Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 01:50 PM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times

Advertisements

those who think removing "hate" speech on social media is great must forget 'the worm will turn'.

when corporations decide what is socially acceptable, corporations can change the rules at any time. those happy about this censorship naively think they won't be personally affected. on the contrary.... it is just a matter of time.

what if the health clinic where you take your child finds your posts on social media that the corporation considers "hate speech" and management decides to stop providing health care for your family?

what if your bank decides the business you work for or your own business is politically undesirable and refuses to provide you banking services?

Last edited by texan2yankee; 06-05-2019 at 02:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 01:56 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
YouTube announced plans on Wednesday to remove thousands of videos and channels that advocate for neo-Nazism, white supremacy and other bigoted ideologies in an attempt to clean up extremism and hate speech on the service. What about freedom of speech? Because YouTube is a private corporation, these videos are not protected under the First Amendment, so they can pull any videos they want. I support the right for people to be racists and bigots if they so insist upon it. But if a private entity pulls material like this, is it considered censorship?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/05/b...=breaking-news
Privately-owned. Freedom of speech does not apply.

Don't like it? Pursue the venture capital and talent necessary to start your own. I am sure sponsors will be delighted to pay for ads and clicks.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 06-05-2019 at 02:10 PM..

Old 06-05-2019, 01:59 PM

5,102 posts, read 2,047,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
This all started due to Carlos Maza of Vox complaining and wanting YouTube to deplatform Steven Crowder who is a libertarian comedian political pendant. The problem is that context matter when using speech which also includes jokes and being poetic while not being hateful to an individual or groups of people. Carlos Maza wanted voiced his opinion on twitter, and wanted YouTube to shutdown Steven Crowder. Problem is that Steven Crowder did not violate Youtube's TOS. Even though Crowder did not violate YouTube TOS, Maza wanted YouTube to deplatform him. Due to all of this, YouTube is now going stu to clampdown on not only white supremacy stuff, but against anything that is seemed hateful. I say this as a person who is not a fan of Crowder, and Maza is a decent writer. Anyway, youtube has the right to censorship, but once you silence one, and demanding the silence of one, you silence all people, and you also silence yourself. Federal Government needs to look into Google and Facebook in their practice of monopolization of the internet space.
I don't want to imagine how Carlos Maza will look when he'll be 50 years old......

Btw, will he complain about the various ISIS beheading videos?

And, how's the chances then the banned Youtube videos might create a big Streisand effect?

Edit: The way Carlos Meza complained, he might had created the unintended consequence of folks believing then Carlos Maza is the bully and not Steven Crowder.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfM3rekvUIs

Old 06-05-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
How does YouTube decide what to pull? What is "hate speech?" What is an "extreme view?" How exactly is that defined? This is a really bad idea.
They do not owe you a response.

BTW, how much is your YouTube monthly bill?

Old 06-05-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
I know, right? The New York Times has won 127 Pulitzer Prizes for all those lies they're constantly publishing And since you aren't convinced, here's confirmation of this "lie" from The Verge. Besides Waldo, I would think you'd really want to believe this since it makes conservatives out to be victims.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/5/18...rms-of-service
For crying out loud, the NYT broke the Hillary email scandal.

Old 06-05-2019, 02:04 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.R.I.O.N View Post
Just asking for a lawsuit...hope someone sues and they win. Tired of this censorship.
Should YouTube be forced to allow videos with full nudity? Or do they have the right not to show them? Asking for a friend

Old 06-05-2019, 02:06 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrw-500 View Post
I don't want to imagine how Carlos Maza will look when he'll be 50 years old......

Btw, will he complain about the various ISIS beheading videos?

And, how's the chances then the banned Youtube videos might create a big Streisand effect?

Edit: The way Carlos Meza complained, he might had created the unintended consequence of folks believing then Carlos Maza is the bully and not Steven Crowder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfM3rekvUIs
I saw the video. I agree with Tim Pool. As for the sequences caused by Carlos Maza? Plenty of youtube creators will loose their monetization, or have their channels deleted. Carlos Maza, Vox and NBC forced youtube to change ban people for what they say on youtube.

Old 06-05-2019, 02:07 PM

2,923 posts, read 977,125 times
I don't think its a good look because it won't be enforced fairly but they can do what they want. I don't go to youtube for anyones political views.

Old 06-05-2019, 02:07 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
"Today, we're taking another step in our hate speech policy specifically prohibiting videos alleging that a group is superior in order to justify discrimination, segregation or exclusion based on qualities like age, gender, race, caste, religion, sexual orientation or veteran status. This would include, for example, videos that promote or glorify Nazi ideology, which is inherently discriminatory. Finally, we will remove content denying that well-documented violent events, like the Holocaust or the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary, took place."

More:

https://youtube.googleblog.com/2019/...ckle-hate.html
Are they going to take down videos about things not well documented like bigfoot or aliens?

Old 06-05-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
Wow, Big Brother and 1984 is coming to fruition...

We are basically no different now from the old Soviet Union

Whatever happened to FREE SPEECH and the 1st Amendment in America?

As for the canard that Google is a "private" company, considering how much money they receive from the government and how much they are working hand in hand with various Federal agencies...sorry, but that just doesn't fly.

Google and other social media entities (Twitter, Facebook, etc.) are the new "digital townhall".
Free Speech does not apply.

Get your acts together, create a business plan, obtain venture capital and hire talent to compete.
I am sure sponsors will be delighted to pay you for ads and clicks.

Don't charge users a dime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media