugly but got to give them credit for trying.
In the end it's all in the eye of the beholder.

Old 07-27-2019, 07:18 AM

6,260 posts, read 5,066,250 times
One of the best things parents can do for their kids (both genders of kids - or all 150 genders of kids depending your agenda) is to limit their social media exposure. Parenting isn't a Democracy. Kids will be pissed but too bad.

Old 07-27-2019, 07:23 AM

3,318 posts, read 2,335,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
Probably not, back then they had magazines and TV to compare themselves too. Same stuff, different label.

Old 07-27-2019, 07:50 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,875,030 times
I don't know. I can only speak for my own daughters. Beautiful, intelligent, independent and both are mid level managers working their way up. Their mom speaks multiple languages and was also a boss.

I have to say if some women have self esteem issues then that's on them.

I dont care what your gender is. If you you are dumb, you will be called on it. If you are fat, ugly or unclean you won't be as popular as attractive people who are in shape and clean.

The world is a tough place, learn to deal with it or be dealt with.

I can tell you this. My daughters don't depend on anyone to tell them that they are worthy.

Old 07-27-2019, 07:55 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
It’s not limited to girls/ women.

Check out the Intel “Chads”, who post images of themselves on social media seeking affirmation of their appearances and next planned round of plastic surgery.

https://www.thecut.com/2019/05/incel...c-surgery.html

Old 07-27-2019, 08:37 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,507,450 times
Yes. Women were always self conscious but it's worse now due to social media. People have also turned NASTY.

As an example from the past, the movie "10" came out in the 80's and girls were "rated" on attractiveness as a result. Sounds bad, right? Well, I remember in college in the early 80's the fraternities had members hanging out on their porches rating girls walking by. The difference compared to today? Most ALL the girls got 10's. 9's were about the lowest. So kinda funny that there were not all of these "misogynistic" complaints like there are today. (What's wrong with some of the young guys today? Do they not have any game at all?) LOL

It wasn't complained about as the guys weren't mean about it. That's why they got dates too. In fact a friend of mine was walking by and one of the guys was holding up a "10" card. She said "Oh, I am so not a 10 and need to lose weight and you know it". Guy replies, "You so ARE a 10 to me". He jumped down to talk to her and they ended up dating all through college. They are still married today. No cell phones or online dating were needed back then to get dates either as you can see.

Women had body image issues back then but there was more respect. People didn't waste time picking you apart as the internet didn't exist then. Many are becoming brain dead now by too much of it.

People can laugh but the 80's were such an innocent and fun time compared to today. You could be less than perfect and still have fun. I remember this song being played on the boom boxes on the porches and have to laugh. The gist of the song is that you don't have to have a body like a model to be noticed. No wonder the girls didn't complain. It was too funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QIw1BQIvT4

Old 07-27-2019, 08:53 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,655 times
In a sense, women/girls do because of the rise of social media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies