Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 08:09 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,187,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
It's working out great. Almost all of my paycheck comes from investors willing to bet on something new.

Thanks investors!
Is that so? And when investors aren’t feeling so generous, what do you usually do? Starve?

Lol...you folks are something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 08:09 PM

5,771 posts, read 3,220,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
It came from a joke Will Rogers made about feeding a horse and the birds eating what comes out the other end.

What you describe is the opposite of what normally happens. When a business saves money because of less taxes, we the people see it right away. During good times the business will use that "extra money" to expand and increase product. During down times it's used to save jobs as the cost of retraining is high. Research and Development stays as that is usually the first department cut.

If you looked at the article you would know that the CEO of Walmart makes more than two hundred million a year. While you are right about good times, we must have been working in different countries because the American work force is still below the size it was in 1999.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
How about you quit listening to the economists that continue to get things wrong. Listen to the ones who get it right.

Fox news is no substitute for a real education.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:10 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,250,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Is that so? And when investors aren’t feeling so generous, what do you usually do? Starve?

Lol...you folks are something else.
I get a new job.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:15 PM

5,771 posts, read 3,220,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I certainly feel like I'm being trickled on.

Not in a good way though

Interesting conclusion. The rich pee on us and if we are smart we tell our republican bosses that we like golden showers.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:16 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,957,396 times
As an employee you are like a piece of furniture. You get paid to be used and your pay depends on how useful you are. I never expected or wanted to be rich, I just wanted to be comfortable and I am. I remember one year about a decade before I retired the CEO awarded himself a $60 million bonus, and kept our annual raise package down to 2-1/2%. That's the way it is.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:24 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,605,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused View Post
There are several things that trickle down. Money is not one of them.
Really? Explain how so many early Microsoft workers became so wealthy.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:25 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,388,956 times
working pretty dam good for me, never made so much money before

Old 05-30-2019, 08:26 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,732,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
I have found a list of the best compensated Business Executives in America.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2...est-paid-ceos/

How is it working out for you?
Entirely depends on what you're talking about. If we're talking capitalism vs Communism on whatever level, then it's a pretty easy decision.

You can either:
a. Have a handful of ultra-rich, quite a few very rich people, a rather massive swath of fairly rich people, the vast majority of of people having moderate wealth, a pretty large chunk of people who are relatively poor and a small number of people who are very poor but who are subsidized by government programs anyways. Here in America, nobody is desperately poor or goes hungry unless they intentionally choose to.

b. Have a tiny handful of people living like kings. They will tell everyone what to do, how to think and micromanage ever aspect of people's lives. Disagree and they'll kill you. Everyone else - the vast vast majority - is desperately poor on a perfectly equal level, and everybody starves to death equally as well. None but the elites ever climbs to the level of wealth and prosperity of the very poorest in example a.

If you're asking how well wealth is trickling in my life? Fairly well actually. For reasons that naysayers can never quite explain, even the poorest among us have a standard of living that is vastly better than nations with economies that still haven't developed and matured. I'm doing better than average and I don't spend a lot of time obsessing about the fact that there are people much much much richer than me.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:28 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,561 posts, read 81,131,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
working pretty dam good for me, never made so much money before
Same here, though we would lol like more, we’re quite comfortable financially. Our CEO makes less than $400k, not that much more than the Executive staff.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:30 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,605,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Entirely depends on what you're talking about. If we're talking capitalism vs Communism on whatever level, then it's a pretty easy decision.

You can either:
a. Have a handful of ultra-rich, quite a few very rich people, a rather massive swath of fairly rich people, the vast majority of of people having moderate wealth, a pretty large chunk of people who are relatively poor and a small number of people who are very poor but who are subsidized by government programs anyways. Here in America, nobody is desperately poor or goes hungry unless they intentionally choose to.

b. Have a tiny handful of people living like kings. They will tell everyone what to do, how to think and micromanage ever aspect of people's lives. Disagree and they'll kill you. Everyone else - the vast vast majority - is desperately poor on a perfectly equal level, and everybody starves to death equally as well. None but the elites ever climbs to the level of wealth and prosperity of the very poorest in example a.

If you're asking how well wealth is trickling in my life? Fairly well actually. For reasons that naysayers can never quite explain, even the poorest among us have a standard of living that is vastly better than nations with economies that still haven't developed and matured. I'm doing better than average and I don't spend a lot of time obsessing about the fact that there are people much much much richer than me.
Many on the left would prefer most everyone live in abject poverty as long as they don't have to see a successful upper class every day.

They are the ones who would borrow a toy and brake it just to know someone else doesn't have a toy they can't get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies