U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 09:46 AM

6,995 posts, read 4,959,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

We need another generation like that.
Such disrespect you have for our current military. You're free to feel however you want, but I think it's in bad taste to post publicly that you don't respect our military veterans. I know a LOT of Gulf War Veterans (and may Vietnam, and other conflicts and peacetime), and they are every bit as inspiring, and made every bit as much sacrifice.

Honestly, this is really offensive to those who have served in the past 5+ decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 10:42 AM

22,506 posts, read 11,587,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"had the luxury of being called to serve a noble cause.

I would NOT call the 418,500 who DIED and their suffering families in WWII, "had a luxury"!
The point is they fought for what is almost universally recognized as a noble cause unlike our soldiers today. The greatest generation gets that name solely due to the recognition they were fighting for a noble cause.

Last edited by whogo; 06-07-2019 at 11:31 AM..

Old 06-07-2019, 11:31 AM

50,561 posts, read 26,698,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I just watched the President's Normandy speech. Very moving to see men who were last there under very different, harrowing circumstances and hear Trump describe their brave deeds. A few of them look damned good. Trump's warmth and respect for them was evident.

I didn't know that there is a French family for each of the American graves. They live all over France and come to place flowers. I had been tearing up off and on through the speech as had many in the audience, but when I heard about tending the graves I lost it and starting bawling my eyes out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z03fEFZ7-gs
One of Trump’s finer moments. Good speech.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Agree but I don't think there are nearly as many men who have the ability to stand up.

Similar cause is what people did in New York during 9/11.
There are actually MORE men & women than ever that have the noblesse oblige to take up the call to be brave. They’re just waiting for the opportunity. They want to be asked to spring into action. But the cause has to be just.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"had the luxury of being called to serve a noble cause.

I would NOT call the 418,500 who DIED and 671,278 wounded and the their suffering families in WWII, "had a luxury"!
You’re being remarkably picayune.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The point is they fault for what is almost universally recognized as a noble cause unlike our soldiers today. The greatest generation gets that name solely due to the recognition they were fighting for a noble cause.
Lol...that poster just doesn’t understand English too well.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:17 PM

66,459 posts, read 33,773,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Such disrespect you have for our current military. You're free to feel however you want, but I think it's in bad taste to post publicly that you don't respect our military veterans. I know a LOT of Gulf War Veterans (and may Vietnam, and other conflicts and peacetime), and they are every bit as inspiring, and made every bit as much sacrifice.

Honestly, this is really offensive to those who have served in the past 5+ decades.

1-1/2 years, in two theaters, with declared WAR.... Your buddies ain't got crap on those `ol timers
compared to:
Korea: 3 years, but actually Trump just signed the peace deal
Vietnam: lasted 19-1/2 years
Afghanistan: 18 years

Yes, the Greatest "kick ass & take names" Generation.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:19 PM

21,495 posts, read 11,595,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I disagree. We have PLENTY of Americans like that.

The Greatest Generation had the luxury of being called to serve a noble cause. We’ve had no noble causes since then. Everything since WW2 that we’ve called on young people to undertake have been disasters of our own making.

We sent young Americans to go save the world in 1941. Nowadays, we ask them to save American monied interests worldwide, and then have the nerve to be upset at their cynicism.

If the cause is just, another “Great Generation” will heed the call just like their great great grandparents did, and they’ll do fine. And if the Americans left back home are asked to sacrifice our comforts to pitch in, they’ll do it. But you’ve gotta ask.
My Dad was a WWII veteran and would have agreed with you. He had nothing but respect for today’s soldiers. He said in his time they would have had 5000 men to do the job the Marine Corp expects 200 to do now.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:20 PM

9,763 posts, read 6,723,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I disagree. We have PLENTY of Americans like that.

The Greatest Generation had the luxury of being called to serve a noble cause. We’ve had no noble causes since then. Everything since WW2 that we’ve called on young people to undertake have been disasters of our own making.

We sent young Americans to go save the world in 1941. Nowadays, we ask them to save American monied interests worldwide, and then have the nerve to be upset at their cynicism.

If the cause is just, another “Great Generation” will heed the call just like their great great grandparents did, and they’ll do fine. And if the Americans left back home are asked to sacrifice our comforts to pitch in, they’ll do it. But you’ve gotta ask.
Hmm, the people from the greatest generation never whine or complained. Every new generations whines more than the previous. Gen Z kids are are incredibly sissy and weak.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:22 PM

16,797 posts, read 14,536,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
Those guys look great. Hard men who kept the innocent safe while they slept. We take them for granted, moreso now than ever.
Just men?

Old 06-07-2019, 09:30 PM

20,673 posts, read 8,814,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Mueller and McStain have ruined their own reputations because of their corruption. More will be coming out soon about their connection to the Clinton Foundation Uranium One scandal now that US Atty Huber has wrapped up his investigation.
Trump can’t hold a candle to McCain. This is why he constantly insults him even in death. What president does this. Crazy.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:46 PM

66,459 posts, read 33,773,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Trump can’t hold a candle to McCain. This is why he constantly insults him even in death. What president does this. Crazy.
Ya. Good `ol "Wet Start" McCain. he was such an asset to those that served around the Admiral's spoiled kid.

Old 06-08-2019, 01:56 AM

50,561 posts, read 26,698,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Hmm, the people from the greatest generation never whine or complained. Every new generations whines more than the previous. Gen Z kids are are incredibly sissy and weak.
That’s bunk. They whined aplenty, and a bunch of them were bigoted a-holes that liberated people all over the world while coming back home to the USA to kick around minorities.

My grandfather spent a huge portion of his time in the Navy getting in fights (and whipping their asses) with his white naval and Marine colleagues who thought it was okay to pick on and belittle black sailors. Especially the idiot sailors that hailed from the Jim Crow South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or