Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 11:48 PM

37,939 posts, read 17,769,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I’ll make this easy for you:

Let’s say that the overwhelming majority of homeless men were black, and someone asked you “hey PilgrimsProgress, why are most homeless men African Americans?”

What would your answer be?

Okay, THAT’S why most homeless men are white. The exact same reason.
To coin your own desertdetroiter speak, You don't get to speak for white people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 11:51 PM

37,939 posts, read 17,769,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
If not for white male privileged the number of of white male homeless would be much greater. Your question is akin to people asking that if there is racism, why have some blacks become successful. Well, who said that those blacks who are successful would not have been even more successful, if not for racism?

Your fallacy is the "all or nothing" assumption, which ignores the spectrum in between extremes.
There is no such thing as white privilege. That's just your racism showing through. Where's the Asian privilege? Your answer is akin to asking what would happen to the unicorns if they weren't protected.

It's not a privilege to be raised by 2 parents.

Old 06-06-2019, 12:27 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,801,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You offer no source so we are left to assume that you are just talking total numbers instead of adjusting for population ratios and thus the thread premise is DOA.

Do percentages and ratios mean more to you than actual numbers? Regardless, there should be far fewer homeless in the US than there are. Ourr government spends money on so many useless projects that we don't even know about. Why can't a prtion of that money go towards getting homeless off the streets? Put them in asylums if they are mentally unstable. Rehab for the drunks and drug addicts. I'd prefer them to be taken care of rather than ignored.

Old 06-06-2019, 01:05 AM

1,631 posts, read 1,085,113 times
There's certainly a subset of old money whites that send their kids to private boarding schools, and give them the instruction they need to get into ivy league schools (or if that fails make huge donations to get their kid in), and then set them up with awesome jobs after graduation. Think the Kennedy's, Trumps etc. These people are the ruling class of society and won't let up that power easily. They get elite jobs as CEOs, politicians, and high positions in the entertainment business etc.

For the majority of whites many may be at a disadvantage. College admissions and jobs create quotas to have minorities represented "fairly". Special scholarships exist for minorities but not for whites.

Women, particularly if they have kids have a much easier time accessing the government and private safety nets (just ask my formerly homeless white friend who was told as a male with no kids no city shelters would be available to him). There is a significant advantage for women in divorce court as well, which is likely why nearly 3/4ths of divorces are intimated by women.

So while men may make slightly more money at work, if they fall on hard times they may be SOL. White culture is also very independent and there is a stigma against living with family members.

Old 06-06-2019, 02:41 AM

17,664 posts, read 13,516,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
To coin your own desertdetroiter speak, You don't get to speak for white people.
LOL, DD didn't speak for any white person. He asked a white person a question........................and the question cleverly pointed out that even homeless white people get "white privilege". LOL.

Old 06-06-2019, 03:25 AM

29,184 posts, read 22,220,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I don't know why I never thought of that before, yet it's obvious. Could that be why the problem has been ignored?
That's a good question. Is it because there are more white people than minorities, or is it that the white people are less prepared for failure when it comes than the minorities?

Could it be that some white people's expectations of continual life success over-reached their grasp?

Or is it because some white people are lazier than the minorities?

Lots of speculative answers that are all questions to a question. I don't know what the reasons are, but I think they may be multiple and not entirely associated to race alone.

Old 06-06-2019, 03:35 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,259,034 times
Because the flip side of privilege is expectation.

Old 06-06-2019, 05:10 AM

57,022 posts, read 35,063,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
That’s what YOU say all the time. I’ve never said anything that even sounds like that.

You kinda suck at drawing analogies. Lol

The issue you have with my post is that it stung.

Old 06-06-2019, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
LOL, DD didn't speak for any white person. He asked a white person a question........................and the question cleverly pointed out that even homeless white people get "white privilege". LOL.
Bingo. That threw ‘em for a loop. They were looking for some ridiculous, discursive analysis as if homeless white men are somehow more justified and noble in their homelessness.

Nah...they’re homeless for the same damn reasons as everyone else.

Old 06-06-2019, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
That's a good question. Is it because there are more white people than minorities, or is it that the white people are less prepared for failure when it comes than the minorities?

Could it be that some white people's expectations of continual life success over-reached their grasp?

Or is it because some white people are lazier than the minorities?

Lots of speculative answers that are all questions to a question. I don't know what the reasons are, but I think they may be multiple and not entirely associated to race alone.
See, those aren’t the answers the OP wanted. Anything but those answers are acceptable.

He thinks the answers are more complex than that. They aren’t.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies