U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2019, 11:15 AM

17,669 posts, read 8,845,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Observer View Post
This might be the first time we agree on something. I hate businesses that allow those Salvation Army moochers to camp out front. They ring their stupid bells and try to shove their religion down my throat with their “God bless yous.”
If you look a the stats of the best charities in the U.S., the Salvation Army is at the top. Way, way better than the United Way whose leadership gets rich off the donations and their administrative costs are off the charts. The money given to the Salvation Army actually goes to the people that NEED IT.

I respect your desire to not have their religion shoved down your throat and decision to not donate to them because of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 11:17 AM

3,336 posts, read 644,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Nah, you don't care if it's partisan, you only care if it's the wrong kind of partisan. As noted, you don't appear to mind the salvation army bell ringers, you don't appear to mind donations for cancer research. How about ending animal cruelty, does that trigger you? Nah, your anger is partisan. Duly noted.
You're too much of a leftist to even see your own hypocrisy.

CORPORATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ASKING THEIR CUSTOMERS TO SUPPORT THEIR OWN PARTISAN POLITICS.

Old 06-09-2019, 11:18 AM

1,350 posts, read 587,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Corporations should not be asking customers to support partisan causes that benefit a small percentage of people.
Who should decide what corporations should and should not do?

Old 06-09-2019, 11:23 AM

3,336 posts, read 644,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
The corporations. But I have the right to express my opinion - and that is that they shouldn't be badgering their customers for charitable donations at the POS every single time. It's annoying.

The problem is, liberals get enraged when you express an opinion they disagree with.

Old 06-09-2019, 11:26 AM

7,576 posts, read 2,223,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
If you look a the stats of the best charities in the U.S., the Salvation Army is at the top. Way, way better than the United Way whose leadership gets rich off the donations and their administrative costs are off the charts. The money given to the Salvation Army actually goes to the people that NEED IT.

I respect your desire to not have their religion shoved down your throat and decision to not donate to them because of it.
I live in a hurricane prone area.

After one of the really bad hurricane that destroyed a lot of homes, the Salvation Army opened the doors and let people take stuff FOR FREE.

Salvation Army truly gives to those in need.

Old 06-09-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
The corporations. But I have the right to express my opinion - and that is that they shouldn't be badgering their customers for charitable donations at the POS every single time. It's annoying.

The problem is, liberals get enraged when you express an opinion they disagree with.
Everyone's entitled to an opinion.

My opinion is that corporations should do whatever they want within the boundaries of the law.

Personally, if I were annoyed by a corporation, I would simply express my opinion by not doing business with that corporation. It's no big deal.

Old 06-09-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
If corporations want to have fund drives and collect goods, etc., go for it. Corporations can do what they want and support the causes they want. That's not the point. The point is making it part of the daily shopping experience.

Why is it part of MY transaction?
Why is it programmed into the debit reader?
Why does every single cashier ask me for money?

Old 06-09-2019, 11:30 AM

948 posts, read 373,756 times
Quote:
You're tilting at windmills a bit with the "angry liberals" schtick.

I'm not mad at you. I don't respect you, but I'm not mad at you.

Old 06-09-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
If corporations want to have fund drives and collect goods, etc., go for it. Corporations can do what they want and support the causes they want. That's not the point. The point is making it part of the daily shopping experience.

Why is it part of MY transaction?
Why is it programmed into the debit reader?
Why does every single cashier ask me for money?
I'm fairly certain the answer to all those questions is because the company you are doing business with has decided it to be that way. You would have to ask each business why they, individually, made those decisions. But there's nothing wrong with them making such decisions.

Old 06-09-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
I'm fairly certain the answer to all those questions is because the company you are doing business with has decided it to be that way. You would have to ask each business why they, individually, made those decisions. But there's nothing wrong with them making such decisions.
Are they operating as nonprofits?

At what point do they cease being a business and become a social funding group?

If a business was soliciting donations for churches would that be acceptable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or