Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 01:39 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
Narrator: No one is offended.

And, just for the record, I always decolonize my garden so that the peas and carrots don't start a rumble with the cauliflower!

i hope you keep your tomatoes separate from everything, those guys are mean and will fight anyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Faux outrage?

My garden is fully integrated, my cilantro co-mingles with my potatoes. (I'm Mexican and DH is Irish )

hey cilantro and potatoes get along nicely, remember even mexicans use potatoes in their cooking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2019, 01:53 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,667,163 times
I hope she has not gone to a black neighborhood community garden.

She might have suggested that they grow collard greens, corn, okra and some watermelon and no cauliflower or anything that reeks of colonial influence.

Old 05-26-2019, 02:12 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,399 times
I heard she's planting pennies now. Once these money trees grow, y'all be sorry

Old 05-26-2019, 03:13 PM

14,228 posts, read 4,590,273 times
I have cauliflower ears (not the fruity vegetable thing) from decades of wrestling and grappling.

Hopefully, my cauliflower ears are not racists.

Old 05-26-2019, 05:28 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,753,748 times
Just don't mess with corn on the cob!

Old 05-26-2019, 05:32 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,668,250 times
God she's a dumb broad. Trying like hell to make something out of nothing.

Old 05-26-2019, 05:33 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,944,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Just don't mess with corn on the cob!
Sweet corn is safe... it has intersectionality with native American indians!

Old 05-26-2019, 07:05 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 17 hours ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
You guys are nuts. All she said was that communities and their gardens should be allowed to be culturally relevant to the people who live there, and that communities should be able to make their own choices. If you were growing a garden, wouldn't you want to decide for yourself what you want to grow? She did not say cauliflower was a racists veg.
Then again, that news stalk station linked in the OP has these on their lineup, and whose shows are most visibly featured on their front page.

Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Jeff Katz, Mark Levin, This Morning with Gordon Deal (dont know him, but the media company owning his show features no liberals in its own lineup), Clyde Lewis (UFO, Paranormal, Conspiracy), Coast to Coast with George Noory (ditto), Gary Hess (Sports Talk -- added only for the sake of completeness. Sports Talk has no relevance here).

So for the OP, at best (from the OP's point of view), there's more to the AOC caulifolwer claim than meets the eye. At worst, a distortion just short of outright falsehood.

Old 05-26-2019, 07:17 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Her point is why not grow stuff familiar to the people in the community? She used plantains and yucca vs cauliflower as examples.

She, like, many, don’t seem to understand not all food can be grown everywhere.

Plantains would not survive in NYC, nor in most regions of the US.

While yucca is indestructible, it dies back in the winter.

Cauliflower is an early cool season annual crop. For this reason, it is not grown in the Caribbean or Africa or PR and therefore may not be familiar to those who hail from these parts.

The more AOC talks, the more she sounds like Trump. Both are reality TV shows. Both say a lot of things that don’t make a lot of sense.

Both seek media attention and opportunities to throw red meat to their bases.
That'd be the same logic if you said "Hey why don't they grow oranges and lemons all year round in Chicago, they're racist" (((Because, Chicago weather is not suited for year round citrus growing))).

Old 05-26-2019, 08:46 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,676,653 times
Isn't the point of a community garden that neighbors plant and take care of it themselves? As such, aren't the neighbors deciding for themselves what they each want to plant in their own section of the garden? I didn't think these things had a "garden boss" who decided what everyone had to plant, which made AOC's entire commentary pointless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies