U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-09-2019, 03:14 PM
 
Location: Somewhere below Mason/Dixon
6,522 posts, read 7,472,170 times
Reputation: 10928

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
So an employer should be able to fire an employee for being gay but not for other activities they participate in off the clock that you might agree with? Wouldn't that be selective discrimination against the LGBT community? Then again, in your ideal world homosexuality would be illegal and companies that didn't fire known homosexuals would probably be fined or worse.

#2 and #3 are things that the Christian Right has already attempted to do. The fact of the matter is there's just not enough people who are bothered enough by pro-LGBT corporate policies to make a boycott effective. I know a lot of older Baptists who are still boycotting Target because of their transgender bathroom stance but overall, it's not something a majority are really bothered by or if they are, at least not enough to stop shopping there.

While you are currently experiencing a moment of political dominance, the trends haven't changed and Christian fundamentalism is becoming less popular. Younger generations don't want to live in a society ruled by Old Testament law.
No I do not believe an employer should be able to fire someone for their off the clock activities and that includes ones I do not like. I support free speech and exercise of that free speech. Should an employer fire a man dressed as a woman who is on the clock? That should be up to them. Do they have the right to stop you from promoting a political agenda at work? Yes they do. Do companies have the right to not hire homosexuals? I believe they do have that right but once they are hired I do not believe the employer should have the right to fire them for any after work activities such as gay parades or other pro gay activities. I have taken up defense of people who are leftist who have been fired for after work political speech before. I do believe in free speech for everyone. That includes you, me, the KKK member, the Nazi, Antifa activist and any other crackpot who utters ridiculous speech. As Americans we are obligated to tolerate all kinds of ugly speech in defense of our cherished freedom. I would never advocate for the muzzling of anyone’s free speech by any institution, that IMO is the height of un American attitudes.

I believe you are wrong about us not being able to harm these corporations with boycotts. We did wound target and they are still feeling the effects of our boycott. I cited them because we did significantly weaken them. Their leadership however is very committed and they are willing to go down with the ship over their social agenda. I believe conservatives did not work together and communicate the need for the boycott well enough, and we did not stick with it over the long haul. I personally will never walk into a Target again but others have returned. We do however have an opportunity to get better organized and make a large impact. We Christian conservatives represent half of the population, in some states much more than that. If we band together we can drive these offenders down. You cite the young generations attitudes, what you mean is millennials. Some studies suggest that the new generation beneath the millennials deeply resents all the brain washing and leftism forced upon them by the millennial generation and that they may join the conservative side. Boomers and Gen Xers lean right, millennials to the far left and these new kids will decide the fate of the country. We will either return to our values or become a socialist dictatorship....time will tell. Most likely civil war will determine our future in the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-09-2019, 03:16 PM
 
14,188 posts, read 6,438,935 times
Reputation: 14640
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
No I do not believe an employer should be able to fire someone for their off the clock activities and that includes ones I do not like. I support free speech and exercise of that free speech. Should an employer fire a man dressed as a woman who is on the clock? That should be up to them. Do they have the right to stop you from promoting a political agenda at work? Yes they do. Do companies have the right to not hire homosexuals? I believe they do have that right but once they are hired I do not believe the employer should have the right to fire them for any after work activities such as gay parades or other pro gay activities. I have taken up defense of people who are leftist who have been fired for after work political speech before. I do believe in free speech for everyone. That includes you, me, the KKK member, the Nazi, Antifa activist and any other crackpot who utters ridiculous speech. As Americans we are obligated to tolerate all kinds of ugly speech in defense of our cherished freedom. I would never advocate for the muzzling of anyone’s free speech by any institution, that IMO is the height of un American attitudes.

I believe you are wrong about us not being able to harm these corporations with boycotts. We did wound target and they are still feeling the effects of our boycott. I cited them because we did significantly weaken them. Their leadership however is very committed and they are willing to go down with the ship over their social agenda. I believe conservatives did not work together and communicate the need for the boycott well enough, and we did not stick with it over the long haul. I personally will never walk into a Target again but others have returned. We do however have an opportunity to get better organized and make a large impact. We Christian conservatives represent half of the population, in some states much more than that. If we band together we can drive these offenders down. You cite the young generations attitudes, what you mean is millennials. Some studies suggest that the new generation beneath the millennials deeply resents all the brain washing and leftism forced upon them by the millennial generation and that they may join the conservative side. Boomers and Gen Xers lean right, millennials to the far left and these new kids will decide the fate of the country. We will either return to our values or become a socialist dictatorship....time will tell. Most likely civil war will determine our future in the end.
Boycott Target for what? And, you significantly weakened them? Lol, how so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2019, 03:19 PM
 
18,158 posts, read 11,145,668 times
Reputation: 9486
Republicans demanded the end of the Fairness Doctrine. Fox News has blossomed as a right wing news network. Corporations have the right to support whatever they want and conservative customers have the right to not buy from the corporations they disagree with. That is capitalism at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2019, 03:20 PM
 
Location: Divided Tribes of America
13,720 posts, read 5,531,975 times
Reputation: 5391
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
No I do not believe an employer should be able to fire someone for their off the clock activities and that includes ones I do not like. I support free speech and exercise of that free speech. Should an employer fire a man dressed as a woman who is on the clock? That should be up to them. Do they have the right to stop you from promoting a political agenda at work? Yes they do. Do companies have the right to not hire homosexuals? I believe they do have that right but once they are hired I do not believe the employer should have the right to fire them for any after work activities such as gay parades or other pro gay activities. I have taken up defense of people who are leftist who have been fired for after work political speech before. I do believe in free speech for everyone. That includes you, me, the KKK member, the Nazi, Antifa activist and any other crackpot who utters ridiculous speech. As Americans we are obligated to tolerate all kinds of ugly speech in defense of our cherished freedom. I would never advocate for the muzzling of anyone’s free speech by any institution, that IMO is the height of un American attitudes.

I believe you are wrong about us not being able to harm these corporations with boycotts. We did wound target and they are still feeling the effects of our boycott. I cited them because we did significantly weaken them. Their leadership however is very committed and they are willing to go down with the ship over their social agenda. I believe conservatives did not work together and communicate the need for the boycott well enough, and we did not stick with it over the long haul. I personally will never walk into a Target again but others have returned. We do however have an opportunity to get better organized and make a large impact. We Christian conservatives represent half of the population, in some states much more than that. If we band together we can drive these offenders down. You cite the young generations attitudes, what you mean is millennials. Some studies suggest that the new generation beneath the millennials deeply resents all the brain washing and leftism forced upon them by the millennial generation and that they may join the conservative side. Boomers and Gen Xers lean right, millennials to the far left and these new kids will decide the fate of the country. We will either return to our values or become a socialist dictatorship....time will tell. Most likely civil war will determine our future in the end.
Jesus would be proud of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2019, 03:26 PM
 
8,056 posts, read 7,315,809 times
Reputation: 6416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
OH.....this is a good one! This liberal ^^^ thinks I have a problem with gay people, so it's intimating that I would freak out if people thought I was gay. Jeez.....you liberals are so high and mighty. All I said was that I find it annoying when retail companies take up liberal causes by badgering their customers for donations at the POS.
It has nothing to do with liberal/conservative or left/right. Don't donate. Tune out LGBT ads like all the other PSAs. Thou doth protest too much, methinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2019, 04:26 PM
 
Location: Phila Pa
2,758 posts, read 1,952,262 times
Reputation: 1043
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
It has nothing to do with liberal/conservative or left/right. Don't donate. Tune out LGBT ads like all the other PSAs. Thou doth protest too much, methinks.
For the most part the divide on any LGBT issue is more generational, then silly left/right or conservative/liberal titles. The younger you are, the more likely you will support the LGBT community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2019, 04:45 PM
 
Location: Phila Pa
2,758 posts, read 1,952,262 times
Reputation: 1043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Yes, that's my complaint. If they want to take some of THEIR profits and donate to whatever cause they feel strongly about, fine by me. If some consumers decide not to patronize that place, that's their choice.

Sort of like when the Chik-Filet owner said he was opposed to gay marriage - lots of liberals boycotted the place. But the owner did not ask his customers to actually give money to some anti-gay marriage effort; he just expressed his own opinion.

And are you joking about being surprised that retailers ask for donations? It is very rare that I make a purchase somewhere without being asked to give money to whatever cause the company likes.

No joke, was asking a question. Even though I am not a frequent visitor of many retailers, I can not recall ever being asked for donations on anything, let alone LGBT causes. But from reading other posters claims as well as yours I am now aware. I am aware of Target for example selling pride gear and clothing. It is their choice to do so, and consumers choice to buy or not buy. Your ok with that I assume?

How about the athletic community and sports teams having pride nights? A portion of proceeds from ticket sales do go to various LGBT organizations, but no one is personally asking you to buy a ticket. Your OK with that I assume?

How about Corporations, Entertainment, and Big Sports boycotting states that attempt to pass laws that they would consider discriminatory. Consumers at that point can decide if they want to support or boycott those such entities. Your Ok with that I assume?

On the Chic-Fila issue, I often tell friends from the LGBT community, they come down to hard on Chic-Fila. Yes they once donated to organizations that oppose gay marriage, but have backed off for the most part. They have hiring practices that would never exclude anyone based on sexual orientation. They also donated food and other services to the victims and families of the Orlando gay bar shooting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2019, 04:55 PM
 
Location: Phila Pa
2,758 posts, read 1,952,262 times
Reputation: 1043
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
No I do not believe an employer should be able to fire someone for their off the clock activities and that includes ones I do not like. I support free speech and exercise of that free speech. Should an employer fire a man dressed as a woman who is on the clock? That should be up to them. Do they have the right to stop you from promoting a political agenda at work? Yes they do. Do companies have the right to not hire homosexuals? I believe they do have that right but once they are hired I do not believe the employer should have the right to fire them for any after work activities such as gay parades or other pro gay activities. I have taken up defense of people who are leftist who have been fired for after work political speech before. I do believe in free speech for everyone. That includes you, me, the KKK member, the Nazi, Antifa activist and any other crackpot who utters ridiculous speech. As Americans we are obligated to tolerate all kinds of ugly speech in defense of our cherished freedom. I would never advocate for the muzzling of anyone’s free speech by any institution, that IMO is the height of un American attitudes.

I believe you are wrong about us not being able to harm these corporations with boycotts. We did wound target and they are still feeling the effects of our boycott. I cited them because we did significantly weaken them. Their leadership however is very committed and they are willing to go down with the ship over their social agenda. I believe conservatives did not work together and communicate the need for the boycott well enough, and we did not stick with it over the long haul. I personally will never walk into a Target again but others have returned. We do however have an opportunity to get better organized and make a large impact. We Christian conservatives represent half of the population, in some states much more than that. If we band together we can drive these offenders down. You cite the young generations attitudes, what you mean is millennials. Some studies suggest that the new generation beneath the millennials deeply resents all the brain washing and leftism forced upon them by the millennial generation and that they may join the conservative side. Boomers and Gen Xers lean right, millennials to the far left and these new kids will decide the fate of the country. We will either return to our values or become a socialist dictatorship....time will tell. Most likely civil war will determine our future in the end.

I do not know what it is you do for a living, but in many cases if a particular employee even outside place of employment does something or says something that could cause a major distraction within the work place, whether it be with fellow employees or customers and effect the outcome of the business, an employer certainly should have the right to fire someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2019, 04:58 PM
 
Location: Divided Tribes of America
13,720 posts, read 5,531,975 times
Reputation: 5391
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
No joke, was asking a question. Even though I am not a frequent visitor of many retailers, I can not recall ever being asked for donations on anything, let alone LGBT causes. But from reading other posters claims as well as yours I am now aware. I am aware of Target for example selling pride gear and clothing. It is their choice to do so, and consumers choice to buy or not buy. Your ok with that I assume?

How about the athletic community and sports teams having pride nights? A portion of proceeds from ticket sales do go to various LGBT organizations, but no one is personally asking you to buy a ticket. Your OK with that I assume?

How about Corporations, Entertainment, and Big Sports boycotting states that attempt to pass laws that they would consider discriminatory. Consumers at that point can decide if they want to support or boycott those such entities. Your Ok with that I assume?

On the Chic-Fila issue, I often tell friends from the LGBT community, they come down to hard on Chic-Fila. Yes they once donated to organizations that oppose gay marriage, but have backed off for the most part. They have hiring practices that would never exclude anyone based on sexual orientation. They also donated food and other services to the victims and families of the Orlando gay bar shooting.
Chic-Fila is a new fast food chain that sells athletic shoes along with the chicken sandwiches. They want to encourage running to burn off the extra calories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2019, 05:57 PM
 
Location: California
30,702 posts, read 33,496,337 times
Reputation: 26130
I mostly just see it online and I KNOW the internet is bought and paid for by leftist shills so it's easier to ignore it. IRL I don't see much of the crap I see online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top