Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 02:45 PM

45,396 posts, read 26,983,057 times

Advertisements

... and the outcome is better.

Black Students in Charter Schools Are More Likely to Have Black Teachers

The findings show that traditional public schools and charter schools serve the same proportion of black students, but charter schools have about 35 percent more black teachers. Black students in charter schools are more than 50 percent more likely to have at least one black teacher than their counterparts in traditional public schools, while white students are equally likely to have at least white teacher in both types of schools.

A growing body of research has found that black students benefit from having black teachers, both academically and socially. Black elementary students performed better in math and reading when they had a teacher who was the same race as them, according to one recent study. Another set of studies found that black students are more likely to both graduate from high school and enroll in college when they have just one black teacher in elementary school.

And black students are more likely to be placed in gifted education programs if they have a black teacher, and less likely to receive suspensions, expulsions, or detentions from black teachers. Research has found that black teachers have higher expectations for black students—and white teachers' lower expectations for black students can become self-fulfilling prophecies.

I think the environment in general in charter schools lends itself to better results, but the underlined is absolutely true. We see value in ourselves more than other races see in us. It makes total sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 03:24 PM

7,795 posts, read 6,366,001 times
Probably less likely to be hostile to the black teachers as well.

Old 06-06-2019, 03:52 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,388,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
... and the outcome is better.

Black Students in Charter Schools Are More Likely to Have Black Teachers

The findings show that traditional public schools and charter schools serve the same proportion of black students, but charter schools have about 35 percent more black teachers. Black students in charter schools are more than 50 percent more likely to have at least one black teacher than their counterparts in traditional public schools, while white students are equally likely to have at least white teacher in both types of schools.

A growing body of research has found that black students benefit from having black teachers, both academically and socially. Black elementary students performed better in math and reading when they had a teacher who was the same race as them, according to one recent study. Another set of studies found that black students are more likely to both graduate from high school and enroll in college when they have just one black teacher in elementary school.

And black students are more likely to be placed in gifted education programs if they have a black teacher, and less likely to receive suspensions, expulsions, or detentions from black teachers. Research has found that black teachers have higher expectations for black students—and white teachers' lower expectations for black students can become self-fulfilling prophecies.

I think the environment in general in charter schools lends itself to better results, but the underlined is absolutely true. We see value in ourselves more than other races see in us. It makes total sense.
By this logic, one would think that White students tend to do better with White teachers and that Black teachers have lower expectations for White students.

Old 06-06-2019, 04:04 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,176,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
By this logic, one would think that White students tend to do better with White teachers and that Black teachers have lower expectations for White students.

Could very well be true.

It's been long coming, but at long last it is time to accept that in most cases people are naturally better off with those like themselves, especially when equality in opportunity, individualism, and the ongoing effort to create a well-functioning, safe, and successful environment are applied.

Old 06-06-2019, 05:04 PM

45,396 posts, read 26,983,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Well, it's not logic... it's just what is.

I don't think it's as much the case for whites, since they have been in the majority.

Look at our voting patterns... much more monolithic on the black side of the aisle than the white side.

And probably because of our history, we were more inclined to stick together. I just think it's not the same for white people.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:23 PM

56,989 posts, read 35,116,741 times
My son is a black charter high school teacher.

I really don’t know why that’s so important though. All kids need GOOD teachers, not black teachers.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:36 PM

12,335 posts, read 8,068,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

I really don’t know why that’s so important though. All kids need GOOD teachers, not black teachers.
The role model theory. I went through LAUSD under it. In my last year, 1979, they decided to integrate the teaching staffs and move black teachers around Los Angeles where as before they were prioritized to South Central LA where the black kids who were not bused out went to school. Without the draft deferments for teachers in earlier years black male role models in particular were getting more scare for black students.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:42 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,540,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

Have you not informed him that charter schools are evil?

Old 06-06-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Have you not informed him that charter schools are evil?
*SIGH*

Go smoke a brisket or something. I mean, what’s your point here?

Old 06-06-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The role model theory. I went through LAUSD under it. In my last year, 1979, they decided to integrate the teaching staffs and move black teachers around Los Angeles where as before they were prioritized to South Central LA where the black kids who were not bused out went to school. Without the draft deferments for teachers in earlier years black male role models in particular were getting more scare for black students.
If teachers were abundant, maybe we’d have that luxury. But they aren’t, so we should first prioritize competency and put race to the side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies