Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 04:21 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
It could be sorta like stereos, VCR's and other stuff...how many of them do you want from my basement??? They all still work, even 40 years later.

I'll take them if they are specific models. If any of them are higher end models they will have value for video enthusiasts or even Joe Schmoe who has done his research on transferring VHS to digital. There is specific models that are sought out like JVC 9911's, that model has feature labeled DNR (not Dolby noise reduction for audio) that does a fantastic job of removing chroma noise. That's that rainbow effect you see on playback. It's just a step below professional deck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2019, 04:32 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,166 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Unlike cars and refrigerators, guns don't naturally deteriorate over the same time period. A well cared-for firearm will function after 60+ years as it did new.
Ammunition tends to deteriorate and technology can also change.

Whose to say, thjat they weon't have different weapons in the futuire such as lasers or totally bullet proof suits worn by the military or police.

Who knows, indeed the guns of today may seem as useless as the muskets and black powder weapons of the past.

Also what role will robots and machines play in the future, and will they be bullet proof.

Old 05-26-2019, 05:56 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,303,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
My two sons will be pleased as punch to receive the collection my husband and I have amassed from purchases plus the ones that will be left to us by both sets of grandparents. We don't sell firearms and we don't buy crap.
That's great that you have a collection to leave to your sons, and I hope that they will also have family happy to receive them as well some day.

My point, however, is that at some future point in the upcoming decades, there may be family who is just not interested in acquiring a firearms collection.

And if demand for pre-owned firearms were to ever become a fraction of what it is these days, families may find themselves parting with the guns for dimes on the dollar from what they cost new.

Old 05-26-2019, 06:46 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Owning a large collection of guns is the last refuge many of them have in maintaining an illusion of their manhood. Real men don't need such things to feel safe and secure in their own skins.
I just checked ..you're right, I have a lil wiener.... But I bet it'll go the other way..... My guns will be worth more down the road then when I got them...

Old 05-26-2019, 06:51 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,580,593 times
The Trump Presidency has hurt gun sales, but the Obama tenure was a great stimulator for gun sales. So, whatever happens in 2025 could have a yuge impact on gun sales. If the GOP holds the White House, gun demand will continue to decline, and prices will drop, and I know a couple of folks that will be buying as many as they can, along with the ammo.

Old 05-26-2019, 06:55 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,605,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I think you're making one error: The guns may seem unneeded to you or me, but they are crucial to the paranoid people who stockpile them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Owning a large collection of guns is the last refuge many of them have in maintaining an illusion of their manhood. Real men don't need such things to feel safe and secure in their own skins.
This is a moronic mindset.

Old 05-26-2019, 06:59 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
I harken back to when Europeans couldn't get the Gold Wings and Harleys we were glutted with over here so containers full of those were being shipped overseas.

I know that customs and excise inspections are plentiful but can foresee that perhaps down the road some countries like the south American ones might have citizens craving those firearms and some enterprising souls find a way to pay you cash for them and they get packed into a container to end up in Venezuela or some such place to then find their way into the hands of citizens fed up with the run of the mill dictatorship they've been subject to for eons.

One man's cast-offs, another man's treasure.

Old 05-26-2019, 07:02 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,965,100 times
agree...politics has been the #1 reason for the decrease or increase of guns/ammo sales for the last decade.

however, in 20-30 years?
my opinion:
1. gunpowder will be like bows/arrows. electronics will take over (like electronic cigarettes?).
2. rare and collectible guns will increase in value just like old and rare coins do.
3. unless, of course, something terrible (9/11?) does not happen.

Old 05-26-2019, 07:10 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,303,369 times
I have no doubt that rare and collectible firearms will command premiums typical of other collectibles of interest.

The other hundreds of millions of firearms, OTOH, could lose tremendous amounts of value over their purchase prices if demand should diminish. And the persons not seeing any gains will be those having little to no interest in firearms.

Old 05-26-2019, 07:17 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
I just checked ..you're right, I have a lil wiener.... But I bet it'll go the other way..... My guns will be worth more down the road then when I got them...
Good point. The M-1 for example. I bought 1 in dec of 1981 for next to nothing. Like $250 bucks and in excellent condition. Unfortunately during a moment of insanity I sold mine in 1989. $600. Now that rifle would fetch well over $1200.

I have a 30-40 Krag.. She's old and beautiful. The action smooth as silk. Military issue and in great shape. Before anyone asks, not for sale ever. It's already promised to my nephew.

Demand may slacken, but ownership won't. Most who grew up learning to shoot, hunt just love the tradition and the sport. They will do what our fathers did and pass it down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies