Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 09:32 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Deaths from alcohol far exceed those from drug overdose!

Somehow this does not surprise me. FWIW, tobacco is even far more deadly than both of the aforementioned combined.
Diff is tobacco takes decades to kill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2019, 09:40 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Alcohol has been a long term problem for decades, while opioid abuse has really been a more recent acute problem.

Old 06-01-2019, 09:53 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleeGee View Post
These stats are supported in a book titled "Aint'Nobody's Business If You Do" by Peter McWilliams. The book is about how consensual crimes have become the way to fill the prisons and keep the machine oiled. Crimes of person and property, which are real crimes where there is injury (or worse) to people, and/or damage and destruction to property, are going unpunished because the people who commit these crimes are for the most part, wealthy. Consensual crimes are more often than not committed by poor people who can't run far or fast.
He says alcohol directly or indirectly is responsible for more emergency room admissions than all the ER admissions for all illegal drugs combined. Drunk driving is a serious offense. You have a 2,000 lb weapon at your disposal w/out the ability to operate it safely.
Thanks for the ^^^ info here. I'm going to look up the book you make reference to.

Old 06-01-2019, 09:55 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The cited article seems nebulous at best. It states "some studies have concluded that light drinking may have a protective effect against dementia" yet goes on to implicate moderate and heavy drinking as possible causes of dementia while failing to define exactly what it means by light, moderate, and heavy drinking. It also mentions heavy drinking often being associated with other behaviors detrimental to health such as smoking, so which is the real culprit? Or is it possible they're only a cause of dementia in combination? I'd like to see more explicitly defined behavior, light, moderate, or heavy have no real meaning by themselves.

Being that my Dad was afflicted with Alzheimer's I'm certainly interested in possible causes and prevention but I'd rather not see the liquid version of Reefer Madness with people clamoring for another round of Prohibition without better defined terms being in evidence.
Alzheimer’s has a significant genetic predisposition.

It runs deep in my family on my mother’s side, none of whom drank.

Hoping the genes on my father’s side offset it. He and his family trended serious alcoholic.

I generally avoid all recreational substances and don’t understand the concept of “ taking the edge off”.

I have worked with so called functional alcoholics most of my life. Sometimes, it was situational. Sometimes not. Have a good day- head out for cocktails. Have a bad day- head out for cocktails. Any reason will do.

Old 06-01-2019, 10:10 AM

Alcohol causes dementia and is believed to be a major contributor to dementia and may also lead to Alzheimer's.

Quote:
Dr. Douglas Feinstein, professor of anesthesiology at the University of Illinois at Chicago College of Medicine and lead study author, explained that the results of the study suggested that alcohol inhibits the ability of microglia to efficiently clear amyloid from the brain —which he believes may contribute to a higher risk for developing Alzheimer’s.
https://www.alzheimers.net/alcohol-and-alzheimers/

https://jneuroinflammation.biomedcen...974-018-1184-7

Old 06-01-2019, 12:57 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Why are we ignoring the deaths, medical and social issues caused by alcohol consumption when this causes far more problems than Opioids?

https://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/fact-sheets/alcohol-use.htm

https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/data/statedeaths.html
I don't think alcohol is being ignored. However:

1. alcohol is legal

2. alcohol has thousands of years of cultural acceptance

3. we tell people the effects of alcohol, but they ignore it

4. we cannot forcibly compel someone to enroll in an alcohol treatment program (unless compelled by a court order) or prescribe Antabuse without consent

Old 06-01-2019, 03:01 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,275 times
Quote:
Why are we ignoring the deaths, medical and social issues caused by alcohol consumption when this causes far more problems than Opioids?

https://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/fact-sheets/alcohol-use.htm

https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/data/statedeaths.html
This is why I've been saying to anyone who'll listen that we need to re-visit some form of alcohol prohibition:
Should we give alcohol prohibition another whirl, 100 years later?

It is a longstanding myth that prohibition didn't work. In many ways, it did.

Quote:
alcohol consumption declined dramatically during Prohibition. Cirrhosis death rates for men were 29.5 per 100,000 in 1911 and 10.7 in 1929. Admissions to state mental hospitals for alcoholic psychosis declined from 10.1 per 100,000 in 1919 to 4.7 in 1928.

Old 06-01-2019, 03:17 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleeGee View Post
These stats are supported in a book titled "Aint'Nobody's Business If You Do" by Peter McWilliams. The book is about how consensual crimes have become the way to fill the prisons and keep the machine oiled. Crimes of person and property, which are real crimes where there is injury (or worse) to people, and/or damage and destruction to property, are going unpunished because the people who commit these crimes are for the most part, wealthy. Consensual crimes are more often than not committed by poor people who can't run far or fast.
He says alcohol directly or indirectly is responsible for more emergency room admissions than all the ER admissions for all illegal drugs combined. Drunk driving is a serious offense. You have a 2,000 lb weapon at your disposal w/out the ability to operate it safely.
I seriously doubt these crimes are going unpunished, and it is outright false all these crimes are committed by the wealthy, it is absurd to even think that.

Old 06-01-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I don't think alcohol is being ignored. However:

1. alcohol is legal

2. alcohol has thousands of years of cultural acceptance

3. we tell people the effects of alcohol, but they ignore it

4. we cannot forcibly compel someone to enroll in an alcohol treatment program (unless compelled by a court order) or prescribe Antabuse without consent
I think more should be done to educate the public. All advertisement of any alcoholic beverage should be banned. In effect, alcohol should be treated like tobacco. I have seen commercials for beer, etc.. that clearly are targeting teens.

Old 06-01-2019, 03:37 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
I think more should be done to educate the public. All advertisement of any alcoholic beverage should be banned. In effect, alcohol should be treated like tobacco. I have seen commercials for beer, etc.. that clearly are targeting teens.
The same warnings for dope should exist as well. And anyone who uses any of this crap to the detriment of their health should abrogate their use of “free” health services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies