U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 05:31 PM

15,043 posts, read 3,983,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
We all know this is an anti trump post.

Unfortunately for op it throws shade at Clinton, bush and Obama.
Isn't this the Political forum? Did I post in the wrong place?

This stuff would have happened no matter who got elected.....BUT, the political angles...

1. Liberals would be MUCH more likely to pass more universal health insurance and guarantees. In this case since it was a private business, they can cut health care off instantly.
Aslo, Dems have a record of protecting workers from stuff like the IRA situation.

2. Trump's BIG PROMISE was to EXACTLY this type of person and company and area. I mean.....he's busy transferring nuclear tech to the Saudis because it's big money. His mouth moves billions each second...or I should say his tweets do.
Why wouldn't me be a White Knight and at least help with the IRA and perhaps guarantee some loans until some auditors could go in and say whether or not a profitable business could be continued?

Even if it was cut down to 500 employees it would be a big win.

The company is owned by a local family that everyone knows. They know everything about the owners...as this guy was able to tell me where all the houses the guy owns are (Florida, a multi-million nearby on the golf course, one in new england).....

Interesting that the day after I talked to this guy the report came out showing revisions of LOW job growth...I think I heard only 4,000 construction jobs. That a is a total joke considering it is spring season and all the bottled up demand should have meant 10's of thousands of new construction jobs.

And wood-mode is construction...I guess!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 06:17 PM

10,128 posts, read 12,373,396 times
Quote:
We all know this is an anti trump post.

Unfortunately for op it throws shade at Clinton, bush and Obama.
i like the anti-Trump posts because they're pretty comical. They keep me entertained.

Old 06-07-2019, 06:27 PM

3,737 posts, read 1,800,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

This stuff would have happened no matter who got elected.....BUT, the political angles...

1. Liberals would be MUCH more likely to pass more universal health insurance and guarantees. In this case since it was a private business, they can cut health care off instantly.
Aslo, Dems have a record of protecting workers from stuff like the IRA situation.

2. Trump's BIG PROMISE was to EXACTLY this type of person and company and area. I mean.....he's busy transferring nuclear tech to the Saudis because it's big money. His mouth moves billions each second...or I should say his tweets do.
Why wouldn't me be a White Knight and at least help with the IRA and perhaps guarantee some loans until some auditors could go in and say whether or not a profitable business could be continued?

The company is owned by a local family that everyone knows. They know everything about the owners...as this guy was able to tell me where all the houses the guy owns are (Florida, a multi-million nearby on the golf course, one in new england).....

Interesting that the day after I talked to this guy the report came out showing revisions of LOW job growth...I think I heard only 4,000 construction jobs. That a is a total joke considering it is spring season and all the bottled up demand should have meant 10's of thousands of new construction jobs.

And there's the post you really wanted to make. Why not just say it outright instead of masquerading as someone who cares about Americans when in reality...you just hate Trump.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:08 PM

15,043 posts, read 3,983,077 times
Quote:
And there's the post you really wanted to make. Why not just say it outright instead of masquerading as someone who cares about Americans when in reality...you just hate Trump.
No, I posted a 20 minutes convo I had which I thought was interesting to many - because it happened a few hours before I posted it...and it touched on many things we discuss here.

Is there a problem you have with the stories of the REAL workers and factories told accurately.

My initial post left plenty of room for others to make their own take on it...simply reported what the situation was and made it clear that some parts of it went on since 2004 or so (in this case...we all know it started before that)......

But you then pointed the finger and so I told you potential political angles.

It sounds like you prefer someone who just finds news stories and then gives their tainted slant - to someone who talks details with a resident and employee and posts what is said..

If that's the case you are in the the place (C-D), but reading the wrong person (me). I feel for the people on the ground...actually...really. I don't just talk about it like Trump cultists....trying to get votes or proving how much we are "winning".....

It's pretty dang obvious we ain't winning when the Fed has to reverse their policy 100% from their intentions..and one IS a Trump deal. The results of what he is sowing.

Rates should be going up...not down, but they have to give money away in the hopes that it will create consumption and debt.

Old 06-08-2019, 05:44 AM

36,833 posts, read 16,072,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Sweet Jesus.

The truth is not a "partisan hit job."

Obama did not run on, nor did he promise to bring back coal mining, manufacturing, etc. Your guy did. So where are those jobs?

If you can handle a bit of truth without getting all flustered, look up "Reshoring Initiative." Got underway in 2010 and has brought back thousands of manufacturing jobs.

“If I don’t have this done in three years, then there’s going to be a one-term proposition.”

"But the words haunt Obama because they were a reminder of how profoundly he and his economic team misunderstood the long-term nature of the crisis that confronted them upon taking office."

"Christina Romer, then the West Wing’s economist, forecast in January 2009 that the unemployment rate would be around 5.5 percent by the third quarter of 2012 if a large stimulus package passed. It is currently 8.1 percent. Former budget director Peter Orszag explained after leaving office that economic models led the administration to expect that the economy would look like a “V” — a steep decline followed by a steep rebound — and instead it was more like an “L,” a sharp drop followed by a long period of flat growth."

http://www.city-data.com/forum/newre...ply&p=55370995

"Your guy did. So where are those jobs?

"U.S. enjoys best manufacturing jobs growth of the last 30 years"

"The 32,000 positions added in December"

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ma...ago-2019-01-04

Old 06-08-2019, 05:52 AM

36,833 posts, read 16,072,760 times
Quote:

"Isn't this the Political forum?"

NO, it is the Politics and OTHER Controversies forum.

"263,000 New Jobs Added in April, More Than Expected, Wages Up 3.2% From A Year Ago"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckde.../#60ce55453a44

Old 06-08-2019, 08:20 AM

9,336 posts, read 7,165,342 times
although the Politics (and other) Forum, it would be helpful to the discussion if those who made the same charges/points day after day after day knew and posted the economics of the situations involved.

in the case of Wood-mode, there were warning signs, and it clearly wasn't profitable ENOUGH. Read the articles linked in this thread ... and know that in some other thread in the past couple of days, the PA government "emergency fund" is stepping in to take care of the employees the best it can. It is also hopeful if not likely the plant will re-open.

But shuttering the plant without the required 60 day notice is going to hurt that family ownership. Perhaps an employment expert can weigh in. They HAD TO give the 60 days notice, though that would only marginally improve the situation.

The guy got a loan mid-recession to "bail him out" of a cash crunch, which allowed them to keep the company open back then. That loan had to get paid some day, and as a former banker, I'd expect it was originally due years before 2019.

The company can have $100MM of orders, but if they can't make enough money to repay that loan and other obligations to their lenders (production lines of credit), it doesn't matter. And one suspects that's why the last minute buyer backed away.

Old 06-08-2019, 04:40 PM

19,868 posts, read 14,217,545 times
Quote:
Not MAGA.

I'm driving through Central PA -
Anecdotal evidence is of no value, and your observations aren't exactly trustworthy.

Old 06-08-2019, 04:59 PM

20,180 posts, read 12,100,888 times
I remember Hanover shoes, the textile industry, Canning factories, furniture, sewing factories, the god awful stink paper mills. Yea I grew up in that area and the parents of my friends all worked in one of those factories. Where I learned to sew at 16 - think most of its now gone.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:01 PM

13,532 posts, read 7,400,589 times
Quote:
He’s only fooling himself. Let an old man have his fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies