Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which party helps the homeless and poor the most?
Republicans 47 54.65%
Democrats 39 45.35%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 12:53 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The handouts go to the children because of parents that are too lazy to work or don't want to be responsible for them. Those so-called sins aren't imagined and as long as we keep feeding their kids they'll never take responsibility for them themselves.
And you think by withholding food from their children these parents will become responsible, eh?

What you will have will be a lot of children who will simply steal out of hunger.

Old 05-25-2019, 12:54 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,663,106 times
I'm not going to take the poll because the answer is quite obvious.

Poor in MA? Go to the best hospitals in the world and if you need 500K in surgery, you will get it. If you need help afterwards with a special car or house improvements, you will get them.

I know a poor person (anarchist, wouldn't you know?) in MA. who got 1M+ in free stuff for a horrible situation that happened to him.

In many other places you simply die young......

I think it can be safely said that:

SS
Medicare
Universal Health Care (some states)
Decrim of Pot and most drugs (no jail instantly)
Heavier spending on Social Services
and even Civil Rights (fair housing laws) are ALL beneficial to poor people and were/are passed and championed by the Left - i.e. - The Democratic Party.

This is fact...although I know lots of people need to make up alternative stories and history......and I've heard them all. So please don't repeat them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2019, 12:57 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,182,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And you think by withholding food from their children these parents will become responsible, eh?

What you will have will be a lot of children who will simply steal out of hunger.

Perhaps that is the wanted reaction since it would lead to locking them all up.

Old 05-25-2019, 12:59 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,195,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
Most homeless people have mental and addiction problems.

Most poor people are stuck in a vicious cycle which they will not escape if they don't have the avenues through which they can better themselves....which is affordable education, subsidized daycare, low cost housing, etc.

The reason the U.S has the largest poverty rate in the developed world is because these important essential services are not easily available and so the vicious cycle of poverty continues.

So giving tax cuts to the rich and de-regulations is not going to help their situations, despite what talk radio spoon feeds you every day.
is not every person in the US given the opportunity to get a free high school level education? And isn't there a high school in every county that can provide a vocational education (if not, let's do something about this).

As to subsidized daycare ... let's just say the top 2 ways to get out of poverty are:

1. don't have humans that you cannot afford to care for.
2. have enough skills to earn more than minimum wage.

Old 05-25-2019, 12:59 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,132,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
...which costs taxpayers far more money than it would've cost just to provide welfare for them.

Old 05-25-2019, 01:02 PM

2,868 posts, read 1,148,015 times
It's obvious.
We are now over the tipping point; more people are feeding from the government teet than are paying in.
Unsustainable.
And a part of the DNC plan, it would appear.
The takers will never bite the hand that feeds them.

Old 05-25-2019, 01:07 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,599,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I'm not going to take the poll because the answer is quite obvious.

Poor in MA? Go to the best hospitals in the world and if you need 500K in surgery, you will get it. If you need help afterwards with a special car or house improvements, you will get them.

I know a poor person (anarchist, wouldn't you know?) in MA. who got 1M+ in free stuff for a horrible situation that happened to him.

In many other places you simply die young......

I think it can be safely said that:

SS
Medicare
Universal Health Care (some states)
Decrim of Pot and most drugs (no jail instantly)
Heavier spending on Social Services
and even Civil Rights (fair housing laws) are ALL beneficial to poor people and were/are passed and championed by the Left - i.e. - The Democratic Party.

This is fact...although I know lots of people need to make up alternative stories and history......and I've heard them all. So please don't repeat them.
i always enjoy your posts..they usually contain more factual informative history than most...i myself don't have the patience to put up with the dozen or so posters who continuously post pro trump right wing non-sense...my belief is that if you don't have a worth of about 10 million dollars with stock market investment you have no business supporting the republican party...the stock market does not adequately represent our economy...cant tell a trunper that lol

Old 05-25-2019, 01:17 PM

2,529 posts, read 1,859,328 times
Nether. The Republican side only care about rich people or whatever is best for the businesses. Democrats on the hand are more about illegal aliens and abortion. All in all, Republicans do better on social issues but not so much on economic ones. Democrats are a bit better on economic stuff but don't do so well regarding social issues.

Old 05-25-2019, 01:19 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
...where we will have to feed them.

Old 05-25-2019, 02:03 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,721,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Neither.

The Republican way of 'helping' them is yanking away all the social safety nets and then watching them struggle and flounder.

The Democrats focus too much on bandaid solutions (giving food and subsidized housing) rather than long term solutions (promoting long term birth control, parenting classes, long distance public transit, conflict resolution training, stress management classes, money management classes, banking set up assistance, etc). And then they let illegals swarm in and use up much of all the already limited resources.
You have to meet the base-level needs before you can offer stress management classes and conflict resolution training. Telling someone who's hungry, "I can offer you a money management class," is not helpful. Once their basic needs are met, then yes, of course. Democrats are generally pro-birth control... that's why it's covered by health insurance. It's not the liberals who are clutching their pearls and gasping that women want to take the Pill and have it covered by their insurance companies. As for everything else, more long-term solutions are needed, but if someone is hungry and homeless and sick, all the conflict resolution training in the world isn't going to help. See Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies