Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 03:22 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times

Advertisements

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1136411124570644480

We need another generation like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 10:09 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
I disagree. We have PLENTY of Americans like that.

The Greatest Generation had the luxury of being called to serve a noble cause. We’ve had no noble causes since then. Everything since WW2 that we’ve called on young people to undertake have been disasters of our own making.

We sent young Americans to go save the world in 1941. Nowadays, we ask them to save American monied interests worldwide, and then have the nerve to be upset at their cynicism.

If the cause is just, another “Great Generation” will heed the call just like their great great grandparents did, and they’ll do fine. And if the Americans left back home are asked to sacrifice our comforts to pitch in, they’ll do it. But you’ve gotta ask.

Old 06-06-2019, 10:17 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Mueller and McCain are / were like that, and the conservative patriotism whores don't hesitate to crap all over their combat experiences when it suits their agenda. Tells you how much they really care about ideals of patriotism and service when it comes down to it.

Old 06-06-2019, 10:24 PM

2,448 posts, read 893,900 times
Those guys look great. Hard men who kept the innocent safe while they slept. We take them for granted, moreso now than ever.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:24 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
I realize they will forever be known as the greatest generation...but its important to keep in mind, when their war was over and done with (WW2) and the younger soldiers were doing their duty in Vietnam, alot of these from the 'greatest generation' did not have much respect for the soldiers fighting 'THAT war' (Vietnam).

It took many years for them to do a 180 on their opinions too! Seems like many of them felt like Vietnam was not a 'real war', so they didnt have much respect for the younger soldiers fighting it. I think this was probably one of major culprits of so many veitnam vets getting into dark places when they got back home, no one liked or respected them, even guys who were former soldiers!! That had to be tough to deal with.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:51 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Mueller and McCain are / were like that, and the conservative patriotism whores don't hesitate to crap all over their combat experiences when it suits their agenda. Tells you how much they really care about ideals of patriotism and service when it comes down to it.
McCain did this country a great service in Vietnam, which I thank him for. But he disgraced himself in the end with his efforts to take down a duly elected president and for hanging onto his senate seat even when he knew he would no longer be able to return to the senate, thereby leaving Arizona without full congressional representation. In the end, he put selfishness over country. Nothing to be proud of.

Old 06-07-2019, 12:08 AM

3,838 posts, read 1,787,299 times
Incredible, and he is 97 years old.

Thanks bentbow for sharing!

Last edited by Wintergirl80; 06-07-2019 at 12:31 AM..

Old 06-07-2019, 12:18 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Mueller and McStain have ruined their own reputations because of their corruption. More will be coming out soon about their connection to the Clinton Foundation Uranium One scandal now that US Atty Huber has wrapped up his investigation.

Old 06-07-2019, 12:26 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
I just watched the President's Normandy speech. Very moving to see men who were last there under very different, harrowing circumstances and hear Trump describe their brave deeds. A few of them look damned good. Trump's warmth and respect for them was evident.

I didn't know that there is a French family for each of the American graves. They live all over France and come to place flowers. I had been tearing up off and on through the speech as had many in the audience, but when I heard about tending the graves I lost it and starting bawling my eyes out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z03fEFZ7-gs

Old 06-07-2019, 12:28 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I disagree. We have PLENTY of Americans like that.

The Greatest Generation had the luxury of being called to serve a noble cause. We’ve had no noble causes since then. Everything since WW2 that we’ve called on young people to undertake have been disasters of our own making.

We sent young Americans to go save the world in 1941. Nowadays, we ask them to save American monied interests worldwide, and then have the nerve to be upset at their cynicism.

If the cause is just, another “Great Generation” will heed the call just like their great great grandparents did, and they’ll do fine. And if the Americans left back home are asked to sacrifice our comforts to pitch in, they’ll do it. But you’ve gotta ask.
Agree but I don't think there are nearly as many men who have the ability to stand up.

Similar cause is what people did in New York during 9/11.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies