U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2019, 07:25 AM

22,894 posts, read 16,275,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
There are retailers that actually do this? Ask for donations? If so, that is your only complaint? You have no problem with them just showing support for the LGBT community, right?
The supermarkets, particularly, in my area do this all the time.
Over the past year we’ve gotten appeals to donate for safety equipment for local police departments, kids undergoing treatment for cancer, veterans, and in another month or so, the appeals will start for donations for school supplies.

Other places ask if we want to round up for some cause or other. Collecting for at risk youth and/or disabled adults is pretty common.

There is always need and there are always causes and all are deserving.
I suppose that there are people who could complain about “far right social issues” like bullet proof vests for cops, but only if you consider some of those being aided are less than human and undeserving of public support.

It’s really sad that even charity has to be filtered by politics, but here we are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 07:25 AM

14,699 posts, read 8,487,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I'm just fed up with being panhandled at retail transactions.
Agreed. And don't get me started on the irritating tip jars.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:26 AM

3,615 posts, read 1,204,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
When I see a commercial by a corporation that's actively promoting religious sentiments I don't go online and start thousands of posts deriding the company and calling them every name in the book. You people do. It's bizarre. If it's something THAT upsetting to me I simply refuse to buy their product and call it a day. Conservatives can't do that when it comes to LGBT issues.

No one is getting angry about anyone expressing opinions. Not sure where you're getting that. Companies "bug" their customers on a daily basis with advertising. I don't see any conservatives complaining about that until they show an ad supportive of a non-standard lifestyle. That's when conservative heads explode all over the internet. Why not just let it go like the rest of us? Why do you people care what other people do with their lives?
Very well said.

Or to repeat, if you don't like the way a company does business, then just take your money elsewhere. That's how free market that right-wingers and neoliberals like to boast about is supposed to work, right?

Old 06-09-2019, 07:26 AM

5,414 posts, read 2,742,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Yes, that's my complaint. If they want to take some of THEIR profits and donate to whatever cause they feel strongly about, fine by me. If some consumers decide not to patronize that place, that's their choice.

Sort of like when the Chik-Filet owner said he was opposed to gay marriage - lots of liberals boycotted the place. But the owner did not ask his customers to actually give money to some anti-gay marriage effort; he just expressed his own opinion.

And are you joking about being surprised that retailers ask for donations? It is very rare that I make a purchase somewhere without being asked to give money to whatever cause the company likes.

Then don't give and go about your day. Simple.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:28 AM

4,256 posts, read 2,091,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
We all know about Gilette's commercial, and how their razors are great for transgendered women. I've got another one:

MACY's. I was shopping there, and their cause of the week is the gay community apparently. Literally every 10 minutes, a recording came on the PA system about donating to the LBGTQR community. (I find these constant PA announcements annoying anyway.....like "attention Kmart shoppers.") Then, at checkout, I was asked if I would like to donate to help gay people.

And it's not just MACYs.If I have four errands to run, I will have been asked to donate to a special cause four times. Five errands, five times. It's a very annoying pattern that seems to be the Modus Operandi these days, and I wish it would stop. I give generously to charities of my own choosing and don't like being badgered for money at every turn.

I also wonder if these stores deduct the money they collect as a charitable deduction off their profits. Anyone know?
These corporations have one priority. Maximize profit. They have done the math and determined that this is good for the bottom line.

Do your homework and find other retailers to support.

Walmart?

Old 06-09-2019, 07:31 AM

5,414 posts, read 2,742,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Very well said.

Or to repeat, if you don't like the way a company does business, then take your money elsewhere. That's how free market that right-wingers and neoliberals like to boast about is supposed to work, right?

Exactly. I don't agree with the Chick-Fil-A stance on gay marriage but that's none of my business. I'm not gay so it doesn't matter to me in the slightest. They make a damn good chicken sandwich so I eat there from time to time not caring in the slightest about what their political stances are. A gay person may feel differently and choose not to patronize them. I don't let any of that ruin my day.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:33 AM

7,581 posts, read 2,228,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
The supermarkets, particularly, in my area do this all the time.
Over the past year we’ve gotten appeals to donate for safety equipment for local police departments, kids undergoing treatment for cancer, veterans, and in another month or so, the appeals will start for donations for school supplies.

Other places ask if we want to round up for some cause or other. Collecting for at risk youth and/or disabled adults is pretty common.

There is always need and there are always causes and all are deserving.
I suppose that there are people who could complain about “far right social issues” like bullet proof vests for cops, but only if you consider some of those being aided are less than human and undeserving of public support.

It’s really sad that even charity has to be filtered by politics, but here we are.
I disagree. Not all charities are deserving of money. Not all charities are managed correctly. Not all charities are helping the people that they pretend to help.

I have huge doubts about all those 'kids are hungry' charities, especially the 1 in 5 kids go to bed hungry promo that is used to emotionally batter adults into donating. From all the research I have done, I don't believe it. /shrug/

What do the retailers get out of it? Do they get a commission? A tax write off? What?

Old 06-09-2019, 07:36 AM

17,749 posts, read 8,877,523 times
Quote:
Exactly. I don't agree with the Chick-Fil-A stance on gay marriage but that's none of my business. I'm not gay so it doesn't matter to me in the slightest. They make a damn good chicken sandwich so I eat there from time to time not caring in the slightest about what their political stances are. A gay person may feel differently and choose not to patronize them. I don't let any of that ruin my day.
They don't use any social, nor political issues in their advertising nor in their restaurants, so Chik Fil A is a bad analogy. They aren't pushing anything political to sell chicken sandwiches. NONE of the owners private views are expressed at Chik Fil A.

In fact you see very little if any conservative views, or views expressed in corporate advertising. Most corps are headed by far leftist and therefore senior management are also leftists. That is why you always see liberal/progressive SJW causes being used to sell stuff today. They are using these Identity groups, and special interests in a very condescending manner to make money. Talk about corporate greed? It is the Leftists that are the greedy ones now. Nice, huh?

Old 06-09-2019, 07:36 AM

15,258 posts, read 4,025,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
I guess I got lucky. I ran into Macy's real quick last week to buy some cologne. I didn't see anything like that in there. The store was pretty much dead in an otherwise thriving mall though.
Moral of the story - visit dead stores about to close up and you won't have to deal with United Colors of Beneton.

Out here in Pitt - they have like 500,000 here for the combo of the 3 rivers art festival and Pride. Think about that. 1/2 million people. None of then I heard so far (and I am around younger couples...mostly all straight) have discussed gay issues.

They are just all having a good time.

I'm not sure why the Mummers Parade first started but people enjoy it.

Lots of people watching here In pitt - but, I promise, most people are certainly as ugly as everyone else. It's really rare...even with all young people...to see a couple who look like in the movies or in ads.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:39 AM

9,462 posts, read 2,327,806 times
Quote:
Then don't give and go about your day. Simple.
For some people, it is intolerable just to have their conscience pricked on their way to buy their Coach bags or whatever.

It's too much to think about all the pain and suffering around them in the world. Rather than consider the iniquities, the causes of the suffering, and ways to mitigate the pain and the sorrow, they just cry "make it go away!" or "Thoughts and Prayers" or some other unhelpful and hollow sentiment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or