Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 08:02 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,161,666 times

Advertisements

OP:

Rural and small town PA has been going down the tubes for 40-50 years or more. It didn’t start with Trump.

It’s one of the reasons Trump was elected. Probably the main reason: he got just enough blue collar workers (traditional New Deal Democrats) from PA to turn the state red.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 10:44 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
There are a million more jobs available in our country than there are people to fill them. That leads to rising wages as employers need to woo away people already working.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:37 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
There are a million more jobs available in our country than there are people to fill them. That leads to rising wages as employers need to woo away people already working.
But rural American is still dying out. The majority of counties in Oklahoma have been losing population since 2010. Yet, people there will surely vote for Trump in droves in 2020. So I don't think Trump needs to worry about getting votes from rural America. But he will have to work hard again in the dozen or so battleground states.

Old 06-07-2019, 12:05 PM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
Very sad what happened to Pennsylvania House Furniture Company. Colonial Furniture of Freeburg, PA makes furniture that comes close to PH quality, but sadly, the owner wants to retire and unless a buyer is found, say goodbye to another legacy PA manufacturing company. For full story of PH, see link.

https://www.ebohemians.com/pennsylva...use-furniture/

Old 06-07-2019, 01:32 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
https://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/...iba-story.html

Shown live on my local channel.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:34 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
Why should the employer guarantee pensions? Employers should educate people on how to invest money in a bank, that way they won't go bankrupt down the road and cost communities jobs, and people have the ability to invest for retirement or don't and live for the moment.
Because people work for those pensions. They are part of the reimbursement for their labor.

Do you imagine that employers give out pensions out of the goodness of their hearts?

Get real.

As to investing money in a bank. Can't keep even keep up with inflation at that rate.

As to investing their retirement savings in the stock market -- talk about a scam. Our retirement savings were invested cautiously, diversified, some in conservative money market funds, etc. We lost a third of of retirement savings as a result of the last scam the 1%ers pulled on us.

Wall Street bundled and passed around worthless mortgages like they were blue chip stocks. When it all fell apart, guess who picked up the tab?

Encouraging people to invest their retirement savings so that the wealthy could rob them every so often is despicable. Shame on you.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:37 PM

16,590 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Not MAGA.
To prove this is not just another effort at a partisan hit job, please link some of the threads you started during Obama's 8 years pointing out where tons of these type of jobs were lost.

`

Old 06-07-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But rural American is still dying out. The majority of counties in Oklahoma have been losing population since 2010. Yet, people there will surely vote for Trump in droves in 2020. So I don't think Trump needs to worry about getting votes from rural America. But he will have to work hard again in the dozen or so battleground states.
I lived in Oklahoma for several years.

No offense to you, of course, but they were some of the dumbest people I ever met in my life.

When I read that some Oklahoma school districts were cutting our school one day a week because of budget problems, my heart sank. If there was ever a group of people who needed all the education they could get, ...

Manufacturing jobs increasingly require sophisticated technical skills, people who can operate and trouble shoot automated equipment with computers.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
To prove this is not just another effort at a partisan hit job, please link some of the threads you started during Obama's 8 years pointing out where tons of these type of jobs were lost.

`
Sweet Jesus.

The truth is not a "partisan hit job."

Obama did not run on, nor did he promise to bring back coal mining, manufacturing, etc. Your guy did. So where are those jobs?

If you can handle a bit of truth without getting all flustered, look up "Reshoring Initiative." Got underway in 2010 and has brought back thousands of manufacturing jobs.

Old 06-07-2019, 03:31 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,175,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
We can thank the opening up of China to manufacturing for the exodus of manufacturing jobs. This predates Trump and even Obama and Bush 43 and goes back to Clinton although the groundwork was being laid by Bush 41. And we have none other to thank than Al Gore who personally gave China the green light with granting them most favored nation trade status. How he still masquerades as an environmentalist is beyond me.
We're still seeing outsourcing of jobs. Silicon valley has legions of foreign nationals that replaced Americans due to their working for less. And now robots are getting poised to replace workers. If this trade war with China makes their goods more expensive and helps americans compete again, then maybe Mr. Trump is right in trying to undo decades of economic mismanagement by both parties.
Part of Allenwood most certainly is a country club federal prison, it just depends on what you did and who your connections are. That Ohio congressman James Trafficant got sent there.
We opened up China before Clinton. I was working closely with the Chinese back in the early to mid 80's. I actually left the company (ITT) as we were transferring technology I didn't believe that should have access to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies